Teacher Mark

Vista Rocks!

93 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have Vista on this laptop which speed wise isn't so bad unless I have a lot of stuff running. Sending stuff back and forth on the network on the other hand is a pain. It's also a pain trying to find things in sensible places as I think someone else has mentioned. I can't STAND the asking permission for things, when it came out I heard that was eventually going to decrease as it gets used to your habits. I'm still waiting. :whistle: I miss XP, hell I'll even deal with 2000 which is still a very good OS but not every program, driver etc will have a 2k version.

So I'm dealing with Vista at the moment, not happy about it but what can I do? (other than breaking down and buying XP, no thank you.) I have an XP disk somewhere but I don't think it works anymore, and I'm sure some of you will figure out why :whistle: Arrrrrrrr!

I do like that it finds drivers for devices online a lot better (I've yet had to use a disk or look for one online myself.) But that could have just been my XP machine being a bit funny.

you can turn this feature off.... go to Windows Security Center in the control Panel... then click on other security settings and there should be an option there to turn off user account control...

my bad I gave the wrong instructions to turn it off..

you need to go to the control panel ----> user accounts -----> and then click on "turn user account on or off" ..it will bring you to a screen to ask you if you really want to turn it off.. make sure and uncheck the box before clicking ok.... it will then ask you to restart your computer which you can do then or later...

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Ok - I found out how to change the appearance of the screen - more or less:-). Apparently, you have to select 'Classic format' and then make your personalization choices. If you don't have Classic selected, then any personalization changes you make don't work. I did find the colour palettes as well, finally. There is still one major component of the screen background which it doesn't allow you to change and is always light blue but at least I can change the rest! Honestly, it shouldn't be this difficult to do something so basic.

I haven't had any problems with Office 2007 yet - but then I also purchased the Office 2007 for Dummies and have used it as a reference a few times. Again, a lot of the changes really don't appear to have been necessary; it seems more like 'change for change sake' rather than to improve efficiency.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I have Vista on this laptop which speed wise isn't so bad unless I have a lot of stuff running. Sending stuff back and forth on the network on the other hand is a pain. It's also a pain trying to find things in sensible places as I think someone else has mentioned. I can't STAND the asking permission for things, when it came out I heard that was eventually going to decrease as it gets used to your habits. I'm still waiting. :whistle: I miss XP, hell I'll even deal with 2000 which is still a very good OS but not every program, driver etc will have a 2k version.

So I'm dealing with Vista at the moment, not happy about it but what can I do? (other than breaking down and buying XP, no thank you.) I have an XP disk somewhere but I don't think it works anymore, and I'm sure some of you will figure out why :whistle: Arrrrrrrr!

I do like that it finds drivers for devices online a lot better (I've yet had to use a disk or look for one online myself.) But that could have just been my XP machine being a bit funny.

you can turn this feature off.... go to Windows Security Center in the control Panel... then click on other security settings and there should be an option there to turn off user account control...

you need to go to the control panel ----> user accounts -----> and then click on "turn user account on or off" ..it will bring you to a screen to ask you if you really want to turn it off.. make sure and uncheck the box before clicking ok.... it will then ask you to restart your computer which you can do then or later...

Ok I did this yesterday afternoon. I had an evening without a single 'Do you really want to open that thing you clicked?' I was very happy about that. :D

fast forward to this afternoon.

I go to start up my Yourself! Fitness program and our profiles are erased. I restarted the program and still, both of our profiles were gone, asking us to start new ones or use a guest pass. I go to check in My Documents to see if the application data was still there. It said I don't have access. #######! There's only one user account on this thing and it's an admin account. There were several other folders I couldn't get into. I remembered the one thing I changed since the last time I used that program. I went back and reverted the setting, rebooted, restarted the program and there's our profiles.

Looks like we're just going to have to deal with the whole "Do you really want to open that thing you just clicked?" :wacko:

Thanks for trying though, I just never bothered to google how to do it myself :blush:

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Timeline

Ok I did this yesterday afternoon. I had an evening without a single 'Do you really want to open that thing you clicked?' I was very happy about that. :D

fast forward to this afternoon.

I go to start up my Yourself! Fitness program and our profiles are erased. I restarted the program and still, both of our profiles were gone, asking us to start new ones or use a guest pass. I go to check in My Documents to see if the application data was still there. It said I don't have access. #######! There's only one user account on this thing and it's an admin account. There were several other folders I couldn't get into. I remembered the one thing I changed since the last time I used that program. I went back and reverted the setting, rebooted, restarted the program and there's our profiles.

Looks like we're just going to have to deal with the whole "Do you really want to open that thing you just clicked?" :wacko:

Thanks for trying though, I just never bothered to google how to do it myself :blush:

mmm, that is strange, I never had that problem.. :unsure:

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Vista is a great operating system if you have the right hardware.

