ajk

Submission of I-129F from abroad

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just a quick question to put my mind at ease.

Am I correct in thinking there is no problem with my fiancée (petitioner) submitting the I-129F petition and relevant documents from a UK address (this would be the address used in Part A: Information about you)? We are both currently living together in the UK.

I believe there shouldn't be a problem with doing this as it states in the I-129F instructions that you should "mail your petition to USCIS Service Center listed above that has jurisdiction over the place you last lived in the United States" when "If you live outside the United States". I realise that it seems pretty obvious that you can submit the petition from an address outside the US, just wanted to know if anybody had successfully done this.

Also, is it fairly simple to make a change to this address during the process of the application as my fiancée will be returning to the US before the process is completed?

Andrew

If your fiancee is living in the UK and has been for a while, why not do DCF instead of a K1? Read the guides (above) about DCF and see if it would suit your case.

Edited by TracyTN
SA4userbar.jpg

A question you'll have to answer whether you do a K-1 or a DCF is whether or not your American fiancee is still domiciled in the States.

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thanks for your quick response.

I checked the information you pointed me to and my understanding is that under the DCF scheme we would have to get married in the UK, we would prefer to get married in the US as she has more family and friends that would want to attend the marriage.

She (petitioner) is currently in the UK on a 6 month visa, due to expire at the end of July. As such she is currently completing the I-129F petition with the UK address as her present address.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

You can file from the UK no problem... I did it from Thailand and now my wife and I are living in the US after entering with a K1.

12/15/2005 - Sent I-129F to Vermont Service Center

12/17/2005 - VSC receives I-129F via express courier (day 1)

12/23/2005 - VSC officially sends out NOA1 stating receipt

01/05/2006 - Called the National Service Center and got NOA1 receipt number.

01/10/2006 - NOA2 received via USCIS website and email. VSC is blazingly fast! (day 22!)

01/20/2006 - Receive NOA2 via snail mail in Thailand

01/26/2006 - Bangkok Embassy confirms our case is in their system (day 38)

01/30/2006 - Dropped off checklist and doc's with embassy

01/31/2006 - Received email from embassy confirming our interview date 3/20/06! Woohoo! (day 43)

02/08/2006 - Received police report and packet 4

03/01/2006 - Medical Exam completed

03/20/2006 - Interview! (day 91)- SUCCESS!

03/21/2006 - Picked up VISA!

04/04/2006 - Fly to USA together to get officially married in US and to start our life there together!

04/07/2006 - Arrived at JFK, C received temp EAD stamp. Drove to MD to live!

04/20/2006 - Applied for SS Card in maiden name, received it 3 days later

05/12/2006 - Officially married in the US! (2nd ceremony)

05/15/2006 - US Reception

05/16/2006 - Applied for new SS card with married name - Applied for EAD

06/01/2006 - Applied for AOS I-485

10/27/2006 - EAD Approved!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.