Carolyn

"From Publishing Boss to Berber Bride"

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi all,

My husband reads the Moroccan newspapers every day. Last night he found an interesting story in Arabic about this British woman who went to Morocco to research for a book (a historical fiction novel about a young British woman who was kidnapped by Barbary pirates) who ended up falling in love with a Berber man in a small village in the mountains. Now they are married and live half time in each of their countries...ah, the power of love :luv: .

Here's the link to an article about them (in English):

http://www.you.co.uk/pages/you/article.htm...in_page_id=1908. (I hope I copied the address down correctly). If that doesn't work you can go to her website: http://www.judefisher.com and go to "News."

I think I'm going to pre-order her novel on Amazon--sounds like a great spring/summer read!

Cheers,

Carolyn

P.S. Apparently my father-in-law has family in that Berber village, Tafraout--it's in the mountains near Agadir and is a very traditional, small village.

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: Timeline
Hi all,

My husband reads the Moroccan newspapers every day. Last night he found an interesting story in Arabic about this British woman who went to Morocco to research for a book (a historical fiction novel about a young British woman who was kidnapped by Barbary pirates) who ended up falling in love with a Berber man in a small village in the mountains. Now they are married and live half time in each of their countries...ah, the power of love :luv: .

Here's the link to an article about them (in English):

http://www.you.co.uk/pages/you/article.htm...in_page_id=1908. (I hope I copied the address down correctly). If that doesn't work you can go to her website: http://www.judefisher.com and go to "News."

I think I'm going to pre-order her novel on Amazon--sounds like a great spring/summer read!

Cheers,

Carolyn

P.S. Apparently my father-in-law has family in that Berber village, Tafraout--it's in the mountains near Agadir and is a very traditional, small village.

I am kind of surprised. She is very very off in her facts. The barbary pirates were not even from Morocco . They were from Algiers and sailed under Moraid Dey, the ottoman ruler. The USA and ALGERIA had a war in the late 1700s over the Barbary raids. They were not Moroccan although some of the pirates were indeed from the North of Morocco but her connection to the small berber village makes absolutely NO HISTORICAL SENSE. The pirates were Algerian and from Algiers and the area in the north of Morocco and were under Turkish direction. The raids in Cornwall and in Baltimore , Ireland in fact took place in the mid 1600s. If you are going to order a book, order the STOLEN VILLIAGE, which is based on historical accounts of the raid of Baltimore Ireland and of Cornwall. At any given time there were over 50, 000 slaves in Algiers. Morocco was absolutely not a site of massive English or Irish slave trading, Algeria was. If you want a romance novel, buy her book. If you really want an account of what the barbary pirates really did you are better off buying the STOLEN VILLIAGE by Des Akin. Nice story but completely historically inaccurate. The sailing raids and ships that were built were built in Zemmouri Algeria. The barbary states headquarters was in what is now known as Algiers. There were plenty of Moroccan pirates but none of the barbaries were Moroccan nor was Barbarossa . All had an ottoman turk background... Sweet story though

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

Honestly, I didn't care too much about historical accuracy :blush: , I just liked her personal story...

At any rate, the author couldn't have been seriously doing research on pirates in the village of Tafraout--it's in the mountains in the south of Morocco far from any coast--I think going there was just an excuse to go rock-climbing.

I'm a high school Social Studies teacher and my summer reading list is almost all fiction (plus a few memoirs)--I need a break from reality! I looked up the Stolen Village book on Amazon--it looks way too serious for a house without air conditioning in the summer (especially while big pregnant :star: ).

Carolyn and Simo

Fell in love in Morocco: March 2004

Welcome to the USA: May 19, 2005 :)

Our Wedding Day: July 9, 2005

AOS interview: March, 2006--Success!

Applied for Removal of Conditions on Residence: March, 2008--Approved August 11, 2008

Baby Ilyas born: August 16, 2008!

rPXNm5.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

AM A FAN OF LOVE STORIES SPECIALLY FROM MOROCCO!!

Consulate : Morocco

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-16

129F NOA1 : 2007-03-23

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-07-30

Interview Date : 2007-09-06

Visa Received : 2007-09-17

US Entry : 2007-10-15

Marriage : 2007-10-20

Adjustment of Status

Date Filed : 2007-11-25

NOA Date : 2007-11-29

Bio. Appt. : 2007-12-21

Interview Date : 2008-03-12

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-04-02

Approved : Yes

Greencard Received: 2008-04-13

Employment Authorization Document

Date Filed : 2007-11-25

NOA Date : 2007-11-29

Approved Date : 2008-01-28

Date Card Received : 2008-02-01

Filed: Timeline
Honestly, I didn't care too much about historical accuracy :blush: , I just liked her personal story...

At any rate, the author couldn't have been seriously doing research on pirates in the village of Tafraout--it's in the mountains in the south of Morocco far from any coast--I think going there was just an excuse to go rock-climbing.

I'm a high school Social Studies teacher and my summer reading list is almost all fiction (plus a few memoirs)--I need a break from reality! I looked up the Stolen Village book on Amazon--it looks way too serious for a house without air conditioning in the summer (especially while big pregnant :star: ).

nedjma....kateb

yacine

last summer of reason tahar djaout

anything by asja djebar...happy reading

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

awww That is sweet..

I forgot where I saw this other story but I believe her book is called "Married to a Bedwin" ???

This lady went to Jordan as a tourist and fell in love.. same basic story, different country :)

"you fondle my trigger then you blame my gun"

Timeline: 13 month long journey from filing to visa in hand

If you were lucky and got an approval and reunion with your loved one rather quickly; Please refrain from telling people who waited 6+ months just to get out of a service center to "chill out" or to "stop whining" It's insensitive,and unecessary. Once you walk a mile in their shoes you will understand and be heard.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.