It's like buying a fuel cell car then complaining about not being able to use petroleum to power the car.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline

darn, I just looked this up and there are ways to turn off those pop-ups and stuff without turning of the user account control thing but of course it isn't supported with Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, or Windows Vista Home Premium... :P

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
darn, I just looked this up and there are ways to turn off those pop-ups and stuff without turning of the user account control thing but of course it isn't supported with Windows Vista Starter, Windows Vista Home Basic, or Windows Vista Home Premium... :P

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista...3.mspx?mfr=true

BASTARDS! I've got Home Basic. blah.

Oh well, no sense in crying over what I can't change.

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Does anyone know how to make iTunes work with Vista? Cos damned if I can.

what kind of problem are you having?

I was able to download the software, but cannot download any songs.

I have the sme problem with MSN games - I can download but then can't get the game to load and work.

I am very frustrated.

Timeline
You receive an error message when you try to install or to use Apple iTunes software on a Windows Vista-based computer

SYMPTOMS

You receive an error message when you try to install or to use Apple iTunes software on a Windows Vista-based computer.

CAUSE

This problem occurs when you try to install or to use a version of the Apple iTunes software that is earlier than version 7.1.1.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this problem, install version 7.1.1 or a later version of Apple iTunes software. To obtain the latest version of Apple iTunes software, visit the following Apple Web site:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936648

am unable to open my ITunes folder. I have uninstalled my ITunes and QuickTime files and reinstalled them again from the Apple website. When I try to open ITunes the message I receive is:

"The application of DLL C:\\WINDOWS\system32\softpub.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

Any ideas about what I need to do to be able to open ITunes again?

Please try following points to intall ITunes and QuickTime again:

1. On the Start menu, click All Programs.

2. Click Accessories.

3. Right-click Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator from the shortcut menu.

4. When the User Account Control dialog appears, click Continue.

5. At the command prompt type the following:regsvr32 vbscript.dll

6. Press Enter on your keyboard.

7. A message should appear stating "DllRegisterServer in vbscript.dll succeeded."

8. Click OK and try installing iTunes or QuickTime again.

As the third party software, for more information, you also can consult the apple manufacturer.

Hope it helps.

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPo...0&SiteID=17

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline
If you have persistent download issues, you might need to configure your firewall, Internet security package or web acceleration software to allow iTunes traffic

iTunes for Windows: Connection Issues when using Internet Filters, Accelerators , or Firewalls

* Last Modified on: October 13, 2006

* Article: 93434

Software that affects the way your Windows-compatible computer sends and receives information on the Internet can cause errors when accessing the iTunes Store, or it can prevent access to the store entirely.

Symptom

You can't access the iTunes Store, or certain parts of it are unavailable. This includes:

* Downloading content (music, videos, or games)

* iPod software updates

* Using the CDDB

* Getting album artwork

Products affected

* iTunes for Windows

* Privacy filter software

* Ad filter software

* Internet accelerator software

* Internet firewall software and hardware

Solution

Many connection issues can be resolved by configuring internet filtering software to recognize the iTunes application and the iTunes Store addresses (listed below).

You can configure your Internet software to allow iTunes to access the Internet. If you're using Norton Personal Firewall or Norton Internet Security, you will need to enable iTunes 7 in your Firewall settings.

For information on configuring Norton Software, please visit Symantec's website.

You should also make sure that the following iTunes Store internet addresses are added as trusted domains to any filtering software that may be running:

* phobos.apple.com

* phobos.apple.com.edgesuite.net

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93434

If you have McAfee Personal Firewall Plus installed, this article will help you configure it.

Some iTunes for Windows users with the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus installed may display a -3221 error message when you try to access the iTunes Store using iTunes for Windows. If this happens, change the permission level for iTunes and iTunesHelper to allow full access.

This should allow iTunes and iTunesHelper to both send and receive data from the iTunes Store.

More information on changing permissions can be found in the McAfee Personal Firewall Plus User's Guide.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300831

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Timeline

did you do an upgrade to Vista or was it a clean install ??

To make sure that you don't have any trouble syncing your iPod or playing iTunes store purchased music when upgraded to Vista from Windows 2000 or XP, follow the steps below:

1. First step is to deauthorize all iTunes Store accounts. Click here to see how.

2. Its highly recommended to do a clean install of Windows Vista rather than upgrading it from other OS.

3. Download and Upgrade to iTunes 7.1 if you haven't yet done that.

4. After installing iTunes, open it and from the menu bar, click Store -> Authorize Computer.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content...n_Windows_Vista

Edited by MarilynP
mvSuprise-hug.gif