coyote

Political Organizing to Protest USCIS Delays

123 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline
As stated in a different thread I actually emailed the immigration report correspondent from the New York Times, Ms. Julia Preston.

I urge you all to do the same, maybe someone somewhere can shed some light through the media in regards to our plight.

You mailed your case on Monday.

What is your plight?

I have no plight at the moment in regards to the timeline. The timeline is right now NOT my main concern. I know that one day I will be under the same blanket of super-long waits at the CSC, though.

HOWEVER;

I am also concerned for other K-1 CSC filers like myself, and K-3 VSC filers. What I did was NOT complain about the difference in time it takes right now for an application to go through, but rather shed some light on the current situation and alert people who actually KNOWS these trends (because it's their job).

You're absolutely right. I thought the comment was way out of line. The system is very much broken, and we need intelligent people who are being proactive.

My comment certainly isn't 'out of line'. I just asked the same thing any PAC lobbyist or congressional aide would ask you at the VERY BEGINNING of any conversation they would have with you.

I appreciate that you have concern for others in they system. So do I or I wouldn't still be here after over three years trying to help people wade through it. But I've talked to many a congressional staffer and professional lobbyist. Until you have a personal story they can use to help make their case, frankly you aren't very valuable to them.

Insofar as thinking your own case is bad (in the future) if you ever tell your story to a staffer I can guarantee you they can tell you a worse one. When I mentioned my husband's 17 month namecheck to a senate liason, he was quick to tell me about the person he was trying to help who's been waiting four years.

There's always somebody who's got a worse time of it than you.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Thank you Rebecca. You're comments are fair, justified, and gracious. Maybe one day we can be friends? After all, your comments are right in line with all of my posts. I recommend rereading them. They have lots of words as do yours. I read yours. Try and read mine. If you have questions, please ask.

12-14-07 Sent K-1 petition

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

02-27-08 NVC processed petition

02-28-08 Received NOA2 in mail

03-03-08 Consulate in Rio de Janeiro received petition

03-21-08 Received packet for interview

04-22-08 Visa Interview and Visa APPROVED!

05-06-08 Visa received in mail

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-04-08 Applied for AOS (EAD and AP also)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

10-27-08 I-485 transferred to CSC

11-04-08 I-485 Biometrics appointment

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

12-09-08 EAD Biometrics appointment

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

Cost of 3 roundtrip tickets to Brazil in last 3 years...... $2,900+

Cost of filing petitions for K-1 visa & AOS.................... $1,465+

Cost of monthly calling cards to Brazil........................$20

Cost of marrying the woman of my dreams.... PRICELESS

.png

Thank you Rebecca. You're comments are fair, justified, and gracious. Maybe one day we can be friends? After all, your comments are right in line with all of my posts. I recommend rereading them. They have lots of words as do yours. I read yours. Try and read mine. If you have questions, please ask.

I think you should be careful (for lack of a better word) when you talk about the scrutiny T26 applicants go through.

And I often remind myself that our nations enemies change. Look to the history of immigration in this nation and you will find the groups who have been targeted in the past....especially China and India.

When you marry someone from another country, expect your life to be 'inconvenient'. I honestly never expected mine to be easy. I've been annoyed like the devil at the extent of some of it. But as I've said before - about 10 minutes after I realized I was in love with a man from another country, I realized I had a problem. And it wasn't just how we were going to afford phone calls or touch each others face. I never expected my government to give us a 'free pass'.

Is it worth it to me? You bet your bottom dollar.

Timeline
I think if other members read what you wrote (say members from the T26 nations) they could find quite a bit of affrontery with it. Which is where I am coming from.

Since when is England/Ireland on the watch dog list for terrorism or human rights violations? :bonk:

You're pipe dreaming when you say people who come into this country shouldn't be scrutinized. If you DO want John Q. Public to take your side, you surely should put that idea aside. When my husband was first caught in his lengthy namecheck, I had many a USC tell me that was fine by them that the government was performing thorough checks on immigrants.

So you're saying people who come to this country should be scrutinized?

You also seem to be more than circling yourself when you say people who are from T26 should realize they are being checked, as if they should just learn to deal with it. And further go on to say that your immigrant shouldn't be subjected to checks just because T26 citizens are. What kind of nonsense is that?

So people coming to this country should not be scrutinized (make up your mind)?

You can call my comment criticism if you like. The fact of the matter is that your fiance doesn't deserve a free pass just because she's from a certain part of the world. Personally, I think your comments are rude. Yes, let other readers decide for themselves.

Please reread the 4 different people in the last 4 pages whom you criticised. Now, I'm sure you know everythihng as your condescending posts would indicate, but c'mon. Is everyone else who disagrees with you wrong? Reread. We have all read your nonsense. Maybe you can read everyone elses...[/color]

You haven't been in this process long enough to criticize it. All you have is an opinion. Study up a bit longer and then come back to me with your bias. I think it's disgusting.

