IrinaNMike

Renewing a passport in Russia -- how long?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks, Slim, it's good to be back. Here's the problem: Irina, reading the Russian-language text on her Embassy's website, and me, after posting a topic on this subject two years ago, arrived at the same conclusion: in order to renew her passport in the US, she must first register as a US resident. Other people on this Forun have done this with no problem. Irina, however, worries about her apartment, which she does not want to sell. Even though there is no law preventing her from keeping it, she knows of cases in Russia where people have lost title to their apartments for very cloudy reasons, and she feels safer staying 'under the radar' by not changing her registration.

Peeja and Corey-Mariya: Paying an expedite fee is a great idea! I would willingly pay a fee to expedite the process. We are checking on that today.

eekee, October Filer: You might be right! I didn't look at the possibility of buying separate tickets (Aeroflot to Russia and my hometown to the nearest US Aeroflot gateway city) because that will add about $500 - $900 to the total airfare.

On its website, Aeroflot has a lot to say about changes, and I'm not going to pretend that I understand it all. Here are some relevant passages:

Fare rules (return) for a flex/ecoomy ticket ($1810 from LAX)

CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE EUR 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

FLEX Economy

Changes Permitted

Fare rules (return) for a value/economy ticket ($1421 from LAX)

CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE EUR 150.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

VALUE Economy

Changes Not Permitted

Note that the "Fare rules" and the definitions of flex and economy do not match. Two different web pages, two differennt anwers.

If I go this route, I will definitely speak to someone in the Aeroflot office, or even better, get Irina to phone the ticket agent in Russia where she would be handing in her ticket.

Thanks for the help!

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I think that you'd be able to change a ticket you bought from Orbitz or whatever at the airline office. i had one from a private travel agent which said "NO CHANGES" on it and they had no problem with it. I think that the rules on these travel websites only apply to if you try to change it through them.

Thanks, Slim, it's good to be back. Here's the problem: Irina, reading the Russian-language text on her Embassy's website, and me, after posting a topic on this subject two years ago, arrived at the same conclusion: in order to renew her passport in the US, she must first register as a US resident. Other people on this Forun have done this with no problem. Irina, however, worries about her apartment, which she does not want to sell. Even though there is no law preventing her from keeping it, she knows of cases in Russia where people have lost title to their apartments for very cloudy reasons, and she feels safer staying 'under the radar' by not changing her registration.

Peeja and Corey-Mariya: Paying an expedite fee is a great idea! I would willingly pay a fee to expedite the process. We are checking on that today.

eekee, October Filer: You might be right! I didn't look at the possibility of buying separate tickets (Aeroflot to Russia and my hometown to the nearest US Aeroflot gateway city) because that will add about $500 - $900 to the total airfare.

On its website, Aeroflot has a lot to say about changes, and I'm not going to pretend that I understand it all. Here are some relevant passages:

Fare rules (return) for a flex/ecoomy ticket ($1810 from LAX)

CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE EUR 100.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

FLEX Economy

Changes Permitted

Fare rules (return) for a value/economy ticket ($1421 from LAX)

CHANGES

ANY TIME

CHARGE EUR 150.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.

VALUE Economy

Changes Not Permitted

Note that the "Fare rules" and the definitions of flex and economy do not match. Two different web pages, two differennt anwers.

If I go this route, I will definitely speak to someone in the Aeroflot office, or even better, get Irina to phone the ticket agent in Russia where she would be handing in her ticket.

Thanks for the help!

Первый блин комом.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My wife renewed her Russian passport here in the US with the Russian embassy in Washington DC. When she talked to them they asked if she was registered with them as a US resident. She told them no. They asked if she wanted to register and she told them NO!

My wife has her propiska with our apartment in Russia. I am also listed as co-owner of that apartment which seems to help with staying and registering my visa when I am there.

It did take a long time renewing with the Russian embassy here, however. About 6 months total time. She also had them add in her married name (in the US also known as...) at the same time.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Timeline
Here's the problem: Irina, reading the Russian-language text on her Embassy's website, and me, after posting a topic on this subject two years ago, arrived at the same conclusion: in order to renew her passport in the US, she must first register as a US resident.
That's doesn't make any sense, because suppose she needed to renew and didn't have a green card, she can no longer return to Russia? Non-sense, the Russian consulate will let her renew without registering with them.

Timeline
That's doesn't make any sense, because suppose she needed to renew and didn't have a green card, she can no longer return to Russia? Non-sense, the Russian consulate will let her renew without registering with them.

The website distinguishes between permanent residents in the US and registered in the US, permanent residents with green card not registered in the US, temporary residents without green card not registered in the US, etc., etc. Different rules for everybody. If you don't have a green card, they will renew your passport.

But see Neonred's post above. That's really interesting. They obligingly renewed his spouse's passport and never asked about a green card. irina wasn't planning to go back until the fall anyway, so we have six months to give this a try. Thanks for the information, Neonred.

