Rubyjade

Should I make infopass appt for i551 stamp?

5 posts in this topic

Hi All

I filed for Removal of conditions in June of 07 and am still waiting (along with everyone else whose petition is at NSC :whistle: ).

My green card is expired, but I have an extension letter which authorizes me to work and stay here until the end of August.

I am going to Australia (my country of citizenship) in 7 weeks and want to know if I should get the i551 stamp in my passport just to be on the safe side. I never received an i551 stamp even at my AOS interview because they were waiting on FBI checks before approving me. My card arrived about a month later so I was approved but never got that stamp.

Another thing - my passport is in my maiden name and my green card is in my married name. I always make sure I carry a certified copy of my marriage certificate as well because this is a pain in neck, though less of a pain in the neck to try to change my name with the australian registry of births, deaths and marriages..........

I want to avoid going to DHS if possible but what do you think? I have travelled to and from Canada a couple of times with no problems but Australia would be just a tad more inconvenient if I were to be held there.

What experiences does everyone else have with overseas travel with the same status? Thanks.

Suzie

~Suzie~

Removal of Conditions

NOA1 - June 18, 2007

BIO - July 20, 2007

'TOUCHED' - April 2, 2008, again on April 3, 2008........

Card Production Ordered May 15, 2008

CARD ARRIVES MAY 19, 2008 - WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

My green card is expired, but I have an extension letter which authorizes me to work and stay here until the end of August.

I am going to Australia (my country of citizenship) in 7 weeks and want to know if I should get the i551 stamp in my passport just to be on the safe side.

(...)

Another thing - my passport is in my maiden name and my green card is in my married name. I always make sure I carry a certified copy of my marriage certificate as well

You don't need a stamp for traveling to Australia, if you come back, before the extension letter expires. You might not even get it, because the USCIS office could deny it, because you wouldn't need it.

If you come home later than planned and the extension has expired, remember that only your written proof of residentchip has expired - you are and remain a resident until the USCIS adjucates your case. You would be admitted at the border, after they checked your status on their online system. I wouldn't get myself intentionally into that situation though.

To the two names: You do the right thing by carrying the certified copy of your marriage license with you.

Thanks for your post Peter T. I have had no problems whatsoever with going to and from Canada during this time either so I think you are probably right. At the border they just swipe my card and don't even bother looking at the extension letter. They told me it's not needed. So I think I may just do what I have been doing and make sure I have that copy of the marriage license.

Never thought about them not even stamping my passport because it isnt needed. I bet you are right!!!

Thanks again.

~Suzie~

Removal of Conditions

NOA1 - June 18, 2007

BIO - July 20, 2007

'TOUCHED' - April 2, 2008, again on April 3, 2008........

Card Production Ordered May 15, 2008

CARD ARRIVES MAY 19, 2008 - WOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
and make sure I have that copy of the marriage license.

My wife has traveled to Mexico, Panama, Colombia and India using her green card (married name) and passport (in her single name). Not once she was asked to show her marriage certificate and she didn't even carry it the last two times! I think it's because the green card is what establishes your lawful presence here not the marriage certificate and thats why they have never asked for the marriage certificate from her or from a few of her friends in the same situation. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks for your post Peter T. I have had no problems whatsoever with going to and from Canada during this time either so I think you are probably right. At the border they just swipe my card and don't even bother looking at the extension letter. They told me it's not needed. So I think I may just do what I have been doing and make sure I have that copy of the marriage license.

Never thought about them not even stamping my passport because it isnt needed. I bet you are right!!!

Thanks again.

Really? At the Niagara Falls border, the US side definitely wanted to see the extension letter and questioned its validity as an extension to the greencard. I think it depends on the officer.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.