zeroland

Applied for replacement SS card

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

First, a little background. My fiancee Ruth (from Mexico) stayed in the States for about 10 months back in the 1990's. She was issued a Social Security card at that time ( I assume it must have been "not work-authorized"), but lost the card at some point. She entered the U.S. on February 27th on her K-1, and today, the 29th, we went to the SSA office to apply for a replacement SS card. The woman who waited on us took a little time, and then asked a co-worker a question or two. Eventually she told us "Since you entered the country less than 10 days ago, this will have to be handled by immigration. You should hear something within 3 weeks." Ruth asked her if it will be the same number, and the answer was yes. The woman also said that she was going to have Ruth fill out some other form "just in case." It basically just asked for biographical information like birth date, place of birth, parents names, whether or not she has ever gotten a SS card before, what the number was, and whether she was work-authorized (she's not, at this point.) Anyway, I had read here on VJ not to try to apply for a card before 2 weeks after entering the country. But I also had read that once you have a SSN, that it is "yours for life." So I thought that maybe it was O.K. to apply for a replacement card before the two weeks. But if you think about it, if we had waited 2 weeks after entering to apply for a card, and then it took 2-3 weeks to show up, that would be 4 to 5 weeks. This woman is telling us that we "should hear something within 3 weeks." So I guess it's more or less a wash. Just passing along the story, for what it's worth..

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

10-29-07 TOUCHED!! And Later in the day-APPROVED!!! (found out on line on the 30th)

11-06-07 received NOA2 in the mail

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

01-14-08 USC received packet 3 in the mail

01-21-08 Fiancee received packet 3 in the mail

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

02-27-08 Fiancee entered the country

03-20-08 Married! (First Day of Spring)

AOS, AP & EAD

03-29-08 Mailed in AOS, AP & EAD Application

04-04-08 NOAs for AOS, AP & EAD (arrived in mail APR 7)

4-11-08 letter for biometrics arrived in the mail

4-22-08 Biometrics

5-30-08 EAD and AP approved

06-06-2008 AP arrived in the mail

06-07-2008 EAD arrived in the mail

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

06-19-2008 Greencard in hand

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
First, a little background. My fiancee Ruth (from Mexico) stayed in the States for about 10 months back in the 1990's. She was issued a Social Security card at that time ( I assume it must have been "not work-authorized"), but lost the card at some point. She entered the U.S. on February 27th on her K-1, and today, the 29th, we went to the SSA office to apply for a replacement SS card. The woman who waited on us took a little time, and then asked a co-worker a question or two. Eventually she told us "Since you entered the country less than 10 days ago, this will have to be handled by immigration. You should hear something within 3 weeks." Ruth asked her if it will be the same number, and the answer was yes. The woman also said that she was going to have Ruth fill out some other form "just in case." It basically just asked for biographical information like birth date, place of birth, parents names, whether or not she has ever gotten a SS card before, what the number was, and whether she was work-authorized (she's not, at this point.) Anyway, I had read here on VJ not to try to apply for a card before 2 weeks after entering the country. But I also had read that once you have a SSN, that it is "yours for life." So I thought that maybe it was O.K. to apply for a replacement card before the two weeks. But if you think about it, if we had waited 2 weeks after entering to apply for a card, and then it took 2-3 weeks to show up, that would be 4 to 5 weeks. This woman is telling us that we "should hear something within 3 weeks." So I guess it's more or less a wash. Just passing along the story, for what it's worth..

A new card or replacement card they still need to verify your immigration status in order to issue the right "card". Since you arrived on a K-1, immigration won't do anuthing for you. Plan on a return visit in a couple weeks.

YMMV

Timeline

"Since you arrived on a K-1, immigration won't do anuthing for you. Plan on a return visit in a couple weeks."

I don't quite get your point. Would you mind expanding on this? Do you mean that we should have just waited the 2 weeks? Or that we will have to re-apply regardless? I took it to mean that they would need to hear from immigration before they could issue the replacement card. Is there more to it than that?

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

10-29-07 TOUCHED!! And Later in the day-APPROVED!!! (found out on line on the 30th)

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

AOS, AP & EAD

4-22-08 Biometrics

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
"Since you arrived on a K-1, immigration won't do anuthing for you. Plan on a return visit in a couple weeks."

I don't quite get your point. Would you mind expanding on this? Do you mean that we should have just waited the 2 weeks? Or that we will have to re-apply regardless? I took it to mean that they would need to hear from immigration before they could issue the replacement card. Is there more to it than that?

If you arrive on an immigrant visa then the immigration folk pass on your SSN request (assuming you filled out the correct part on the DS-230 Part II).... I assume you didn't (because DS-230 Part II is typically not required for a "K") so you need to initiate the process. It was nice that they took your replacement card application because that is what needs to happen. If you wait 3 weeks and you don't see something you will need to go back.

YMMV

They will check immigration status but your case is different but don't worry about it.

I was in SSA to get SS# for my 4 years old daughter and they told me to wait for four weeks if I don't received letter it means, she is not qualify.LOL. Anyway, my daughter has SS# now after 4weeks waiting.

Edited by SJ

Filed: Timeline
First, a little background. My fiancee Ruth (from Mexico) stayed in the States for about 10 months back in the 1990's. She was issued a Social Security card at that time ( I assume it must have been "not work-authorized"), but lost the card at some point. She entered the U.S. on February 27th on her K-1, and today, the 29th, we went to the SSA office to apply for a replacement SS card. The woman who waited on us took a little time, and then asked a co-worker a question or two. Eventually she told us "Since you entered the country less than 10 days ago, this will have to be handled by immigration.