I think anyone who is as biased as you is disgusting. Try to make more logical arguements next time. Criticizing other posters isn't logical, which is exactly what you are doing.

Rebecca, please stop. Please stop. I actually reread your post because I thought I read hypocrisy, but I couldn't believe how much until I reread it. Please read above in bold OR just go ahead and criticize. You are great at it. I only wish you had logic behind it...

Edited by Jack and Barbara

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

07-28-08 Wedding Date (Reception was 26th, but forgot to reigster for MC...oops)

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

Jack -

I haven't posted anything 'condescending' in this thread. I have given links that show the answers to things people wonder about. I can't help it if they aren't answers you like.

Nobody would like to see this system changed more than I. But.....there are already many organizations out there working for that change. And they are working for it in ways you can't really imagine. I don't say that in a way meaning 'you're a moron'. I say it only to let you know that there is soooooooooooooooo much out there you can research on the web to help you further understand what is going on out there. Every time the boys on the Hill start to mess with the illegal immigrant question, they start crafting laws which can affect the family categories. There are groups paying thousands of dollars to prevent that from happening.

I didn't know these things early in my learning curve. I certainly don't know all there is to know now. But there are people out there fighting for justice already. It's just that the wheels of justice grind slowly.

Edited by rebeccajo

Timeline

Finally, a good post.

Now we can be friends?

Never hurts to have a few more organizations or individuals out there working for change which was the subject of this thread about 4 pages ago. If there are 100 groups working towards a better cause, I say why not 101? If we are all in it together (on the same side), then it doesn't matter if someone is just starting out and new to the bureacracy and potential for long waiting periods or is late in the game and already been screwed over by the same long waiting periods that a newbie is already fighting against.

12-17-07 Received NOA1

01-06-08 Got engaged!!!

02-21-08 NOA2 Approved

10-09-08 NOA1 for I-485

11-13-08 NOA1 for EAD

01-08-09 AP Approved

01-13-09 AP Received

.png

We never 'weren't' friends.

My recommendation is as LaL stated earlier. Find a group already fighting for your particular angle of the cause. This is a far more expensive process than you can imagine - a LOT more expensive than filing for one immigrant.

Personally, I've gotten way beyond worrying about how fast they will process 'everyday' type petitions such as most of the ones we see on VJ. I'm worried about the ridiculous bars for 3 and 10 years for petty infractions of immigration law; I'm worried about elimination of some of the family preference categories; I'm worried about processes that DO go on for too long (really too long like years) but the veil of secrecy shrouds the petition.

Edited by rebeccajo

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
I found out last week that I am not eligible for certain clearences (SCI) with the government until my fiancee becomes not a conditional resident, not a permanent resident, but a U.S. citizen. I always wondered if marrying someone from outside the U.S. would have negative consequences, and now my fears have been realized.

I would understand that if I was marrying someone from a country that sponsors terrorism, I would have no shot at these types of clearences. However, Brazil is not in the top 10 of that list and regardless, no non-U.S. citizen is allowed to be an immediate relative in order to be eligible for this clearence.

The worst part of it is that it is a rule by the government to not be eligible for these clearences based off of an immeadiate relative pursuing citizenship. It is also the same government that is delaying citizenship to be granted for 4-5 years. That's a long time to be ineligible for the same clearence that any married couple with U.S. citizenship is eligible for.

whoever told you that is full of #######. i've got a ts/sci with 4 tickets and nessa isn't a usc.

Edited by charlesandnessa

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Charles, great post, I agree with you, but what do I know or any of us, we are not worthy! Well you are full of it according to the resident expert RebeccaJo, so get ready to get blasted by her and her posse on here at VJ, what is new. Never fails. :thumbs::whistle:

I found out last week that I am not eligible for certain clearences (SCI) with the government until my fiancee becomes not a conditional resident, not a permanent resident, but a U.S. citizen. I always wondered if marrying someone from outside the U.S. would have negative consequences, and now my fears have been realized.

I would understand that if I was marrying someone from a country that sponsors terrorism, I would have no shot at these types of clearences. However, Brazil is not in the top 10 of that list and regardless, no non-U.S. citizen is allowed to be an immediate relative in order to be eligible for this clearence.

The worst part of it is that it is a rule by the government to not be eligible for these clearences based off of an immeadiate relative pursuing citizenship. It is also the same government that is delaying citizenship to be granted for 4-5 years. That's a long time to be ineligible for the same clearence that any married couple with U.S. citizenship is eligible for.

whoever told you that is full of #######. i've got a ts/sci with 4 tickets and nessa isn't a usc.

Timeline

One of these days you're going to step in that big pile of $hit you keep spewing.

