Jayo_Mac

Travelling with I-751 status pending.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Anyhow, our I-751 was touched on 3/10/08 and it states that my wife can travel and work for one year, and that the biometric appointment time would be given in the future. My wife's card technically reads as expired on 3/27/08. We are going to travel to the Bahamas in May. Can we bring the letter as approval for travel when we re-enter the country. I mean, she is authorized to travel. What do we have to do to ensure hassle free travel? Thanks for your help.

9-20-05 -(Married)

12-9-05 -AOS Packet mailed (I-485, I-130, I-765, and I-131)

12-11-05 - AOS packet received

1-3-06 - Biometrics appt. for I-485 and I-765

1-3-06 - My wife's name mispelled on i-485 still (tried to change via phone and still pending... name is spelled correctly on the I-765)

3-23-06 AOS interview scheduled (hopefully we can get the spelling of her last name correct on the I-485 before the interview.... feb 7th is a scheduled appointment to correct the spelling of her name with a local INS officer... anyone have any suggestions here???)

3-23-06... Interview went smoothly, and off to our favorite Japanese restaurant to celebrate the "permanent residence" status which was rightfully granted

5-6-06 Beautiful Church wedding in the Philippines.

10-9-08 Temporary Status of Residents card removed... Janie is a Permanent Resident now

Present = Living out our life together (had a healthy newborn son), and thankful that the aforementioned adustments have been granted.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Anyhow, our I-751 was touched on 3/10/08 and it states that my wife can travel and work for one year, and that the biometric appointment time would be given in the future. My wife's card technically reads as expired on 3/27/08. We are going to travel to the Bahamas in May. Can we bring the letter as approval for travel when we re-enter the country. I mean, she is authorized to travel. What do we have to do to ensure hassle free travel? Thanks for your help.

You should have no problem except that you should be prepared for some extra questioning about your status at the airport. Happened to me at Newark last week. And to another friend (at JFK) who had the letter, the expired card AND an I-551 stamp in his passport. I expected it and was prepared for their stupid questions to which they have all the answers anyway. But the delay caused one of my bags to be lost which was annoying.

Timeline

PS: I traveled with the I-551 stamp in my passport. My expired card had been taken away at the field office when I went to get the stamp. And I went to get the stamp because I hadn't recd. the original NOA.

extra questioning? I was "ripped into little shreds" while my gc was stil valid and about to expire. Then I came back through Newark and all it took was showing the letter to be waved out....

Heh. Interesting. My passport has no stamps because it's a new passport. My old passport has the stamps. My card is due to expire on June 7th.

I had the biometrics done in March. I haven't heard about the interview yet though.

Timeline
Heh. Interesting. My passport has no stamps because it's a new passport. My old passport has the stamps. My card is due to expire on June 7th.

I had the biometrics done in March. I haven't heard about the interview yet though.

If your old passport has an I-551 stamp from your local office that is valid past June 7th then carry it with you if you travel internationally. Anything that will prove your current status with the USCIS when returning from abroad is always helpful.

Edited by rrp

Filed: Timeline

What about traveling abroad to work? There is a job opening hopefully coming up here where I work that would require me to relocate to Belgium if I get it. My husband and I just applied for his 10 year green card. We should either get the NOA or go to get the passport stamp before we go over there, and I'm hoping that he will have his biometrics before then too. I'll be in a civilian position working for a company supporting military operations over there. Will he still qualify for his 10 year card? Will this impact his ability to get citizenship?

Timeline
What about traveling abroad to work? There is a job opening hopefully coming up here where I work that would require me to relocate to Belgium if I get it. My husband and I just applied for his 10 year green card. We should either get the NOA or go to get the passport stamp before we go over there, and I'm hoping that he will have his biometrics before then too. I'll be in a civilian position working for a company supporting military operations over there. Will he still qualify for his 10 year card? Will this impact his ability to get citizenship?

Honeyblonde, from what I understand your husband will need to ensure that his biometrics are complete first and get an I-551 stamp. Next, I would make another Infopass appointment AFTER you have procured the latter to ask if he qualifies, while in this 'Removal of Conditions' status, to live abroad without the risk of losing his permanent residence in the USA. With a 10 year GC, I believe you must apply for a reentry permit/returning resident visa if you plan on living abroad for a year or two and no more. Can't say what the rules for him right now would be. Worst case scenario: you could always leave first and he could follow with the required docs later.

See link: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

Hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.