Krikit

Permanent Resident Card # For Travel

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'm filling out the online form at Virgin Atlantic (MAN to MCO) for Advance Passenger Information for US Immigration. It's asking for my greencard number. Is that the A# or one of the numbers at the bottom of the card?

Also, my greencard is in my married name but my flight is booked in my passport name, which is in my former name. Has anyone run into a problem with this? I've never had to fill out online advance passenger information before.

Thanks for any help or enlightenment you can give me.

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I would have thought the A number. The three lines of stuff at the bottom are the machine readable part of the card similar to the lines on your passport for going through the swipe reader.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

A#

Not sure about the passport/ticket, everyone on VJ says don't do it.

Thanks Dev. I've purchased the ticket in my passport name but Virgin wants my greencard information, which is in my married name, as well as my passport information, which is in my former name. Oh well. I went ahead and used the A# just now, and gave them my former-name passport number and all seems well. :unsure:

iagree.gif

A#

Thanks Dev. I've purchased the ticket in my passport name but Virgin wants my greencard information, which is in my married name, as well as my passport information, which is in my former name. Oh well. I went ahead and used the A# just now, and gave them my former-name passport number and all seems well. :unsure:

I'm not sure how relevant pre-check in is - altho we did it before our trip.

You need to bring your marriage certificate to the airport. Why is your GC in your maiden name?

A#

You need to bring your marriage certificate to the airport. Why is your GC in your maiden name?

Yes, I'll definitely be bringing my marriage certificate. GC is in my married name. I haven't changed my passport name to my married name because it doesn't expire for another 1.5 years and it's a major pain in the ####### to get it done in Canada when you live in the U.S. and there's more than 12 months shelf-life left on it.

iagree.gif

A#

Yes, I'll definitely be bringing my marriage certificate. GC is in my married name. I haven't changed my passport name to my married name because it doesn't expire for another 1.5 years and it's a major pain in the ####### to get it done in Canada when you live in the U.S. and there's more than 12 months shelf-life left on it.

oh. Good luck with it all.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Crikey, I have traveled multiple times with my passport and tickets in my maiden name, and my US ID in my married name, and a copy of my marriage certificate, and I have not had a problem anytime I have traveled. The airlines/security checkpoint have not cared because my passport matches my tickets, and the POE officials never have asked to see my tickets (and thereby seeing the name discrepancy), they've only checked to make sure my AP/GC/GC extension letter was valid.

With that being said, I have never filled out advance info online before, so am not sure you will run into problems or not.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Thanks Cassie. I've travelled a lot in North America with the AP and the GC in a different name without a problem (if you don't count the grumpy guys who gave me heck for it at YYZ :angry: ). It's the fact that they specifically requested both my GC # and my Passport # for advance processing that got me a bit freaked out about it. I'm sure I'll be fine, though. I'll just tell them that the travel agent said it was alright and they should wave me through. <_<

iagree.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Thanks Cassie. I've travelled a lot in North America with the AP and the GC in a different name without a problem (if you don't count the grumpy guys who gave me heck for it at YYZ :angry: ). It's the fact that they specifically requested both my GC # and my Passport # for advance processing that got me a bit freaked out about it. I'm sure I'll be fine, though. I'll just tell them that the travel agent said it was alright and they should wave me through. <_<

I figure that if USCIS is cool with it, the airlines should be cool with it. In theory.........!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Hi folks,

Just so you know - it is possible to fly with your ticket in your married name (matching your green card) with your passport still in your maiden name. It's vital to take your marriage certificate with both your old and new name on it though.

I know it's doable because I've done it ... On American Airlines ... Three times so far ... To and from the UK ... Including one round trip this January after the US' new rules came in. :yes: My old passport ran out a month or two before I moved here to get married, so I had to replace it then. That was over two years ago now and it's caused me no problems so far. I probably should get a new passport, but I'm cheap - a name change would cost just as much as a new one!

I always recommend people should call the relevant airline if they're in doubt about anything and to to check their policy on such things. When I was deciding how to book my first trip back to the UK I also called the immigration office at my airport before I booked. The guy I spoke to also confirmed you can do it either way round, as long as you have all the necessary documents with you.

But, of course, 'your mileage may vary'! :whistle::lol:

And call the airline about the details they want for this form you're filling in too. They should be able to help if anyone can.

Enjoy your trip!

Brit

Edited by Tex'n'Brit

All the best,

Sheila

(AKA Brit)

=======================================

Jun 01-2005: I-129F is at TSC

Sep 21-2005: K-1 Visa!

Oct 16-2005: Moved To DFW!

Oct 23-2005:
Wedding!

Mar 09-2006:
Green Card!

Mar 07-2008: I-751 (Lifting conditions) sent

Apr 17-2008: Biometrics Appt

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.