Well once again you prove me right, just like clock work and right on time. Well according to you I step in it all the time already so what is new, thanks once again for proving me right. :thumbs::innocent:

Timeline

So what is your point? Why attack Jack? You knew that when you married your husband, like we all did when we married someone from another country, I feel for you, it is too bad and unfortunate all you have had to go through, but there are others like you also suffering as much if not more. Get over it and move on and stop being so jaded and bitter to all. Also what does this have to do with us forming a PAC or lobbying Congress to pass laws for a good program of change to help all of us VJers with the marriage process to a person not from the USA? I still do not get it after reading your rants and wild ravings, guess I am going to get blasted for this post, oh well, please stick to the topic, political organization formation to help us with laws of immigration while marrying a non US citizen. :dance:

PS - My husband is from Northern Ireland.

Ever heard of the IRA?

WHILE IMMIGRATION MAY NOT BE A "RIGHT". I am a natural born US Citizen and i will always reserve my right to PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS so when they lazily have delays and excessive processing, they ARE denying OUR rights.

Hi, Everyone:

This website is a useful tool for obtaining information but it seems to me that we're still operating as individuals rather than a group. With some targeted political activism, it seems to me we'd have a better chance of getting results.

I was spurred to try to stir up some action by an April 3 call to the USCIS - apparently the wait has now increased from six months to eight months for action on an I-129 application at the California Service Center. This despite the reported increases in personnel.

I'm also concerned about the apparent violation of statute when it comes to allowing fiances to work. An official with the Ameican Immigration Lawyers Association told me categorically that the K-1 visa allows the fiance to work the minute he or she sets foot on American soil. Yet the USCIS is requiring yet another fee and application, which delays the fiance's ability to work for another 3-4 months, while he or she waits for the agency to issue the permit. There are additional cost factors related to poor planning for this process, but you get the picture.

I'm sure those of you who are applying for other kinds of visas have similar issues.

The point is that, if my last phone call is any indication, things seem to be getting worse rather than better, despite the resignation of Emilio Gonzalez, the Bush appointee who has been responsible for many of the bad decisions that are affecting us.

I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest some kind of concerted political action. Can folks get me up to date on what's been done so far? Here are the ideas that spring to mind for me:

1. Letter writing campaign.

2. Demonstrations in several cities, with media outreach.

3. Website designed specifically to inform public about these issues.

Have these already gotten underway? If not, are people willing to volunteer a few hours to work on this? Does anyone have political organizing experience? Can we coordinate with immigrant rights groups?

Let me know!

Susan Zakin

The worst part about it is you see people who are having there I129-F's approved in 20-30 days in Vermont. It is so frustrating. If Vermont has that much time to already be on late February then they need to get California to give them some of theirs. I try so hard not to watch, but it's hard not to want to know what's going on all the time. I completely agree with you.

CR1

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-02-19

Touched : 2008-09-26

Touched : 2008-09-27(they work on saturdays?)

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-29

222 DAYS

CR2 (Our)daughter

I-130 NOA1 : 2008-06-27

I-130 NOA2 : 2008-09-26

89 DAYS

K3

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-04-08

I-129F NOA2: 2008-09-29

173 DAYS

~~~NVC~~~

10-01-2008 NVC Case Recieved/Numbers Assigned

10-02-2008 NVC IIN Numbers Acquired after 14 tries. (take the "call after 10p" tup) it WORKS

10-04-2008 Paid AOS $70 AND sent DS-3032 by email (.pdf) and by MAIL

10-08-2008 AOS SHOWED AS PAID - AOS Docs Sent out

10-08-2008 IV FEE GENERATED then PAID

10-08-2008 SDQ CONSULATE GRANTS EXPEDITE REQUEST AND REQUESTS CASE

10-27-2008 SDQ INFORMS MY WIFE, TO PICK UP "OPEN INTERVIEW" PAPERS

10-28-2008 INTERVIEW PAPERS AND MEDICAL INST. RECIEVED

10-29-2008 MEDICAL DONE

11-04-2008 MEDICAL RESULTS RECIEVED

11-05-2008 INTERVIEW (APPROVED)

#-#-#### VISA/PASSPORT(S) RECEIVED

#-#-#### POE

TOTAL DAYS FORM PETITION TO INTERVIEW-260 DAYS or 8 months, 17 days

:lol:

zqt, I'm actually looking forward to seeing you in a crowd carrying your protest placard.

In fact, I've already got your sign made up for you.

It's got a big downward arrow on it with the wording 'Socially Inept'.

So what is your point? Why attack Jack? You knew that when you married your husband, like we all did when we married someone from another country, I feel for you, it is too bad and unfortunate all you have had to go through, but there are others like you also suffering as much if not more. Get over it and move on and stop being so jaded and bitter to all. Also what does this have to do with us forming a PAC or lobbying Congress to pass laws for a good program of change to help all of us VJers with the marriage process to a person not from the USA? I still do not get it after reading your rants and wild ravings, guess I am going to get blasted for this post, oh well, please stick to the topic, political organization formation to help us with laws of immigration while marrying a non US citizen. :dance:

PS - My husband is from Northern Ireland.

Ever heard of the IRA?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.