Sanjiv Patel

VFS and Consulate requesting originals even though NVC collected them

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
Hi MGK,

Did you receive interview letter from indian consulate? Is it asking to submit the 'un-submitted' orginals to be submitted to VFS and pay any fee? I have so far not received any communication from consulate; but the NVC letter sent to petioner in US says to bring all un-submitted documents for interview and does not talk about VFS or paying any fees? could any one clarify??

Thanks!!

Hi Dunhill,

Letter from NVC doesn't mention anything about VFS. It only stated to bring latest tax returns(2007) for interview and any "un-submitted" documents.

Beneficiary should be receiving interview letter along with instructions. Which would talk about VFS, paying the fees and retain the receipt safely.

Please note we have to submit to VFS, proof of marriage and photocopies of all originals submitted so far. So, we can get our originals back.

Proof of marriage could be photographs, wedding invitations, life insurance documents, medical insurance documents, affidavits, phone bills, emails, etc.

Hope this helps...

Cheers

I-130

07/27/2007 : Mailed I130 for spouse (VSC)

09/20/2007 : NOA1

11/07/2007 : NOA2

NVC

11/20/2007 : Case # Assigned

03/10/2008 : Case Completed!

03/20/2008 : Interview Scheduled & Interview letter mailed

03/25/2008 : Beneficiary received interview letter

03/25/2008 : Case forwarded to consulate. NVC message updated on 3/28/08.

Consulate

05/22/2008 : Interview

05/22/2008 : Visa granted and passport collected same day.

05/26/2008 : POE (Newark, NJ).

Our Timeline (more detailed events)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

Hi Sanjiv,

In your case, did the beneficiaries receive their interview letters? If so, they should have received instructions along with it.

Cheers

June007,

No offense, but please do not hijack thread for unrealted discussion - start a new thread. To shortly answer you, you will not have to pay the fee at consulate since you have paid $400 to NVC.

Dunhill,

Although your question was for mgk, I would like to say that in my case, the Appointment Letter was from NVC (sent to 3 parties: Petitioner, Agent of Choice, and Beneficiary) and so far there has been no direct communication from Consulate - and I believe there is no reason for them to duplicate NVC's communication. The consulate's web site shows the interview has been scheduled for our case number, so that's one peace of mind. the NVC letter shows what was submitted and what was missing, and it also says to bring all un-submitted documents, if any, for interview and does not talk about VFS or paying any fees. So, there is some confusion. However, VFS fees need to be paid, I think, for return of passport to beneficiary. My stand is, if you have submitted all evidence to NVC, VFS should only collect the money and not request original or even photocopies of the documents.

However, there is no communication between Consulate / NVC, who are working with new process, and VFS.

I can update you all after Apr 8th - latest date by which the beneficiary needs to pay VFS fees.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Timeline

Hi Sanjiv,

these links should help you for mumbai consulate immigration visas...

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/uploads/imag...ation_Sheet.pdf

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/interview_appt_schedule.html

http://mumbai.usconsulate.gov/ivinterview_preparation.html

Cheers

Edited by mgk

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Timeline

Thanks Sanjeev & MGK.

I had mailed the consulate for the same, they have asked to contact NVC to know the status. ..they also mentioned we can download instructions from chennai consulate website, if we do not receive the intervierw letter.

Please do update if you have any info. Thanks

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

mgk,

The links you provided are OUTDATED if you are following the new "Appointment Post" process by NVC, where NVC collected all the original civic documents. These documents in your link asks you to submit all documents to VFS, which if you have already submitted to NVC, and you don't have any more originals left (esp. PCC and Passport Clearance Certificate, which are only issued as one original). (I had checked thse links out several times in the past, mostly in the hope that consulate will update the web pages with new instructions, but so far Mumbai Consulate has not changed a word, probably because they are following both processes in parallel, while they are going through this transition from "Standard" Post to "Appointment" Post.)

