rebeccajo

Gardening

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
We live in Zone 6A. West Virginia. So I'm concerned about plants that will do well over a long winter.

I basically want to plant in a bed right against the house. My original plan included a Profusion flowering crabapple. But I'm pretty sure that will get way to big to plant even three feet out from the foundation.

First of all, I fully expect Charles to come in and mention the weeping pu55y.

Now that that's over, I can get onto a subject I love.

Rose of Sharon. Amazing tree, although I call it more of a shrub, but it is really a tree. We have 13 of them in our garden and they really are very hardy. We have pretty cold winters in Indiana and they have survived for a good few years so far. The flowers are gorgeous and they attract Hummingbirds too.

I recommend them, I really do.

Mags, if they'd survive an Indiana winter, they'd work here. Thanks!!

You're welcome. :D

Post some piccys of whatever you decide to plant!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I don't do ornamental trees, but if I can recommend one that produces edibles...

Columnar or Colonnade apple trees are quite nice and stay small. I used to have two at my old house and they got to about 10 feet (can be pruned smaller) and looked rather tropical, I thought, but never more than about two feet wide.

Oh, and the apples were delicious. :)

Thanks for the alternative idea. What about cross pollination? Does there have to be another one nearby?

Yes, they do need to cross-pollinate. However, if a neighbor has an apple (anything but Fuji) or a crabapple, that would suffice.

05-13-06 - Met at Neo Nightclub in Chicago through a mutual friend.

05-24-06 - First formal date, followed immediately by weekend spent together.

09-07-06 - First trip to the UK. Sick most of the time, loved it anyway. :)

11-21-06 - Alasdair comes in for Thanksgiving.

03-28-07 - Second trip to the UK, flew out to Northern Ireland to meet the parents.

06-12-07 - Alasdair's next visit, we go everywhere and do everything. :)

06-17-07 - We become formally engaged, though it'd been in discussion for months.

07-27-07 - I-129F packet sent to Nebraska Service Center.

07-30-07 - I-129F packet received at Nebraska Service Center and forwarded to California.

08-24-07 - Check finally cashed!

08-25-07 - NOA1 Received!

01-30-08 - NOA2 Finally Received!

03-18-08 - Packet 3 Received!

04-03-08 - Packet 4 Received!

04-28-08 - Interview at 8:30am

Fiance still an idiot, sent wrong doc, still waiting on arrival date.

3052.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
We live in Zone 6A. West Virginia. So I'm concerned about plants that will do well over a long winter.

I basically want to plant in a bed right against the house. My original plan included a Profusion flowering crabapple. But I'm pretty sure that will get way to big to plant even three feet out from the foundation.

Rose of Sharon. Amazing tree, although I call it more of a shrub, but it is really a tree. We have 13 of them in our garden and they really are very hardy. We have pretty cold winters in Indiana and they have survived for a good few years so far. The flowers are gorgeous and they attract Hummingbirds too.

They survive here in Buffalo, too, RJ! So I am sure they'd be great in WV too!

The only thing I notice about the Rose of Sharon that I don't like is that they seem to attract TONS of bees, which for me is not cool! But they are lovely. I would say keep them away from an entryway because of the bees. I speak from experience on this advice! :lol:

I planted a weeping mulberry tree right up close to my house 5 yrs. ago. Its a tree that has flourised, but not outgrown its space. The foliage is a lush green. I highly recommend it.

I also just planted a smoke shrub last year. Its still small as yet and I probably won't be in my house much longer so I don't know how it will work out long term, but it has lovely deep purple leave that turn red in the fall, so it adds great color to a garden!

Anyhow, good luck with the garden!

Filed: Timeline

Rose of Sharon is a zone 5-9 tree. You and I are in zone 6 (I *think* you're in zone 6, at least)

From the Arbor Day web site (where I get all of my info AND trees)

Rose-of-Sharon

Hibiscus syriacus

The Rose of Sharon is an deciduous, upright, occasionally spreading shrub or small tree with multiple trunks. The branches grow upright and wlll not droop except when in flower. The leaves emerge late in the spring.Leaves are medium to dark green in summer with no or poor yellow fall color. The bark is light brown and thin, and the wood itself is weak.The trumpet shaped flowers are 2-4" across in colors of white, pink, red, violet or purple. They stay open for one day and close at night. Single-flowered varieties are hardier than the double-flowered types. The roots are located just below the soil surface. This shrub is tolerant of many soil textures, moisture conditions, and acid to alkaline pH if it is in full or nearly full sun. However, it requires ample moisture and some protection from midday to afteroon sun to flower at it's best. The shrub will keep its upright form as it grows, so little pruning is required. While shaping or pruning can be done at any time, pruning in late winter or early spring will minimize the loss of the emerging flower buds on the new growth. Pruning heavily in early spring or pruning back to 2-3 buds will produce fewer but larger flowers. It can be pruned to to create a single trunk small specimen tree. Transplanting should be done in the spring as the shrub takes some time to get established. Plant about 2'-3' apart for a single row hedge.

Edited by PlatyPius
Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Timeline

I also love Berberis (barberry here in the USA). They are a gorgeous dark red colour, although I was disappointed to discover that they are classed as an invasive weed over here. :(

They are an excellent idea for under windows though. They have thorny branches and thusly serve as an excellent burglar deterrent. ;)

Filed: Other Timeline
I also love Berberis (barberry here in the USA). They are a gorgeous dark red colour, although I was disappointed to discover that they are classed as an invasive weed over here. :(

They are an excellent idea for under windows though. They have thorny branches and thusly serve as an excellent burglar deterrent. ;)

Barberries are classified as a weed?

I had them all around the other house. Both the golden and red, full and pygmy size.

Timeline

Barberries are classified as a weed?

I had them all around the other house. Both the golden and red, full and pygmy size.

Classed as an invasive "annoyance", yes. Maybe it's just Indiana. Personally, I love 'em. :D