tobias

Petition for Father that overstay

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
All I know is that the I-130 specifically asks for the dates of your I-94 if the person is in this country, we watched those days like a hawk. What they do with an overstay, I haven't the slightest idea. While my wife to be had a fresh ten year visa, my attorney warned me to watch those I-94 dates or else we would be in deep trouble, that we didn't want, whatever deep trouble means. Apparently, this is not enforced as the majority of illegals here are due to overstays, so why do they call them illegals?

So exactly what does happen with an overstay?

If you are the immidiate relative of a USC then any overstay is forgiven at AOS interview, it will not be used against the relative when approving or rejecting the AOS.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
All I know is that the I-130 specifically asks for the dates of your I-94 if the person is in this country, we watched those days like a hawk. What they do with an overstay, I haven't the slightest idea. While my wife to be had a fresh ten year visa, my attorney warned me to watch those I-94 dates or else we would be in deep trouble, that we didn't want, whatever deep trouble means. Apparently, this is not enforced as the majority of illegals here are due to overstays, so why do they call them illegals?

So exactly what does happen with an overstay?

If you are the immidiate relative of a USC then any overstay is forgiven at AOS interview, it will not be used against the relative when approving or rejecting the AOS.

We weren't married then, just spending a lot of time together getting use to each other, it was a good thing then they we obeyed the law. We did get use to each other, those parting times were painful.

• 6 months later...

Realizing this post is somewhat dated, I have a similar situation and it seems like a good idea to keep relevant info together.

My MIL is here on tourist visa and been extended once. She is 80 (if that matters). She would like to stay here, and we would like her to stay here. My wife's two year probation period will be up in november. Anyone know the chances on my MIL being extended again, until my wife is eligible to ask her to stay?

I saw this in an earlier post here: Immediate relatives of USC (child under 21, spouse and parents) may adjust status in the USA regardless of overstay. Where is that written? That would pretty much take care of our issues if correct.

Thanks guys and gals,

Mike/Lola

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.