Kharkov_Natalie

Visa Arrived Today!!!

10 posts in this topic

Just want to do a little rejoicing that my husband received his Immigrant Visa today only after interviewing 3 days ago. The whole process took us a little over a month going through the Kyiv Embassy.

(My husband is Russian, but lives in Ukraine with me so we filed according to residency).

The whole process cost us around $800 and there is no need to do AOS. He is considered a PR when he crosses the border and the stamp in his passport is the same as a greencard which he should receive in the mail within 3 weeks. No waiting months to adjust and not be able to work, etc.

My recommendation for anyone who can swing it would be to move to your SO's country for 6 months and then get married and file the I-130 at the local embassy. That would be faster than going through the Service Centers in America and prepare you much more for understanding your spouse in the future! But I do realize that not everyone can pick up and move for 6 months!

Yeah! Hard part is over, right?

Edited by Kharkov_Natalie

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Just want to do a little rejoicing that my husband received his Immigrant Visa today only after interviewing 3 days ago. The whole process took us a little over a month going through the Kyiv Embassy.

(My husband is Russian, but lives in Ukraine with me so we filed according to residency).

The whole process cost us around $800 and there is no need to do AOS. He is considered a PR when he crosses the border and the stamp in his passport is the same as a greencard which he should receive in the mail within 3 weeks. No waiting months to adjust and not be able to work, etc.

My recommendation for anyone who can swing it would be to move to your SO's country for 6 months and then get married and file the I-130 at the local embassy. That would be faster than going through the Service Centers in America and prepare you much more for understanding your spouse in the future! But I do realize that not everyone can pick up and move for 6 months!

Yeah! Hard part is over, right?

Wow! This is what we are planning to do, so I am glad to find out it is so much easier. How long did you need to wait to file the petition after getting married?

Congratulations!

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

Congrats! :thumbs:

animated%20usa%20flag1.gifanimated%20thailand%20flag.gif

Thai Style USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Links:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=106...amp;ref=profile

https://www.facebook.com/groups/223365857736847/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/411770628885582/

http://www.thaiworldnetwork.com

Wow! This is what we are planning to do, so I am glad to find out it is so much easier. How long did you need to wait to file the petition after getting married?

Congratulations!

I don't think you have to wait at all. Before they changed the requirements for DCF to 6 months residency, people were flying over, getting married and filing all in the same trip. I remember one guy stayed in Ukraine for 1 month and got everything done and flew home with his bride. So, I think you can file right away after you are married (as long as you have lived in the country at least 6 months already).

And the process to get married here is easy and pretty fast. I was told that ZAGS (wedding registation place) had a 3 month wait, but we were able to register and pick out the next available date which was 2 weeks later. So, if you come, you may just want to check that out and you can apply at ZAGS earlier to make sure you don't have to wait on that.

If your fiancee is in Russia, you may have a harder time doing this... I know that they have changed some of the visa laws where you can only be in the country 3 months and then you have to leave for 3 months. But I am not sure if that is for all types of visas or just tourist visas.

Something that you may want to consider is living in Ukraine and having your fiancee come live in Ukraine with you. She will file according to where she is living and Ukraine may be much easier for you to get longer term visas, etc. From what I have read, the Kyiv Embassy seems much easier to go through as well.

Anyway, good luck to you!

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Congratulations Natalie on your husband getting his visa!!! :) Are you planning on coming to America soon? Let us know if you stop by Houston I am sure my husband would love meeting you both but especially your husband :P It is hard to find a russian male to speak russian with here!!

Congratulations!!! Now comes the fun part. (Of course, you guys have been living the fun part all along!)

Good luck on your new Visa Journey!

Congratulations!!! Now comes the fun part. (Of course, you guys have been living the fun part all along!)

Good luck on your new Visa Journey!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Congratulations! :thumbs:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Congratulations!

I don't think you have to wait at all. Before they changed the requirements for DCF to 6 months residency, people were flying over, getting married and filing all in the same trip. I remember one guy stayed in Ukraine for 1 month and got everything done and flew home with his bride. So, I think you can file right away after you are married (as long as you have lived in the country at least 6 months already).

And the process to get married here is easy and pretty fast. I was told that ZAGS (wedding registation place) had a 3 month wait, but we were able to register and pick out the next available date which was 2 weeks later. So, if you come, you may just want to check that out and you can apply at ZAGS earlier to make sure you don't have to wait on that.

If your fiancee is in Russia, you may have a harder time doing this... I know that they have changed some of the visa laws where you can only be in the country 3 months and then you have to leave for 3 months. But I am not sure if that is for all types of visas or just tourist visas.

Something that you may want to consider is living in Ukraine and having your fiancee come live in Ukraine with you. She will file according to where she is living and Ukraine may be much easier for you to get longer term visas, etc. From what I have read, the Kyiv Embassy seems much easier to go through as well.

Anyway, good luck to you!

I'm job-hunting in Russia right now for work that would give me real 1-year working visas, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to come to my guy in Russia and stay there for longer than six months. :thumbs:

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.