05 07 05 .... Filed 129F with Nebraska Service Center

12 05 05 .... Successful interview -- visa granted

12 24 05 .... Married!

06 22 09 .... Irina takes the Oath and becomes a US Citizen

Timeline

are you guys talking about going back to Russian to renew an *internal* passport? or the foreign passport? I'm assuming they are still separate.

also, to the previous poster -- has an *internal* passport been renewed at the DC consulate? Or was it a foreign passport?

09-02-2005 Applications for AOS, EAD, and AP received by MSC

10-21-2005 AOS fingerprint notice for 12-08-2005

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

12-15-2005 EAD arrived in the mail

12-24-2005 Received interview letter; interview scheduled 03-01-2006

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

03-01-2006 AOS interview -- approved; received stamp in the passport

03-13-2006 Green card arrived in the mail

---

Filing for removal of conditions

Timeline
are you guys talking about going back to Russian to renew an *internal* passport? or the foreign passport? I'm assuming they are still separate.

also, to the previous poster -- has an *internal* passport been renewed at the DC consulate? Or was it a foreign passport?

The Embassy will not be able to renew your internal document--only the one for international travel.

Timeline
If you don't have a green card, they will renew your passport.
How will they be able to prove she has or does not have a green card. Just have her say she doesn't would be the simplest solution.

Timeline

My wife says she sent a copy of her green card to the embassy with her request for the renewal as they had asked for it.

Yes, it was for the international passport, and they will not be able to do any changes or renewal of the internal passport at the embassy.

My step-daughter just renewed her international passport in Russia two months ago and it took less than two weeks, with the help of some "special" friends. Always good to know somebody.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

Timeline
If you don't have a green card, they will renew your passport.
How will they be able to prove she has or does not have a green card. Just have her say she doesn't would be the simplest solution.

I believe the russian consulate requires proof of legal status in the US. if PR card the way to prove someone is here legally, she'll need to have a copy of it. I don't think the consulate will go ahead and renew without the card, unless she has some other documentation to support her status.

11-07-2005 AP approved

12-05-2005 Infopass appt at San Jose office for interim EAD -- Refused, because it is already approved by MSC on 11-07-2005

12-07-2005 Attempt at interim EAD at San Francisco office -- no go. Back to San Jose, where CSO (chief station officer) tells they will contact MSC via email to request permission to issue interim EAD

12-08-2005 Biometrics for AOS and EAD. Having no EAD appt letter was no problem (used EAD NOA)

01-28-2006 Received replacement SSN card in married name (5 wks since application)

---

Timeline
I believe the Russian consulate requires proof of legal status in the US. if PR card the way to prove someone is here legally, she'll need to have a copy of it. I don't think the consulate will go ahead and renew without the card, unless she has some other documentation to support her status.
Well I ask again, do you really think the consulate will not renew a passport for its own citizens, which is the only way he or she can return to Russia? What if she has yet to receive her green card? No renewal? I disagree. She can show her K1 from back in the day and claim she has no green card. I know they wont register without a green card. Thus someone stuck in say an AOS background check would be stuck indefinitely in the US? Makes no sense to me.

Timeline

ummmmm couldn't this get her in trouble in the long run? do you really want to lie?

I believe the Russian consulate requires proof of legal status in the US. if PR card the way to prove someone is here legally, she'll need to have a copy of it. I don't think the consulate will go ahead and renew without the card, unless she has some other documentation to support her status.
Well I ask again, do you really think the consulate will not renew a passport for its own citizens, which is the only way he or she can return to Russia? What if she has yet to receive her green card? No renewal? I disagree. She can show her K1 from back in the day and claim she has no green card. I know they wont register without a green card. Thus someone stuck in say an AOS background check would be stuck indefinitely in the US? Makes no sense to me.

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Why not just call the Russia embassy and ask? They seem to be very helpful when a Russian citizen calls and has these questions.

All this is making me think I ought to go check the expiration dates on my wife's passports. Both of them.

And then get added as a "co-owner" of her flat. It would be kind of cool to mouth off to the guys at the airport, "I'm back here to check on my property you low-level ID checker piece of dog waste." That way, when I'm getting out of jail, they can have an address for all my papers.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
Well I ask again, do you really think the consulate will not renew a passport for its own citizens, which is the only way he or she can return to Russia?

in such case they can just issue a re-entry permit; they do not have to renew:

В случае утраты паспорта либо истечения срока его действия для возвращения в Россию оформляется свидетельство на возвращение в Российскую Федерацию

i remember they were pretty strict about verifying legal status when i renewed

ah, found the requirement for legal status here (copy from the application):

К заявлению прилагаю:

• заявление о выдаче загранпаспорта на бланке установленной формы (два экземпляра);

• учетную карточку “Сведения на отъезжающего за границу”;

• 4 фотографии;

• копию загранпаспорта;

• копию

(документ, разъясняющий статус в США) **copy of document showing status in the US**

• money order на

долларов США;

Edited by kc456

11-07-2005 AP approved

---

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.