BS they are supposed to check SAVE and hold it until the 10th day. Then check it again. If they can verify status the application is processed. If not they send a secondary electronic verification requestion. If that verifies, the application is processed, but in some cases immigration wants to see a copy of the immigration document. It is then sent under cover of Form G-845.

Found this in the guides. I'm guessing a replacement would be the same.

As a K-1 Visa Holder you are eligible to receive a SSN upon producing a valid I-94 (unexpired). Do

not wait until you only have a few weeks left until your I-94 expires to file for a SSN. Many SSA

offices will not allow you to file for a SSN if your I-94 is about to expire (generally 14 days prior

to the expiration on your I-94). On the other hand, you should also not file for a SSN too soon either.

You should wait 2 weeks after you arrived in the US before applying for a SSN. If you go too soon your

record of arrival will not be in the SAVE-ASVI system yet, and it will require manual verification from the

USCIS. As this will add weeks to the period it takes to process the SSN, it is advisable to attempt to wait the two weeks to be safe. If you have waited the 2 weeks and they tell you they can not verify you arrival record via the SAVE database, you may allow them to to process it (but remember the potential delay for manual verifications). You can ask if they will check the computer again for you in a few days or return personally to have them look again -- thus eliminating the manual verification. The manual verification will require the SSA office to file a G-845 with the USCIS.

To apply for a SSN you will need to go to your local SSA office and bring the documents below. These

documents are proof of your eligibility to file for a SSN:

1. The SS-5 form you downloaded and filled out (they have some at the office if you forget).

2. your Passport (with the K-1 Visa in it)

3. your valid I-94

4. another form of valid ID (as defined in the SS-5 instructions)

5. You should also bring the document RM 00203.500 that you printed out

Make sure to bring all the documents above because some offices have staff that are not aware

that a K-1 Visa Holder is eligible to file for a SSN. A friendly reminder is a nice thing to have -- if not

you could be turned away incorrectly.

Once you have successfully applied for your SSN, the SSN card will come in the mail in about 2 weeks. You can check on the status of the SSN application and/or often get the SSN in advance by returning in person (try calling) to the SSA office. If you need your SSN before it arrives in the mail you may ask them for an SSA-7028, Notice to Third Party of Social Security Number Assignments, to be sent to your employer or other interested third party once a SSN has been assigned. Your card, when you receive it, will be marked with the words "VALID FOR WORK ONLY WITH INS AUTHORIZATION" indicating to an employer that you must also have an unexpired EAD to be eligible to work

The woman also said that she was going to have Ruth fill out some other form "just in case." It basically just asked for biographical information like birth date, place of birth, parents names, whether or not she has ever gotten a SS card before, what the number was, and whether she was work-authorized (she's not, at this point.)

That was the woman filling out the SSN application.

Did she get a reference # 08XXXXXXXX

Edited by I Quit

The only thing the OP should have done differently is waited more than 2 days from arrival in the US to apply.

I'd return to the SSA after at least 10 days from arrival has passed. Then, as I Quit mentioned, they should be able to verify the immigration status via the SAVE system.

SA4userbar.jpg

The woman also said that she was going to have Ruth fill out some other form "just in case." It basically just asked for biographical information like birth date, place of birth, parents names, whether or not she has ever gotten a SS card before, what the number was, and whether she was work-authorized (she's not, at this point.)

That was the woman filling out the SSN application.

Did she get a reference # 08060XXXXX

Timeline

Well. we did get a form or piece of paper that the woman said was the receipt to show that we had applied for a card. I will check it when I get home to see if there is a reference number on it...And thanks for the responses. For some reason I thought that since we were filing for a replacement card, that we didn't need to wait the 2 weeks...

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

AOS, AP & EAD

4-22-08 Biometrics

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

Timeline

OK, I checked, and yes, we have a reciept number. So I guess we will sit tight and see what happens next. And if need be, we can use that number to check on the status of our application, right?

K-1

6-16-07 Mailed in I-129F

6-26--07 NOA1

7-03-07 touched?

12-10-07 NVC received

12-12-07 Left NVC

02-13-08 VISA ISSUED

AOS, AP & EAD

4-22-08 Biometrics

06-12-2008 AOS Approved

http://web.archive.org/web/20051002025945/.../lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

F. PROCEDURE—INTERPRETING THE “ELIGIBILITY STATEMENT” MESSAGE ON THE SAVE QUERY RESPONSE

7. SAVE Eligibility Statement Line Message Is “Institute Additional Verification”

b. Alien Has Been in U.S. Less Than 10 Calendar Days

If the applicant has been in the U.S. less than 10 calendar days and the Eligibility Statement message is “Institute Additional Verification,” always take these steps:

-- Follow RM 00202.237 to key the SS-5 information to MES (key “S” in the EVC field); and

-- Hold the case; and

-- Requery SAVE when the applicant has been in the U.S. at least 10 calendar days.

-- Take appropriate action based on the new SAVE query response Eligibility Statement line message.

http://web.archive.org/web/20051002025945/.../lnx/0100203735

RM 00203.735 Requesting Online (Primary) Verification By SAVE

F. PROCEDURE—INTERPRETING THE “ELIGIBILITY STATEMENT” MESSAGE ON THE SAVE QUERY RESPONSE

7. SAVE Eligibility Statement Line Message Is “Institute Additional Verification”

b. Alien Has Been in U.S. Less Than 10 Calendar Days

If the applicant has been in the U.S. less than 10 calendar days and the Eligibility Statement message is “Institute Additional Verification,” always take these steps:

-- Follow RM 00202.237 to key the SS-5 information to MES (key “S” in the EVC field); and

-- Hold the case; and

-- Requery SAVE when the applicant has been in the U.S. at least 10 calendar days.

-- Take appropriate action based on the new SAVE query response Eligibility Statement line message.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.