IrinaNMike

Close call! Biometric apptt in 8 days!

10 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I was stunned today when Irina received a biometric appointment for a date that is only 8 days away. On the appointment slip was a warning that if she fails to show up, her applicaion will be considered 'abandoned'. Irina and I travel a lot, and we have just returned from a two-week vacation. I hate to think what might have happened to us if the appointment notice had arrived two weeks ago.

Since we're at home now, we will have no problem appearing for the appointment, but I am posting this for the benefit of others who are applying for Removal of Conditions and might not realize that they have to watch their mailboxes very carefully. I certainly wasn't expecting such short notice.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

I was stunned today when Irina received a biometric appointment for a date that is only 8 days away. On the appointment slip was a warning that if she fails to show up, her applicaion will be considered 'abandoned'. Irina and I travel a lot, and we have just returned from a two-week vacation. I hate to think what might have happened to us if the appointment notice had arrived two weeks ago.

Since we're at home now, we will have no problem appearing for the appointment, but I am posting this for the benefit of others who are applying for Removal of Conditions and might not realize that they have to watch their mailboxes very carefully. I certainly wasn't expecting such short notice.

I agree, it's yet another example of how mysterious the whole USCIS system seems to be.

I also got my NOA/Biometrics letter today, though my appointment's on the 17th of April - only 9 days away (although it is 14 days after the 'Notice Date' on the letter.) Just supposing I'd managed to drag my darling hubby away for two weeks, who knows what kind of state I'd have been in coming home and reading that line in the letter saying they would consider my case abandoned if I didn't show up! :cry:

I - like everyone else here - want to get through the immigration process as quickly as possible, but I do think the USCIS really should send out all appointment letters at least 25 days in advance. That would allow for some mailing time and three week vacationers (not too many in this country! :whistle:). Giving less than 10 days advance notice is crazy, specially since everyone then seems to have to wait for many, many months from then onwards for the actual adjudication. But I'm probably being unfair - they must have created some kind of 'fast track' for a select few of us and we'll whizz through the whole process in weeks!?!? Or not.

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Bingo! They did the same for us. But, ours was 2 days from the day we got the letter and we were at that very moment packing up the car to leave for a 6 month vacation in Canada.

Only after it was all over did we find out we could have called the local office and rescheduled the biometrics for a more convenient time for us. If there is a problem, you may want to call your local office. Our local office returns about 50% of our calls, which is spectacular customer service for the USCIS.

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Bingo! They did the same for us. But, ours was 2 days from the day we got the letter and we were at that very moment packing up the car to leave for a 6 month vacation in Canada.

Only after it was all over did we find out we could have called the local office and rescheduled the biometrics for a more convenient time for us. If there is a problem, you may want to call your local office. Our local office returns about 50% of our calls, which is spectacular customer service for the USCIS.

Wow - I don't even want to imagine the potential problems or consequences of a letter giving a few days notice arriving a day after one left home for six months ... ??? :wacko: (Unless a kind neighbour or friend was checking the mail every single day ...)

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Filed: IR-5 Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thats good to know. We will be filing our I-751 packet at the end of April and will be on a cruise during mid May, and I just hope that the letter won't come while we are away.

Kat

I-130 for both parents

March 28th 2013 - Priority date/ NOA 1
November 14th 2013 - Transferred to Nebraska Service Center

January 7th 2014 - Case changed online to approved for both

January 8th 2014 - case changed to shipped to NVC

January 9th 2014 - case changed to NOA 2 mailed

January 10th 2014 - Received the hardcopy of the NOA 2 stating that NVC would issue a case number in 30 days approx.

January 21st 2014 - Case Received at NVC

February 26th 2014 - Case numbers and IIN number received - Wrong embassy code assigned...now waiting for new case numbers.

March 3rd 2014 - Filled in DS-261 for both parents

March 5th 2014- AOS available, paid and submitted AOS packet.

March 6th 2014 - USPS shows packet was delivered at NVC

March 10th 2014 - AOS shows as paid in the CEAC portal/AOS logged into system as being received by NVC.

March 11th 2014 - New case number assigned for my Dad.

