irish44

Why men are happier (written by a man, of course.)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Men Are Just Happier People-- What do you expect from such simple creatures? Your last name stays put. The garage is all yours. Wedding plans take care of themselves. Chocolate is just another snack. You can be President. You can never be pregnant. You can wear a white T-shirt to a water park. You can wear NO shirt to a water park. Car mechanics tell you the truth. The world is your urinal. You never have to drive to another gas station restroom because this one is just too icky. You don't have to stop and think of which way to turn a nut on a bolt. Same work, more pay. Wrinkles add character. Wedding dress $5000. Tux rental-$100. People never stare at your chest when you're talking to them. New shoes don't cut, blister, or mangle your feet. One mood all the time.

Phone conversations are over in 30 seconds flat. You know stuff about tanks. A five-day vacation requires only one suitcase. You can open all your own jars. You get extra credit for the slightest act of thoughtfulness. If someone forgets to invite you, he or she can still be your friend.

Your underwear is $8.95 for a three-pack. Three pairs of shoes are more than enough. You almost never have strap problems in public. You are unable to see wrinkles in your clothes. Everything on your face stays its original color. The same hairstyle lasts for years, maybe decades. You only have to shave your face and neck.

You can play with toys all your life. One wallet and one pair of shoes -- one color for all seasons. You can wear shorts no matter how your legs look. You can 'do' your nails with a pocket knife. You have freedom of choice concerning growing a mustache.

You can do Christmas shopping for 25 relatives on December 24 in 25 minutes.

No wonder men are happier.

I don´t devide world between men and women and it depends on a person if they are happy or not...not on their gender :P I could add a lot of other stuff but for now I´ll just add that in other countries than USA women rent their wedding dress and guys buy their wedding clothes...so everything just depends on an individual so there :P

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

For people who don't marry in one of Russia's Palace of Marriage buildings (most of you) ...you've missed an incredible process. Imagine a traditional church wedding in the USA over and done with in 5 minutes. Zip zip and it's on to the next couple.

I think the young brides do rent their dresses and often borrow or rent a fur piece just to quickly throw on for a few quick photos. Even the flowers are only for a few photos and then the next bride holds them. The whole thing is staged and the amount of couples getting married each day is amazing.

Outside there are more photos and then they jump in limos and ride off to a restaurant or home for the wedding party and LOTS of vodka and what the Russians call "cognac"...a drink that comes from somewhere but certainly not France.

We chose a different style of marriage but the "assembly line" marriages are quite amazing.

Sounds like a drunk 5 min midnight Vegas wedding :P Did you write it like that cuz you like it or cuz you don´t? I´m a bit confused :P

Well if someone wants to have a trashed wedding I guess it´s their choice and as long as it makes them happy :D Cuz happiness is what this thread is about :D

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

the local wedding palace was on my walk to and from university and oh my god, did the girls there wear some of the most hideous, tackiest wedding dresses i've ever seen. i hope to god they were only rented!

For people who don't marry in one of Russia's Palace of Marriage buildings (most of you) ...you've missed an incredible process. Imagine a traditional church wedding in the USA over and done with in 5 minutes. Zip zip and it's on to the next couple.

I think the young brides do rent their dresses and often borrow or rent a fur piece just to quickly throw on for a few quick photos. Even the flowers are only for a few photos and then the next bride holds them. The whole thing is staged and the amount of couples getting married each day is amazing.

Outside there are more photos and then they jump in limos and ride off to a restaurant or home for the wedding party and LOTS of vodka and what the Russians call "cognac"...a drink that comes from somewhere but certainly not France.

We chose a different style of marriage but the "assembly line" marriages are quite amazing.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Irish

Just read your post to my wife and she got a great laugh. And she mostly agreed with you.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Sounds like a drunk 5 min midnight Vegas wedding :P Did you write it like that cuz you like it or cuz you don´t? I´m a bit confused :P

Well if someone wants to have a trashed wedding I guess it´s their choice and as long as it makes them happy :D Cuz happiness is what this thread is about :D

No opinion. Just describing what i saw. Wouldn't call it a trashed wedding. Just the way it's done. It's ultimately a civil marriage with some of the trappings of a church wedding. Of course, many Russians have a true Orthodox wedding which is quite an impressive ceremony.

Weddings have to be, by far, the most over-rated tradition in modern day life.

It baffles me how there are still girls who grow up imagining a wedding to Prince Charming, knowing what they're going to wear, what he's going to wear, who they're going to invite, what the colors will be, where they'll go after, etc., etc., etc.

A funny show to watch (if you get suckered into watching Lifetime or WE with the wife) is Bridezillas. It's amazing how serious these women take their weddings. Bunch of crazy.......

