Indo_mommy

Removing Conditions from overseas?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Ok, chances are we'll be moving to Guangzhou, China sometimes this year as hubby got a new job. I'll have to file for removing conditions before May of 2009 now will I be able to file for this from overseas? Will I have to return to the States for the biometric or can it be done at the US Embassy in China?

Thanks guys!

Our K1 Journey Click Here
K1 Interview in Jakarta Click Here
AOS Journey:
May 02, 2006 :AOS Sent to Chicago...Let the couting begin
May 03, 2006 :AOS received in Chicago
May 12, 2006 :Received NOA1 dated 05/09/2006
May 22, 2006 Biometrics Notice Rcvd dated 05/17/2006
May 30, 2006 :Biometrics done in ASC Birmingham
July 01, 2006 :Interview Letter received
Aug 30, 2006 :Interview in Atlanta & got RFE for I-693A! OUCH!!!
November, 2006 :I-693A Sent. The waiting goes on...
April 4, 2007: Infopass & it doesn't help at all!!!
April 18, 2007 :Contacting our Congressman.
May 18, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, Welcome Notice Sent! Finally!!!
April 22, 2007 : E-mail rcvd, GC has been ordered
April 24, 2007 : Welcome Notice Rvcd. Yeeehaaa!!!!
June 1, 2007: GC arrived! Yippy! USCIS Free for 2 years!
2008: Moved to China
2009: Conditional GC Expired and Husband has been having affairs since 2008 in China. Can't file for ROC since he got laid off. He came to Jakarta to live with me and my parents. He got a new job. Life resume to normal or so I thought.
March 2010: Officially separated after yet more affairs exposed just a day after my birthday!

February 2011: Officially divorced.
June 18, 2011: He married the girl he had the last affair with.

August 2014: I am engaged with my real soulmate. Not an American.

Ok, chances are we'll be moving to Guangzhou, China sometimes this year as hubby got a new job. I'll have to file for removing conditions before May of 2009 now will I be able to file for this from overseas? Will I have to return to the States for the biometric or can it be done at the US Embassy in China?

Thanks guys!

I do know PR status will expire after 2 years out of the country. And you will need a re-entry permit after one year. You may have to maintain some kind of residence in the states.

You should be able to send the application in from China, but you may need a US address to receive mail. I think you will likely have to have biometrics done in the US.

I've been looking into this a bit, since I have been interested in taking a job overseas. But I don't want to have to go through the visa/AOS process again.

keTiiDCjGVo

Timeline
I do know PR status will expire after 2 years out of the country. And you will need a re-entry permit after one year. You may have to maintain some kind of residence in the states.

You should be able to send the application in from China, but you may need a US address to receive mail. I think you will likely have to have biometrics done in the US.

I've been looking into this a bit, since I have been interested in taking a job overseas. But I don't want to have to go through the visa/AOS process again.

Hi, yes I do am aware of the fact that I need to be in the States for at least a minimum amount of time or else I'll lose my PR status. It's not a permanent thing in China, probably 2 years tops.

I don't think many people here on VJ had dealt with this situation before as I'm not really getting more info about it but thank you for your reply. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and call USCIS to obtain more details, I just thought I'd ask around if somebody here had been thru the same situation.

Good luck & I don't think that you will have to do the AOS all over again as long as you maintain you residency.

AOS Journey:
2009: Conditional GC Expired and Husband has been having affairs since 2008 in China. Can't file for ROC since he got laid off. He came to Jakarta to live with me and my parents. He got a new job. Life resume to normal or so I thought.
March 2010: Officially separated after yet more affairs exposed just a day after my birthday!

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

Hi Maureen, long time no talk. How's your little prince? :)

I think you'll want to read the instructions for the re-entry permit very carefully. If you're gonna be in China for more than a year, you'll need the permit:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131instr.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to help ya out with filing the I-751 overseas.

Take care! :)

I would suggest you do an INFOPASS. The USCIS (mis)information line is notorious for giving wrong info.

08/17/08: Mailed N400 to TSC

08/19/08: USPS attempted delivery

08/20/08: TSC received N400

08/21/08: TSC cashed check

09/02/08: Received NOA...........Priority date: 08/20/08

..............................................Notice date : 08/22/08

09/02/08: Received Biometrics Notification

09/18/08: Biometrics completed - Charlotte DO

10/24/08: Received Interview Letter

12/08/08: Interview @ 1:00pm. APPROVED!

