vuhtran

Pay off debt to get out of Russia?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hi VJers! I have a question for the people here. My Russian fiance said that she has to pay off her debts before they will allow her out of the country because it is a new law that went into affect this year. While this is somewhat true for debts that have gone to the courts for litigation, is this true for all debts or only certain type of debts? Does it depend on the amount of debt that is due?

Any insight would be appreciated!

this sounds slightly suspicious for me for some reason.

I have heard the same thing, from many different people. I think Kazan may know something about it. It seems like I remember him mentioning it one time. I have heard it referenced to outstanding credit card debt mostly, but dont know if other types of debt are included as well.

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, I heard about this a few months ago. The last discussion I had with someone over there resulted in this: Does all debt have to be paid off in full prior to departure? "No, only if there is a court order or it is in current litigation." So, if a Russian citizen has an outstanding balance on a loan or credit card and is in compliance with the payment schedule they can freely leave the country? "Yes".

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Yes, I heard about this a few months ago. The last discussion I had with someone over there resulted in this: Does all debt have to be paid off in full prior to departure? "No, only if there is a court order or it is in current litigation." So, if a Russian citizen has an outstanding balance on a loan or credit card and is in compliance with the payment schedule they can freely leave the country? "Yes".
I've got to say this law will still benefit the ladies trying to scam the Westerns! Here is how I'd do it:

Ask for money in order to pay off debts in order ot apply for a Russian passport to start the K1 process. Money arrives, no debt exists, then dump the sucker.

Filed: Timeline
I've got to say this law will still benefit the ladies trying to scam the Westerns! Here is how I'd do it:

Ask for money in order to pay off debts in order ot apply for a Russian passport to start the K1 process. Money arrives, no debt exists, then dump the sucker.

Meh. Anyone who falls for the this is also going to fall for "my mother is dying and needs $500 for an operation" and other stories. Won't change anything.

Timeline

I agree. Plus, by the time a couple got the stage of actually filing to start the process, I would think there would be plenty of trust. They've had a meeting or two and should be well past the, "Is she scamming me?" window.

Meh. Anyone who falls for the this is also going to fall for "my mother is dying and needs $500 for an operation" and other stories. Won't change anything.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Does all debt have to be paid off in full prior to departure? "No, only if there is a court order or it is in current litigation."

Correct, plus any unpaid traffic tickets or alimony. The new law is in effect starting February 1,2008. The bailiffs can blacklist such citizens for 6 months maximum, then they are supposed to clear them and inform the customs about this. If the blacklisted person pays the debt, he/she will remain on the list for up to a month. It's useless to try to pay at the exit customs.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline

Thanks for that addition Blues Fairy. Since my fiancée does not drive or pay alimony, I never asked about those issues! But good to know for any that might!

Does all debt have to be paid off in full prior to departure? "No, only if there is a court order or it is in current litigation."

Correct, plus any unpaid traffic tickets or alimony. The new law is in effect starting February 1,2008. The bailiffs can blacklist such citizens for 6 months maximum, then they are supposed to clear them and inform the customs about this. If the blacklisted person pays the debt, he/she will remain on the list for up to a month. It's useless to try to pay at the exit customs.

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Correct, plus any unpaid traffic tickets or alimony.
So someone who is up to date on their alimony payments can leave or does he or she have to pay the entire amount in advance? What about child support is that included in the law too?

Correct, plus any unpaid traffic tickets or alimony.
So someone who is up to date on their alimony payments can leave or does he or she have to pay the entire amount in advance? What about child support is that included in the law too?

They look at any outstanding payments. Child support is included. In fact the most revenue from such exit denials came from citizens who did not pay child support but were thus forced to.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Or you could just say "Pack your stuff and get ready to go, I'm coming to get you. I'll take care of your debt myself before we leave."

biden_pinhead.jpgspace.gifrolling-stones-american-flag-tongue.jpgspace.gifinside-geico.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks everyone for their response to my question. As a follow-up, what department checks up on this? Can you go to that department and request a check be performed on someone ahead of time to know if the system has them red flagged so they can take care of it in advance before trying to leave Russia?

Timeline

I would have to speculate the party would already know! The debt has to be in litigation or a court order issued. The debtor would have received a document from the court.

Thanks everyone for their response to my question. As a follow-up, what department checks up on this? Can you go to that department and request a check be performed on someone ahead of time to know if the system has them red flagged so they can take care of it in advance before trying to leave Russia?

Jeffery AND Alla.

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Федеральная служба судебных приставов (Federal agency of court bailiffs): (495) 620-65-97, then if found a hit check with the regional branch of the agency.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.