Just today I have come across the new instruction (dated 2/21/08) for Mumbai Consulate, though I can vouch that these instructions were not posted to Dept. of State web site until 10 days back.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/BMB-SUP-ENGL-0001-0802.pdf

If you are from one of the other consulates, appropriate document for your consulated can be accessed from: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3742.html

This letter was NOT sent with the NVC generated Appointment Letter. This letter clearly states that all applicants should pay the VFS courier fee of Rs. 365 between 15 and 3 working days prior to Appointment Date. It does not ask to submit any copies or originals to the VFS. So, we should now be clear that nothing more documentary evidence need to be provided to VFS.

Notice that the dates VFS will take your fees is different than in the old process (10 to 7 business days before interview).

The NVC generated Appointment Letter (for both petitioner and beneficiary) has no mention of VFS (probably because NVC process is global and VFS is specific to India). MGK, beneficiary does not receive any other thing from Consulate, so they will NOT get any additional document that talk about VFS, unless it is the above document that they have started to send out to new applicants. Our interview is approaching soon (Apr 15), and the NVC generated Appointment Letter was dated 2/21/2008 (same day as our Appointment Letter). Probably there are a few applicants who are ahead in the new process., who did not get this letter in mail and are unfortunately suffering because of lack of knowledge about this changed process in VFS, as well as surprisingly in Consulate!! My nephew called Mumbai Consulate yesterday and it was the first time these phone support staff had heard of the new NVC appointment letters. They did not believe him last week when he had called consulate and VFS did not beleive him when he presented the NVC generated letter, and VFS did not take payment for courier fees. However, when he spoke to a supervisor of the phone support person, he was aware of two cases from earlier in the morning that had the same situation. Even then, he did not know about this on Apr 3rd, when this letter is supposedly from Feb 21st!!!!!!!!! Talk about lack of coordination. He was saying that they have now informed VFS offices about this changed process and new applicants that follow should hopfully get less hassle.

With the new State Dept. memo, the process is now clear: Pay courier fee of Rs. 365/applicant, do NOT submit any documents to VFS if you have sent originals to NVC, and go for interview.

Hope this helps everyone.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline
Seems like we do not need to submit even proof of relation stuffs [wedding cards, e-mails print outs etc] to VFS.

Dunhill,

You would need to provide all the proof of relationship now to NVC. If you haven't, you can provide it to VFS or take it in person on date of interview. The idea is to submit this to them for review, at least once. In our case, we submitted everything to NVC and now VFS, in continuation of their old procedure, was asking for it again. These kinks in the process will work itself out by May, when VFS starts seeing more applicants going through Appointment Post process.

Hope this clarifies it for you.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

Hi Sanjiv,

Yes, I saw the message for Mumbai consulate. But, it vanished from appointment post consulate specific information site.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3830.html

Maybe it might come back.

Anyways, its crazy and hopefully...things should pan out. Please lets know your siblings experience, which would be a big help in light of all this masala :-)

Thank you

mgk,

The links you provided are OUTDATED if you are following the new "Appointment Post" process by NVC, where NVC collected all the original civic documents. These documents in your link asks you to submit all documents to VFS, which if you have already submitted to NVC, and you don't have any more originals left (esp. PCC and Passport Clearance Certificate, which are only issued as one original). (I had checked thse links out several times in the past, mostly in the hope that consulate will update the web pages with new instructions, but so far Mumbai Consulate has not changed a word, probably because they are following both processes in parallel, while they are going through this transition from "Standard" Post to "Appointment" Post.)

Just today I have come across the new instruction (dated 2/21/08) for Mumbai Consulate, though I can vouch that these instructions were not posted to Dept. of State web site until 10 days back.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/supplements/BMB-SUP-ENGL-0001-0802.pdf

If you are from one of the other consulates, appropriate document for your consulated can be accessed from: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3742.html

This letter was NOT sent with the NVC generated Appointment Letter. This letter clearly states that all applicants should pay the VFS courier fee of Rs. 365 between 15 and 3 working days prior to Appointment Date. It does not ask to submit any copies or originals to the VFS. So, we should now be clear that nothing more documentary evidence need to be provided to VFS.

Notice that the dates VFS will take your fees is different than in the old process (10 to 7 business days before interview).

