w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

Former US Senators Sam Nunn of Georgia and David Boren of Oklahoma endorse Obama

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Two former Democratic senators endorsed Barack Obama today, adding their foreign policy and national security gravitas to his candidacy.

Sam Nunn of Georgia and David Boren of Oklahoma, both from the Democratic Party's conservative wing, will serve as advisers on Obama's National Security Foreign Policy Team, his campaign announced.

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/politi...boren_back.html

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

(This is interesting)

Ordinarily, presidential endorsements from two former red-state senators, neither of whom are especially high-profile right now, wouldn't be especially newsworthy, but I think today's announcement that Sam Nunn and David Boren are backing Barack Obama is a little more interesting than most.

The Obama campaign sent out a press release, noting the endorsement, and adding that both Nunn and Boren have accepted Obama's invitation to serve as advisers to his National Security Foreign Policy Team. With Nunn having been a chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, and Boren's record as the longest-serving chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee in history, these guys carry some institutional heft.

There are a couple of different angles to this, but Josh Marshall emphasizes the fact that Nunn is from Georgia, and Boren is from Oklahoma.

This continues to be one of the most striking features of this campaign — the tendency of politicians who do or did make their careers on the votes of people from small towns and rural areas to come out for Obama.

It's been going on for three months.

I've always been highly skeptical of Hillary Clinton's argument that she's a stronger candidate in rural areas and red states. But the pols who know these areas best seem to be even more confident she's wrong than I do.

Quite right. I haven't seen a comprehensive analysis in a while, but it seems Obama has enjoyed an advantage among red-state Dems, despite the perception that he's likely to Clinton's left, ideologically.

But the angle that stood out for me is that both Nunn and Boren were major players in the drive to launch a Michael Bloomberg presidential campaign.

http://www.thecarpetbaggerreport.com/

Quite right. I haven't seen a comprehensive analysis in a while, but it seems Obama has enjoyed an advantage among red-state Dems, despite the perception that he's likely to Clinton's left, ideologically.

I noticed this too. We have conservatives here who say Obama is the most liberal senator we have. But at the same time, alot of his support comes from Independents and disillusioned Conservatives.

keTiiDCjGVo