NCWife

How do you cope leaving your family behind?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

Hey CL79,

It was definitely tough flying over here from Kuala Lumpur for me back in September 2006. We are residing in NC too.

The first nine months was a time for me to adjust to the lifestyle here in NC. It was as if being reborn again in another world. Even though everything starts from scratch, now I look back, it has been a worthwhile journey.

My family in Malaysia also adjusted and gotten used to me being here in US. I haven't been back for over 1.5years now. Looking forward to go back sometime next year.

Allow yourself time to learn and accept the lifestyle here. Definitely maintain a posture of being teachable and humble as well. Folks here in NC are friendly and loves to offer their "southern hospitality"

By the meantime, cherish every moment while in Malaysia!

Honestly, I missed the food more now, since I get to connect with my family, but not the food..hehehe..

All the best in your interview!

December 2004 --- Met in Japan while Grace studied and Josh worked as an English Teacher

March 2005--------- Official courtship begun

June 2005---------- Grace returned to Malaysia to complete her degree studies

August 2005-------- Josh went to Malaysia for his first visit

December 2005---- Josh and Grace went to Thailand and Josh proposed in Phuket!

22 February 2006-- Filed petition I-129f

27 February 2006-- NOA 1

31 March 2006----- Josh met Grace in Malaysia and did pre marital counselling in a dynamic church!!

28 April 2006------- NOA 2 [ great timing for Grace just finished her finals on the 26th, praise God]

19 May 2006-------- NVC received case and gave out case number

4 June 2006--------- Packet 3 obtained

9 June 2006--------- Self collected Packet 4 in the embassy

10 June 2006-------- Medical examination

22 June 2006-------- Interview!! --- A.P.P.R.O.V.E.D ---

26 June 2006-------- Visa in hand..

15 September 2006- U.S. entry with Josh

14 October 2006----- Marriage ceremony!!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline
Hey CL79,

It was definitely tough flying over here from Kuala Lumpur for me back in September 2006. We are residing in NC too.

The first nine months was a time for me to adjust to the lifestyle here in NC. It was as if being reborn again in another world. Even though everything starts from scratch, now I look back, it has been a worthwhile journey.

My family in Malaysia also adjusted and gotten used to me being here in US. I haven't been back for over 1.5years now. Looking forward to go back sometime next year.

Allow yourself time to learn and accept the lifestyle here. Definitely maintain a posture of being teachable and humble as well. Folks here in NC are friendly and loves to offer their "southern hospitality"

By the meantime, cherish every moment while in Malaysia!

Honestly, I missed the food more now, since I get to connect with my family, but not the food..hehehe..

All the best in your interview!

Uh-oh, no Malaysian food in NC? :( Looks like I will have to stuff my face with all the good ol' Malaysian yummies before I fly off.... :blink: Hehe...

Anyways, thank you so much for your advice and words of encouragement. Strange enough, your words made me feel a lot better, probably because knowing there is another Malaysian who has been through this journey, this heartbreaking moment and also now residing in NC. Where in NC, may I ask? My fiance lives in Charlotte. I believe I would not have a problem adjusting to the lifestyle there especially with the help and support of my fiance who has moved from Michigan to NC last year, so he's also learning about the people and the places there.

Wow... I can imagine how ecstatic you'll be when you finally get to go home next year to visit your family! Don't we just wish that our country is not that far away where we can go back often :(

:star:

“You need to be aware of what others are doing, applaud their efforts, acknowledge their successes, and encourage them in their pursuits. When we all help one another, everybody wins.” - Jim Stovall -

Our Journey

2008-08-15 .......... Married on K-1!!!!

2009-08-28 .......... Sent AOS (I-485 and I-765) Application to Chicago

2009-09-11 .......... NOA 1 for I-485 and I-765

2009-09-25 .......... Biometrics Appointment in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-08 .......... EAD Approved (CRIS update)

2009-10-08 .......... I-485 Touched, I-485 Case transferred to CSC (CRIS update)

2009-10-09 .......... Biometrics Appointment #2 in Charlotte, NC (walk-in)

2009-10-15 .......... I-485 Case transferred to USCIS office

2009-10-16 .......... I-485 Touched, EAD card arrived in the mail

2009-10-19 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-04 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-05 .......... I-485 RFE (CRIS update)

2009-11-06 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-10 .......... RFE arrived in the mail

2009-11-12 .......... RFE response sent back to CSC

2009-11-17 .......... RFE Received at CSC (CRIS update)

2009-11-18 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-23 .......... I-485 Notice that new permanent resident status has been registered

2009-11-24 .......... I-485 Card production ordered

2009-11-25 .......... I-485 Touched

2009-11-30 .......... I-485 Approval Notice sent, Permanent Resident Card in the mail!!!

Timeline

Yeah!! I wish I could just go to mamak at night and pasar malam every week!!

We are living in Greensboro,NC which is about 2 hours away from Charlotte.

I am sure you will enjoy the lifestyle in Charlotte.

Cheers my friend!

December 2004 --- Met in Japan while Grace studied and Josh worked as an English Teacher

March 2005--------- Official courtship begun

June 2005---------- Grace returned to Malaysia to complete her degree studies

August 2005-------- Josh went to Malaysia for his first visit

December 2005---- Josh and Grace went to Thailand and Josh proposed in Phuket!

22 February 2006-- Filed petition I-129f

27 February 2006-- NOA 1

31 March 2006----- Josh met Grace in Malaysia and did pre marital counselling in a dynamic church!!

28 April 2006------- NOA 2 [ great timing for Grace just finished her finals on the 26th, praise God]

19 May 2006-------- NVC received case and gave out case number

4 June 2006--------- Packet 3 obtained

9 June 2006--------- Self collected Packet 4 in the embassy

10 June 2006-------- Medical examination

22 June 2006-------- Interview!! --- A.P.P.R.O.V.E.D ---

26 June 2006-------- Visa in hand..

15 September 2006- U.S. entry with Josh

14 October 2006----- Marriage ceremony!!

You have to forget all about them. When you come to America, you become American. Being American means hating all foreigners, even your own parents.

wtfk! where on hell did you get this idea...so much morons in this world

Anyways, CL79, the first couple of months being away from your family is really the most tough times but always keep the line of communications open...u can chat with webcam or call them atleast twice a month, send them pictures of your new life here in US...and don't forget to make your self busy so you won't get bored.

cheer up you'll be fine

Edited by sweetpink

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.