March 20th 2014 - Paid IV fee for my Mum.

March 25th 2014 - AOS accepted by NVC with no checklist.

March 26th 2014 - Filled in and submitted DS-260 for my Mum

March 31st 2014 - AOS found in my Mum's file for my Dad - accepted and placed into his file/IV fee available for my Dad and Paid.

April 1st - Mailed all civil documents to NVC for both parents.

April 3rd: IV fee shows as paid in portal/submitted DS-260 for my Dad.

April 22nd: checklist issued for civil documents - NVC error ...

April 23rd: sent another certified copy of my marriage certificate

April 24th: Case complete! :)

April 30th 2014 - Medical scheduled for parents at Knightsbridge in London

June 11th: Interview at London Embassy - Approved :)

Thats good to know. We will be filing our I-751 packet at the end of April and will be on a cruise during mid May, and I just hope that the letter won't come while we are away.

Kat

It looks as though you have two options, depending on your 90 window. Either postpone filing until a week or so before your cruise (you'll still have plenty of time to deal with any hiccups with the filing/RFEs, since your green card appears to be valid 'til sometime in August), or go ahead and file when you intended to and then arrange with that kind neighbour or friend to check your mail every day while you're away. (The USCIS uses official branded envelopes, so it's a 'no brainer' to spot.)

The letter I have only offers a mail option for postponing, so - if I were you - I would check with customer services (1-800-375-5283) before deciding how to proceed. You can confirm whether or not one can postpone an appointment by phone, and exactly how to go about doing so, if necessary. (Of course another VJ'er may well have already done so and will provide that info for you.)

Anyway - Have a great trip! :thumbs:

Sheila

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

I wonder what happens with the appointment notices that are lost in mail and never arrive to destination. Are those applicants, that have been waiting for months, automatically disqualified? Are they being notified? Given any right to clarify things?

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I wonder what happens with the appointment notices that are lost in mail and never arrive to destination. Are those applicants, that have been waiting for months, automatically disqualified? Are they being notified? Given any right to clarify things?

You can always appeal... but that's just a whole other mess.

Maybe I'm just going to call once per month until I hear something.

I-751 Process

=============

03/11/08 - Check Cashed by TSC, invalid SRC# on back along with a VLCXX reference.

03/31/08 - Had infopass appointment, got I-551 stamp and Trackable receipt number

04/09/08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter.

04/18/08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am.

04/18/08 - Transferred to Vermont from TSC

06/16/08 - Online Status reports transfer received by Vermont

11/03/08 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/13/09 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/20/09 - Approved!

01/26/09 - New Card Received!

N-400 Process

=============

12/29/08 - Application mailed to TSC

12/30/08 - Arrived at TSC - Forwarded to Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

12/31/08 - Arrived at Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

01/02/09 - Priority Date

01/05/09 - NOA1 Mailed

01/06/09 - Check Cashed

01/09/09 - NOA1 Received (Priority Date of 01/02/09, Some data missing from form)

01/10/09 - Case Touched!

01/27/09 - Duplicate NOA1 Received (Missing Data filled in, was mailed on 01/24/09)

02/28/09 - Interview Letter Received

04/06/09 - Naturalization interview

04/06/09 - Interview Passed!

04/22/09 - Oath Ceremony!

04/22/09 - US Citizen at Last!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

That one event shook us from our fantasy of "freedom" and into the reality of "prison". We have gotten one email from USCIS, nothing more. Phone calls are returned on a 50/50 basis. Cost are outrageous, by design. Decisions are arbitrary, at best. Your entire life hangs on a roll of the dice.

My wife and I constantly talk about all the things we COULD have done these last 3 years. Go back to Ukraine, spend more time in Canada, visit my relatives on the east coast. But no, we sit and wait for USCIS. I cant really work on expanding my business, because it would require travel or even relocation.

We have a strong marriage, but this is a time in our relationship we would very much like to put behind us. That being said, perhaps its like the military. You dream about the day you ETS, and you enjoy the freedom all the more. Ive alot of pent up energy that I plan to put to good use, so maybe its for the better.

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.