8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Can someone tell me what needs to be done in the case of an annulment? How does one prove that an annulment occurred when the paperwork has been lost and the courhouse doesn't have it on file? There has been subsequent marriages so it's assumed that the records indicate the previous marriage has legally ended. However, when applying for a k-3, how can it be approved when annulment papers can't be included? If this marriage isn't listed on the petition, they will still discover it due to the background check so I'm not sure what can be done. This marriage occurred more than 20 years ago.

Can someone shed any light on this please?

Edited by Carol and Bruno

Our K-1 Timeline

01/12/08: Attorney mailed petition to CSC

01/22/08: NOA1

05/27/08: NOA2

06/03/08: NVC received

06/04/08: NVC forwarded to Rio de Janeiro consulate

06/09/08: Consulate received

06/23/08: Packet 3 sent

08/19/08: Interview!! (Approved!!)

08/27/08: Visa in hand

09/12/08: POE (Washington DC)

09/25/08: Applied for Social Security card

10/06/08: Social Security card received

11/12/08: Marriage!!

AOS Timeline

03/21/09: Mailed AOS docs to Chicago

03/23/09: AOS packet received in Chicago

03/31/09: NOA1

04/03/09: NOA1 Received (His Birthday!!)

04/17/09: Received notice that our case was transferred to CSC on 4/13/09

04/17/09: My case has been entered into the USCIS system!!

04/23/09: Biometrics appointment

05/11/09: AP approved

05/12/09: Case arrived at CSC for further processing

05/13/09: EAD approved

05/13/09: AOS Touched

05/14/09: AP received

05/15/09: EAD card received

06/25/09: Card production ordered

07/06/09: Approval notice sent

07/06/09: Card Received!!!

Removal of Conditions

03/23/11: Will mail I-751

Citizenship

03/23/12: Will mail N-400

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Not sure, I know that when I filed my paperwork I had to include my husband's divorce certificate as well as mine as we were both married previously. I remember getting asked over and over and over again for our marriage license and divorce documents. I sent them in so many times to different locations. It was crazy. If the paperwork shows that your partner was married I would think that the US would want an original of the annulment. I also hope that you've known this person for a long time as you said the word, marriages, and that kinda startled me.

Edited by gemilina

If the paperwork shows that your partner was married I would think that the US would want an original of the annulment.

So maybe if it's not listed on the K-3, then it might go undiscovered. It seems like a big risk, but not sure what else can be done. I'm not sure if background checks are able to obtain previous marriages or if they just go off of the information supplied on the petition.

It seems impossible to acquire this documentation, but since there was a subsequent marriage to an american and then the current marriage to the foreign beneficiary of the k-3, then it stands to reason that these marriages were legal.

Thanks for your reply.

Our K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

.png

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I would think that you might have an issue about not disclosing the marriage. Typically when a woman marries she takes her husband's name (not always of course). If this was the case then this 'other' name should come up when doing a check on her. It's not something I would not want to leave out. That's a pretty big thing to forget for USCIS.

I would think that you might have an issue about not disclosing the marriage. Typically when a woman marries she takes her husband's name (not always of course). If this was the case then this 'other' name should come up when doing a check on her. It's not something I would not want to leave out. That's a pretty big thing to forget for USCIS.

Carol/Bruno,

Hi, read your posting, sometimes a woman does not take a mans name, and dont have anything changed over such as drivers license, S.S. card, credit cards etc. But from what I read this person had another marriage and terminalted it legally, and did or will disclose this to USCIS. Sounds like person has done nothing legally / criminaly wrong. Sometimes people make mistakes, and only hurt themselfs. Its not like they robbed a bank and trying to hide a criminal history.

And if a anulment did not take place, how could he or she of gotten marrired again??? I think it would of been discovered at time of second marriage license persuit or how ever many times they were married.

Maybe a Affadavit she or he can do may take care of probelms if they occur. I know when I tried to apply for marriage overseas, the U.S. embassy had me sign a Affadavit stating I was free to marry outside of U.S. and they never ask for my divorce papers. I had them with me, and could prove my names from my maiden name to the man I divorced several years later. I just took a oath and signed the paper. But if its a lady, and never took his name, cant see how anyone would know. We all have our little embarssing innocent secrets, does not make them a criminal for something like this.

But to answer your question, I think its only criminal check. FBI lists, law authorties, and terrorist lists name hits, and of course the finger prints. Dont think it covers civil such as marriges. But will cover arrests records with U.S. authorties and etc.

I wish him or her the best of luck. Like I said we all have something in our past which is minor, but we want to forget about, It only hurts ourselfs.

I hope this has helped.

Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Maybe a Affadavit she or he can do may take care of probelms if they occur. I know when I tried to apply for marriage overseas, the U.S. embassy had me sign a Affadavit stating I was free to marry outside of U.S. and they never ask for my divorce papers. I had them with me, and could prove my names from my maiden name to the man I divorced several years later. I just took a oath and signed the paper. But if its a lady, and never took his name, cant see how anyone would know.

Well, maybe the affadavit will work. This information really needs to be disclosed on the petition. Maybe a phone call to the USCIS might shed some light on this though I doubt that those answering the phones can say anthing more than "Your petition has been received and is pending". Anyhow, it's worth a try.

Thanks Paris Heart

Our K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

.png

Maybe a Affadavit she or he can do may take care of probelms if they occur. I know when I tried to apply for marriage overseas, the U.S. embassy had me sign a Affadavit stating I was free to marry outside of U.S. and they never ask for my divorce papers. I had them with me, and could prove my names from my maiden name to the man I divorced several years later. I just took a oath and signed the paper. But if its a lady, and never took his name, cant see how anyone would know.

By the way, the ex-husband's name was never taken and there are no connections what so ever to him because nothing was shared or tied to social security numbers.

Thanks you two for your replies....they're appreciated.

Edited by Carol and Bruno

Our K-1 Timeline

AOS Timeline

Removal of Conditions

Citizenship

.png

By the way, the ex-husband's name was never taken and there are no connections what so ever to him because nothing was shared or tied to social security numbers.

Thanks you two for your replies....they're appreciated.

I knew of a girl a very long time ago, she was very young married this man much older then her, and found out he was already married. The marriage was only 3 months old when she found, she too never took his name or anything. Come to find out, the marriage was never even consumated, that should of been her first sign. He only married her cause he did not have a home, and she had money in the bank, so in term , he used her. And she was ashamed, I too never would mention this if I was her. Like I said, we all we our little innocent secrets that only hurt ourselfs, but we live with them cause we are too ashamed that we will be judge by others. But this girl is no criminal, she is truly the victim.

Paris Heart

Truly happy!!!

New life, new adventures, and a new attitude.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.