The NVC generated Appointment Letter (for both petitioner and beneficiary) has no mention of VFS (probably because NVC process is global and VFS is specific to India). MGK, beneficiary does not receive any other thing from Consulate, so they will NOT get any additional document that talk about VFS, unless it is the above document that they have started to send out to new applicants. Our interview is approaching soon (Apr 15), and the NVC generated Appointment Letter was dated 2/21/2008 (same day as our Appointment Letter). Probably there are a few applicants who are ahead in the new process., who did not get this letter in mail and are unfortunately suffering because of lack of knowledge about this changed process in VFS, as well as surprisingly in Consulate!! My nephew called Mumbai Consulate yesterday and it was the first time these phone support staff had heard of the new NVC appointment letters. They did not believe him last week when he had called consulate and VFS did not beleive him when he presented the NVC generated letter, and VFS did not take payment for courier fees. However, when he spoke to a supervisor of the phone support person, he was aware of two cases from earlier in the morning that had the same situation. Even then, he did not know about this on Apr 3rd, when this letter is supposedly from Feb 21st!!!!!!!!! Talk about lack of coordination. He was saying that they have now informed VFS offices about this changed process and new applicants that follow should hopfully get less hassle.

With the new State Dept. memo, the process is now clear: Pay courier fee of Rs. 365/applicant, do NOT submit any documents to VFS if you have sent originals to NVC, and go for interview.

Hope this helps everyone.

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Timeline

mgk,

I am not sure if the document that I described was on the link you provided. It can still be accessed from the second link in my article (copied below for reference):

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3742.html

It's confusing why they have different information linked from different pages. In some cases, it makes sense, such as when providing consulate specific medical check instructions with list of panel doctors. But, in other cases, it doesn't make sense. E.g., your link and above link should both have BMB available as a choice, but it doesn't.

Even after publication of this memo, they made my sister sit around for few hours before taking payment from her in VFS-Ahmedabad. VFS Bombay knew the new updated procedure but wouldn't call VFS Ahmedabad to instruct them to take the money from her. They expected her to call Mumbai VFS, but she wasn't allowed to bring phone in and at the same time not allowed to come outside to make the call! Go figure!

At this point, I am so fed up that I am going to write a very strong letter to Indian Ambassador and Cc: to VFS heads, consulate generals, and NVC directors. I just had enough. Hopefully, this will fix the broken process for the good of those who are going through this new process now. This VFS payment thing doesn't make any sense with the new process, as they can collect the fees for return of the passport on the date of interview. Why are they making people go from their towns to VFS offices, as if they are next door? And, then not take payments, because these ignorant people are not updated by Consulates and their VFS headquarters?

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

Hi Sanjiv,

Thank you for the information! Yes, I can't agree more with you!

Cheers

mgk,

I am not sure if the document that I described was on the link you provided. It can still be accessed from the second link in my article (copied below for reference):

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3742.html

It's confusing why they have different information linked from different pages. In some cases, it makes sense, such as when providing consulate specific medical check instructions with list of panel doctors. But, in other cases, it doesn't make sense. E.g., your link and above link should both have BMB available as a choice, but it doesn't.

Even after publication of this memo, they made my sister sit around for few hours before taking payment from her in VFS-Ahmedabad. VFS Bombay knew the new updated procedure but wouldn't call VFS Ahmedabad to instruct them to take the money from her. They expected her to call Mumbai VFS, but she wasn't allowed to bring phone in and at the same time not allowed to come outside to make the call! Go figure!

At this point, I am so fed up that I am going to write a very strong letter to Indian Ambassador and Cc: to VFS heads, consulate generals, and NVC directors. I just had enough. Hopefully, this will fix the broken process for the good of those who are going through this new process now. This VFS payment thing doesn't make any sense with the new process, as they can collect the fees for return of the passport on the date of interview. Why are they making people go from their towns to VFS offices, as if they are next door? And, then not take payments, because these ignorant people are not updated by Consulates and their VFS headquarters?

Regards,

Sanjiv Patel

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Timeline

bump

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Timeline

My family got visa without much hassle. My nephew was successful in getting visa under CSPA. This is second case I have witnessed in 2 weeks where CSPA worked!

Sanjiv Patel

Timeline

Congratulations!!!

I-130

NVC

Consulate

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.