tobias

Petition for Father that overstay

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I really need your help on this matters. I will become USC on December 2008. My father is on a B1/B2 tourist visa and his visa will expired on May 7 2008. How long can he overstay on his tourist visa so that I can petition for him to become permanent resident here. My father cannot go back to to his home country for some personal reason. Please help me. Thank you very much

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

You can file for an extension of the visa by filing form I-539

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

This should help you avoid dealing with the overstay.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hello everyone. I really need your help on this matters. I will become USC on December 2008. My father is on a B1/B2 tourist visa and his visa will expired on May 7 2008. How long can he overstay on his tourist visa so that I can petition for him to become permanent resident here. My father cannot go back to to his home country for some personal reason. Please help me. Thank you very much

He will have to return for the visa interview.

Is it worth the difficulty you will have with immigration to have the overstay? Can he return to a differnt part of his country or even maybe a third country?

You can file for an extension of the visa by filing form I-539

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

This should help you avoid dealing with the overstay.

but would it be for enough time to receive his visa and he has to return for an interview.

Father just got back to the US. His visa is not expired until Aug 08. But his I-94 expired on Match 22 2008. He left the us and come back on april 7. But the custom only give him one month I-94 which is expired on May 7. So i think if we file extension for his visa. There is a big chance that USCIS will deny his application. I heard that if he is immediate relative to USC, his overstay can be pardon by filing I-130 and I-485. I dont know whether this is correct or not. Please help me.

Filed: Country: Spain
Timeline
Father just got back to the US. His visa is not expired until Aug 08. But his I-94 expired on Match 22 2008. He left the us and come back on april 7. But the custom only give him one month I-94 which is expired on May 7. So i think if we file extension for his visa. There is a big chance that USCIS will deny his application. I heard that if he is immediate relative to USC, his overstay can be pardon by filing I-130 and I-485. I dont know whether this is correct or not. Please help me.

Im under the impression that he can adjust status without leaving since he entered legally....see an immigration attorney.

I finally got rid of the never ending money drain. I called the plumber, and got the problem fixed. I wish her the best.

Filed: Timeline

Im under the impression that he can adjust status without leaving since he entered legally....see an immigration attorney.

Why? He was inspected, but the duration of status was limited to 30 days.

Are you over 21?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

How can you tell when you will obtain citizenship.

Overstays are only forgiven when adjusting through marriage.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline
How can you tell when you will obtain citizenship.

That's a good question.

Overstays are only forgiven when adjusting through marriage.
Immediate relatives of USC (child under 21, spouse and parents) may adjust status in the USA regardless of overstay.

However, think about the question above.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I could have sworn you had to be legally present. Valid I-94, but I may be having a senior moment.

So they suspected his intent gave him a month as a visitor, that could be an interesting adjustment interiew.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Another option would be adjusting your father while you are a LPR. When the case is pending, your father's status is not technically "illegal". When you got your citizenship, update your status in your filed case with USCIS. Then proceed from there. This is just my idea, I don't know if this will work.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
Another option would be adjusting your father while you are a LPR. When the case is pending, your father's status is not technically "illegal". When you got your citizenship, update your status in your filed case with USCIS. Then proceed from there. This is just my idea, I don't know if this will work.

Why are you posting on a thread that is a year old? Tobias became a USC in December. He can petition to adjust his father's status subsequent to gaining his citizenship. If his father choose to stay in the US after the expiration of his tourist visa, his continual presence in the US would be unlawful and he would be an illegal immigrant. However, it is a status that can be cured once Tobias became a USC. Furthermore, if you have read the earlier posts an LPR cannot petition to adjust a parent's status. Your advice that it is an option for an LPR may be permitted to adjust for a parent is wrong as this is not permitted at all.

Edited by aaron2020

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

All I know is that the I-130 specifically asks for the dates of your I-94 if the person is in this country, we watched those days like a hawk. What they do with an overstay, I haven't the slightest idea. While my wife to be had a fresh ten year visa, my attorney warned me to watch those I-94 dates or else we would be in deep trouble, that we didn't want, whatever deep trouble means. Apparently, this is not enforced as the majority of illegals here are due to overstays, so why do they call them illegals?

So exactly what does happen with an overstay?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.