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

:thumbs: I 100% agree! I am amazed at how many thousands upon thousands some people will dish out. I have never understood why. I am so happy Alla & I agree it is a big waste of money. While we have no definite plan, I can guarantee it will be simple and frugal with only a few close family members and a few friends sharing the day.

It baffles me how there are still girls who grow up imagining a wedding to Prince Charming, knowing what they're going to wear, what he's going to wear, who they're going to invite, what the colors will be, where they'll go after, etc., etc., etc.

A funny show to watch (if you get suckered into watching Lifetime or WE with the wife) is Bridezillas. It's amazing how serious these women take their weddings. Bunch of crazy.......

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Timeline

I also agree. I would rather put that money towards the future. It seems really to be more about showing off than anything else.

:thumbs: I 100% agree! I am amazed at how many thousands upon thousands some people will dish out. I have never understood why. I am so happy Alla & I agree it is a big waste of money. While we have no definite plan, I can guarantee it will be simple and frugal with only a few close family members and a few friends sharing the day.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

I also agree about weddings. They've become more theater than scared ceremony. So much money and energy and waste. And people stand up and take sacred vows that they often later comfortably retract, not in a church, but in a court room or lawyers office.

I like traditions but weddings have morphed into a show for the parents and a cash cow for the wedding trade...not unlike the burial business...exploiting emotions and pressing people not to be "cheap" on such a special occasion.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I also agree about weddings. They've become more theater than scared ceremony. So much money and energy and waste. And people stand up and take sacred vows that they often later comfortably retract, not in a church, but in a court room or lawyers office.

I like traditions but weddings have morphed into a show for the parents and a cash cow for the wedding trade...not unlike the burial business...exploiting emotions and pressing people not to be "cheap" on such a special occasion.

We were married in a civil ceremony and then did formal vows in Russian church, with the crowns candles everything. My wife brought her wedding dress with her and with the cat, she was bogged down. Met both in Atlanta when they arrived, she was wasted. Dress is beautiful and when I work on the central unit in her closet, it gives me some very fond memories. Most money I spent was on the gift to the priest, choir, and cakes, maybe $350 tops. Got married in a bar the first time, that was after convincing my ex-wife that the cigar band on her finger was a wedding band and the maitre de at the restaurant she got drunk in was a licensed minister and so she was now married. Had to formalize it later in a bar

with a very uncomfortable preacher, considering the surroundings he delivered a sermon along with the eulogy, oops wedding. When we went the Russian route the priest gave me a 30+ page document that he was going to follow. The guy holding my crown had to sit with the crown in hands. Eastern Orthodox bride and groom wear the crowns during the ceremony. Needless to say lots of standing while the ritual is being performed, but good experience though, and the priest is a gem.

Timeline

I was raised Orthodox but I don't follow it anymore... but the Orthodox ceremony is so pretty I might have one anyway.

We were married in a civil ceremony and then did formal vows in Russian church, with the crowns candles everything. My wife brought her wedding dress with her and with the cat, she was bogged down. Met both in Atlanta when they arrived, she was wasted. Dress is beautiful and when I work on the central unit in her closet, it gives me some very fond memories. Most money I spent was on the gift to the priest, choir, and cakes, maybe $350 tops. Got married in a bar the first time, that was after convincing my ex-wife that the cigar band on her finger was a wedding band and the maitre de at the restaurant she got drunk in was a licensed minister and so she was now married. Had to formalize it later in a bar

with a very uncomfortable preacher, considering the surroundings he delivered a sermon along with the eulogy, oops wedding. When we went the Russian route the priest gave me a 30+ page document that he was going to follow. The guy holding my crown had to sit with the crown in hands. Eastern Orthodox bride and groom wear the crowns during the ceremony. Needless to say lots of standing while the ritual is being performed, but good experience though, and the priest is a gem.

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
I was raised Orthodox but I don't follow it anymore... but the Orthodox ceremony is so pretty I might have one anyway.

It would be something to remember, and with photos that much more special. My biggest gripe was I gave my family and few friends a disposable camera to take pics with, and my not camera shy nephews attempted to get in every shot much to the disgust of my wife. I think there may be two or three photos with us by ourselves. But all in all a wonderful event to experience either with shaking knees in front of the priest (hint: don't wear your cowboy boots during the ceremony did it both times not so bad with the maitre d but the preacher and priest ,woo I was swaying!) or in the audience watching the new fish get netted.

I also agree about weddings. They've become more theater than scared ceremony. So much money

Aint that the truth! :thumbs: I remember a time when a man had to hold a shotgun just to get someone to marry his daughter. Nowadays the groom pays just as much for the wedding as the bride. (He pays much more later, of course.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.