erintoronto

input / advice re: bankruptcy

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

so i'm in a bit of a situation. i'm drowning in debt. i was advised to declare bankruptcy about a year ago. instead i did my best until january and then i got a loan. this loan is causing massive strain at the moment. this morning i also found out that david will be out of a job by the end of july and is now considering going back to school so he can get ahead again. i support him fully but this means that my move to the US, and the K1 we filed, might be out the window due to our financial limitations. :crying:

i guess i have 2 questions:

1. how difficult is the bankruptcy process in canada?

2. will bankruptcy cause problems in my K1 process?

thanks in advance.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
so i'm in a bit of a situation. i'm drowning in debt. i was advised to declare bankruptcy about a year ago. instead i did my best until january and then i got a loan. this loan is causing massive strain at the moment. this morning i also found out that david will be out of a job by the end of july and is now considering going back to school so he can get ahead again. i support him fully but this means that my move to the US, and the K1 we filed, might be out the window due to our financial limitations. :crying:

i guess i have 2 questions:

1. how difficult is the bankruptcy process in canada?

2. will bankruptcy cause problems in my K1 process?

thanks in advance.

Hi,

I don't know much about bankruptcy - however you will probably want to find a good bankruptcy lawyer to advise you and take it from there.

Since you are the person being sponsored, U.S. immigration isn't actually interested in your finances. Assuming David will be your sponsor, if he is unemployed, you will need a joint sponsor.

I answered in the other thread you posted :star:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The bankruptcy process in any country is horrible to go through, so I don't envy you. I don't think this will effect your K-1 except that your fiance is going to need a co-sponsor if he is unemployed too. Once you get to the US, no-one down there will look at your Canadian finances - we all start with zero credit (for the most part).

Removal of Conditions I-751

07.23.2018 Sent I-751 Priority Express to CSC (California)

08.02.2018 18 month Green Card extension letter

07.16.2019 Biometrics complete

09.04.2019 Case transferred to Lee's Summit, MO (NBC)

03.22.2021 New card in production

03.23.2021 I-751 approval notice (without interview)

03.27.2021 10-year green card received

N400 Naturalization Application

07.22.2019 Online application; USCIS estimated completion Sept 2020

07.31.2019 Biometrics complete

12.18.2020 Contacted State Senator (I-751 pending for more than 2 years)

05.10.2021 Interview  - recommended for approval

06.03.2021 Oath day...finally done!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

A previous boyfriend of mine in Canada went through the bankruptcy process in Canada about 6 years ago. It was a very simple process actually, but he was required to go through some "bankruptcy counselling" before it was all finalized. The counselling is to try to ensure that bankruptcy doesn't occur again in the future. He did not use a lawyer, but I can't remember how he got the process started.

They say that after bankruptcy, it will take 7 years before you can get any credit again. That was not the case for my friend. He was able to buy a truck and get credit again after only about 5 years.

I would do some online research and then make a decision about whether bankruptcy would be the answer for you.

"THE SHORT STORY"

KURT & RAYMA (K-1 Visa)

Oct. 9/03... I-129F sent to NSC

June 10/04... K-1 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

July 31/04... Entered U.S.

Aug. 28/04... WEDDING DAY!!!!

Aug. 30/04... I-485, I-765 & I-131 sent to Seattle

Dec. 10/04... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport stamped)

Sept. 9/06... I-751 sent to NSC

May 15/07... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Sept. 13/07... N-400 sent to NSC

Aug. 21/08... Interview - PASSED!!!!

Sept. 2/08... Oath Ceremony

Sept. 5/08... Sent in Voter Registration Card

Sept. 9/08... SSA office to change status to "U.S. citizen"

Oct. 8/08... Applied in person for U.S. Passport

Oct. 22/08... U.S. Passport received

DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!! DONE!!!

KAELY (K-2 Visa)

Apr. 6/05... DS-230, Part I faxed to Vancouver Consulate

May 26/05... K-2 Interview - APPROVED!!!!

Sept. 5/05... Entered U.S.

Sept. 7/05... I-485 & I-131 sent to CLB

Feb. 22/06... AOS Interview - APPROVED!!!!! (Passport NOT stamped)

Dec. 4/07... I-751 sent to NSC

May 23/08... 10-Yr. PR Card arrives in the mail

Mar. 22/11.... N-400 sent to AZ

June 27/11..... Interview - PASSED!!!

July 12/11..... Oath Ceremony

We're NOT lawyers.... just your average folks who had to find their own way!!!!! Anything we post here is simply our own opinions/suggestions/experiences and should not be taken as LAW!!!!

Timeline

thanks all for your input and advice.

i assumed the co-sponsor part. not sure if that will be an issue as it's something we have yet to discuss. i am hopeful that we will figure it out.

i am happy to hear that bankruptcy can happen, even if unpleasant. i am not sure if i will be able to declare bankruptcy but have an appointment on monday with a bankruptcy trustee to discuss my situation. one day at a time. :)

thanks all for your input and advice.

i assumed the co-sponsor part. not sure if that will be an issue as it's something we have yet to discuss. i am hopeful that we will figure it out.

i am happy to hear that bankruptcy can happen, even if unpleasant. i am not sure if i will be able to declare bankruptcy but have an appointment on monday with a bankruptcy trustee to discuss my situation. one day at a time. :)

I'm glad you're going in to talk to someone. Maybe that person can advise on a financial plan that won't involve bankruptcy as well. I know I've seen advertising of companies, mainly accountants I think, that offer some support in handling your debt, by writing letters to creditors etc. in hopes you don't have to declare bankruptcy. Best of luck to you! (F)

carlahmsb4.gif

Timeline
I'm glad you're going in to talk to someone. Maybe that person can advise on a financial plan that won't involve bankruptcy as well. I know I've seen advertising of companies, mainly accountants I think, that offer some support in handling your debt, by writing letters to creditors etc. in hopes you don't have to declare bankruptcy. Best of luck to you! (F)

thank you! :star:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.