01/05/09: Oath Ceremony 10:00AM. Now officially a USC!!!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

01/17/09: Applied for US Passport and passport card

01/28/09: Received US Passport

01/29/09: Received US passport card

01/29/09: Received naturalization certificate back from passport office

Timeline
Hi Maureen, long time no talk. How's your little prince? :)

I think you'll want to read the instructions for the re-entry permit very carefully. If you're gonna be in China for more than a year, you'll need the permit:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-131instr.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to help ya out with filing the I-751 overseas.

Take care! :)

Hey Elen!!!!!!!!!!!! *big big hug*

How have you been? I lost your email addy :blush: that's why I haven't email you. Alex is doing fine after a scary rushed to the ER last week and we found out he have bronchiolitis, he stayed in the hospital for 3 days but now he's way better & has been his old 'naughty' self again LOL.

Thanks for the link Elen, I'll definately check it out.

I gotta PM you to ask for your email addy.

How's Phoebe doing btw? Take care my friend! (L)

I would suggest you do an INFOPASS. The USCIS (mis)information line is notorious for giving wrong info.

Thank you, that too cross my mind *thinking about all our problems in getting my GC before*.

AOS Journey:

hello indo_mommy,

can you please tell me what you find on this? i have almost the same exact situation. but i'm just moving to the country that my wife came from for 1 to 2 years. i really appreciate it if you can provide some info on this.

thanks,

suleika

Filed: Timeline

Here is my experience. Keep in mind I went through that some years back.

I moved overseas 6 months before the due date to remove conditions. I assembled tha package and mailed it to a friend in the USA who mailed it to USCIS. Bank statements from foreign bank and resident/working visas for both me and my husband were included. For the address, I put our USA address and foreign as temporary... so USCIS knew I wasn't livingin the USA at the time. The conditions were removed without interview.

It took more than a year, so I had to get back to get a stamp.. and had to come back to get fingerprinted after the approval. After that I filed for re-entry permit, otherwise it would be valid only until the expiration of 2 year GC.

Nowdays, one would have to wait for fingerprint appointment after sending the petition (or come back). The same goes for re-entry permit.

Don't know what else you may be interested in...

Timeline
Here is my experience. Keep in mind I went through that some years back.

I moved overseas 6 months before the due date to remove conditions. I assembled tha package and mailed it to a friend in the USA who mailed it to USCIS. Bank statements from foreign bank and resident/working visas for both me and my husband were included. For the address, I put our USA address and foreign as temporary... so USCIS knew I wasn't livingin the USA at the time. The conditions were removed without interview.

It took more than a year, so I had to get back to get a stamp.. and had to come back to get fingerprinted after the approval. After that I filed for re-entry permit, otherwise it would be valid only until the expiration of 2 year GC.

Nowdays, one would have to wait for fingerprint appointment after sending the petition (or come back). The same goes for re-entry permit.

Don't know what else you may be interested in...

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.

I haven't had a chance to do the infopass as I will have to go to Atlanta for that.

Did you file for change of address too or just fill your overseas address in the form to remove conditions?

I guess I could use my parents in law's address too if that is necessary.

I'm still reading about the re-entry permit too.

AOS Journey:

Filed: Timeline
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me.

I haven't had a chance to do the infopass as I will have to go to Atlanta for that.

Did you file for change of address too or just fill your overseas address in the form to remove conditions?

I guess I could use my parents in law's address too if that is necessary.

I went to the local USCIS office to ask how to "remove conditions from overseas". An IO consulted 2 supervisors and they agreed that it should be done through the US embassy. We left happy, one worry less... while we were sitting in the car on the parking lot discusing where to go next (so many things to take care off before the move), the IO came out of the USCIS building looking around... he approached us and said: "Sorry, but we are not really sure how you should do that... It may not work through the emabssy". Had we driven away, we might found that out too late. This is a public THANKS to the guy who came out....but it also shows you what you may expect.

I did not file for the change of address. As a US permanent resident, one is suppose to have US address. I put US address on the form and wrote the overseas address on separate paper.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline
I went to the local USCIS office to ask how to "remove conditions from overseas". An IO consulted 2 supervisors and they agreed that it should be done through the US embassy. We left happy, one worry less... while we were sitting in the car on the parking lot discusing where to go next (so many things to take care off before the move), the IO came out of the USCIS building looking around... he approached us and said: "Sorry, but we are not really sure how you should do that... It may not work through the emabssy". Had we driven away, we might found that out too late. This is a public THANKS to the guy who came out....but it also shows you what you may expect.

I did not file for the change of address. As a US permanent resident, one is suppose to have US address. I put US address on the form and wrote the overseas address on separate paper.

Hi thanks for your answer and sorry for the late reply. That's some experience you had with the USCIS office there, oh my!

I will be using my inlaw's address so they could receive our mails from USCIS for us.

I hope I could be as luck as you are. Thanks again!

AOS Journey:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.