Pandora01

Travel advice and proof of relationship

22 posts in this topic

I don't anticipate any problems, but I can tell already when I crossed border in April that they have my information linked to my passport already ... the questions the Border Guard had were more intense then before! He was a little frustrated with me because when I said I was going to Portland, he got snipey and said "which one? we have 5 you know!" I kinda cringed at that ... don't need to be upsetting them!

i have crossed twice since we filed. the first time wasn't too bad but the second... yowza! as soon as i said 'fiance' they scanned my passport and asked all kinds of questions about the K1, how i met david, and so on. i always enjoy the "how would a woman from toronto meet a man from chicago?" as if it's some totally crazy thing that would never, ever happen. :lol: they didn't ask to see any paperwork but it was a bit nerve wracking. it's definitely worth taking as much paperwork as you can to ensure you have lots of documentation on your side.

I'm still a bit nervous about the trip but then, I'm always nervous when I have to cross the border. I've never done anything wrong so I guess I'm just the nervous type!

i'm the same way. i think my parents made me paranoid on all those car trips back and forth across the ambassador bridge in windsor/detroit. i have such vivid memories of being told to "be quiet and don't move!!!" when we crossed the border. heehee. :star:

i'm sure you'll do just fine! :thumbs:

erin

Thanks, Erin. Maybe I should use the word boyfriend instead of fiance when crossing. Maybe that would make a difference. And then again, might create more trouble. Argh... One thing is sure, I can hardly wait for this whole process to be over and to be living with my darling.

About having paperwork, my sweetie sent me a copy of the NOA1 and I'll be sure to have a letter from my employer stating he's expecting me back at work.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

hello,

I was in the same boat as you in march, I wanted to visit my fiance for 2 weeks so my parents could meet his. The week I was scheduled to leave they had sent a letter to my fiance saying that the case had moved to the NVC (after NOA2). I drove through the border and flew from seattle. I had brought with me my entire copy of the K1 package, my car insurance papers, and a notice from my dentist to show I was coming back, (plus a return ticket).

At the border the guard asked us why we were going, I said "to visit friends for two weeks", he looked at my flight itinerary, and all of our passports, then handed them back and said "have a good day". I have learned unfortunately that if you mention boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance etc... they get very suspicious, so just say "visiting friends" you're not lying... after all, your fiance should be one of your very best friends in the world :)

good luck on your trip!

K-1 Process:

I-129F Sent : 2007-10-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-11

Interview Date : 2008-06-11

Visa Received : 2008-06-13

US Entry : 2008-06-16

applied for SSN: 2008-07-02

SSN arrived: 2008-07-21

Marriage : 2008-08-16

AOS/EAD/AP:

Mailed AOS pkg: 2008-09-06

pkg arrived: 2008-09-08

NOA1 issue date: 2008-09-11

received NOA1's: 2008-09-15

Biometrics letter: 2008-09-18

RFE email from CRIS: 2008-09-26

Bio appt in St.Paul: 2008-10-01

Received RFE: 2008-10-01 - for w-2s and joint sponsor Birth Cert.

Mailed RFE: 2008-10-18

Case resumed: 2008-10-22

Transferred to CSC: 2008-11-03

I-485 touches: 2008-11-04, 2009-01-12

EAD approved: 2008-11-18

AP approved: 2008-11-19

EAD, AP arrived: 2008-11-28

I-485 approved: 2009-02-12

GreenCard Recieved: 2009-02-20

hello,

I was in the same boat as you in march, I wanted to visit my fiance for 2 weeks so my parents could meet his. The week I was scheduled to leave they had sent a letter to my fiance saying that the case had moved to the NVC (after NOA2). I drove through the border and flew from seattle. I had brought with me my entire copy of the K1 package, my car insurance papers, and a notice from my dentist to show I was coming back, (plus a return ticket).

At the border the guard asked us why we were going, I said "to visit friends for two weeks", he looked at my flight itinerary, and all of our passports, then handed them back and said "have a good day". I have learned unfortunately that if you mention boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance etc... they get very suspicious, so just say "visiting friends" you're not lying... after all, your fiance should be one of your very best friends in the world :)

good luck on your trip!

Thanks for the insight, Emily. I do remember that on my last trip (last summer), I said I was visiting my boyfriend and the officer asked to see my return ticket. That was it though, no further questioning out of the usual (length of stay, address where you'll be staying and such). And yup, it wouldn't be lying indeed, 'cause my sweetheart and I were best friends before we fell in love and we still are :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

As to the Skype History, you'll see a tab in Skype called "History", up where the other tabs for Contacts, Live, SkypeFind etc are. Simply click on that and it'll show you every call you've made or received (as well as all Skype chats made/received). It's how I plan to show communication with my boy while I've been back in Australia.

Since we both play mmorpg's (although, surprisingly, this ISN'T how we met!) I'm also screenshotting the chatlog in-game. I don't know how much help that will be since we're under character names, but who knows, it may help. I'm just grateful I have a LOT of photos of us together, since I was physically with him for over 8 months while I lived in the States.

July 2007 - met Jesse at a beach party held by mutual friends in Long Island, NY

May 2008 - J-1 visa expired, had to move back to Australia

July 2008-September 2008 - lived with Jesse for three months in Staten Island, NY

March 2009 - Jesse comes to Australia for 3 weeks

April 2009 - Engaged!

05/20/09 - I-129F petition mailed in

05/22/09 - NOA1!

05/25/09 - touch

09/09/09 - NOA2!

10/01/09 - due to fiance's illness, we are abandoning pursuit of K-1 at this point. Packet 3 received from consulate but won't be returned.

arnie.jpg

Our baby boy, Arnie.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi everyone,

We are currently waiting to receive the NOA2 from CSC (K-1 petition filed in January). I was planning to travel to the US to see my fiance at the end of June but now that things have picked up at CSC, I'm not sure if it would be wise or not. I will have moved in with my dad just a few days prior to the trip (didn't want to renew the lease for a full year and have trouble trying to terminate it). That would leave me with basically just a letter from my employer to prove my intent to come back here at the end of my vacation. Do you think it would be enough proof? Are there any other proofs I could bring with me to show my intent to return? I can't think of anything else.

I also read somewhere on this site that once the background check is done, traveling might mean an additional delay as they would have to do some additional checks. Any idea what the additional delay might be? A week? A month? More? Also, at what stage of the whole process is this background check done?

I was hoping for this trip so we could take pictures of ourselves together since we didn't when we saw each other last summer (didn't know about the need for those). We talk on Skype just about everyday and e-mail as well. Can't prove the Skype conversations so would e-mails alone be good enough to prove our relationship at the interview?

I really don't know what to do now and what to think and need some input from you folks. Hope you can help me see more clearly in all this.

For my husband and I, the proof we were told we needed from the guards at customs when trying to enter the US was a hard copy of a non-refundable plane ticket back. That is what we were told we needed to show intent of return to home country. I hope this helps some!

zachsmile2ym1.jpg

Married 3/15/07

USCIS:

NOA1: 5/23/2008

NOA2: 9/12/2008

NVC:

They received: 9/24/2008

Case Complete: 12/1/2008

Interview: 03/24/2009

Received approved visa (after RFE in interview): 04/21/2009

I will definitely have that with me 'cause unfortunately, it's not time for me to start living with my darling. I can't bare the wait :(:wacko: But I digress. Yup, I'll have that and a letter from my employer, just to be safe. Thanks, shiri :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.