j&js

Irish in the US

237 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
Sorry to hear about that denial! I was worried for a time during my K1 that I might get denied luckily I didn't I can only imagine how much extra stress that would add.

I thought I'd check back in on this thread again. Well after our (at that point in time) u-turn on moving back to Ireland. Now it's just me (we got divorced a few months ago) I'm thinking maybe it's time I went back? Well I'm thinking now that I'm single again what reason is there for me to remain here? I've thought about this on and off for about 9 months and this past week it's really sinking in that, well why am I still here! I've a decent job here, bought a nice wee car and live in a nice area which is all nice but I've no friends/family over this way at all and not really much if anything in common with the locals whom are nice of course.

I'm taking a trip back home next month to visit but also test out the waters over there to see what's there in reality on the ground try and help me make up my mind if I really do want to move back or not. I've checked jobs with my experience and certifications from the US at this point in time plus work history back home (which has been all but ignored in the US lol) work shouldn't be impossible to find I'd just need to buy a car and start from scratch again.

Well if I do go back I'm thinking around late October, part of the reason is I've pets I'd like to bring and it'll give me plenty of time to get rid of stuff, pay things off and of course sell the car. This is of course still all "if's" but I'm finding more reasons now to go than I've ever had to remain here.

Aidan.

Couple of things:

- the grass is always greener. Don't don the rose tinted specs to often when looking at Ireland. Yes your family may be here, but there are so many pitfalls and negatives grouped with having that to hold onto. If you can't live without them I completely understand, however if it's just to be near them so you've company, be careful.

- Ireland is no place to be moving into and starting from scratch. Not sure how long you've been away, but the country is in ruins. NO JOBS. You won't find one, at least one that pays. Coffee shops / call centres / Tesco - home of the 1st class honours etc these days. Yes it's as bad as you hear, there are no jobs. Once you get a job you'll struggle to find somewhere to live which isn't so expensive it's draining all your income, and the cost of living....my goodness it's to be seen to be believed.

For you, coming from the states, the last point will be multiplied immensely, as you're used to cheap living.

My advice, stick it out. Start again there, in a new place. America is so very huge that you can move and start afresh. You miss home. move to WA state and enjoy the rain, that'll do right? But wait till you see yourself dealing with an Irish winter again, you'll regret it. Dark at 4pm, light at 9.00 (Just)

I am trying so very hard to leave this country. It was built on a false economy and the Irish people don't suit money (or debt) it's a horrible place to live.

Sent I-130 - 04/01/09

Approved - 07/03/09

Sent DS-230 - 28/10/09

Checklist request - 19/11/09

NVC reviewing checklist - 14/12/09

Case complete - 22/12/09

Interview scheduled - 28/12/09

Medical - 14/01/2010

Interview - 16/02/2010 - Approved

POE - June 2010

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Aidan.

Couple of things:

- the grass is always greener. Don't don the rose tinted specs to often when looking at Ireland. Yes your family may be here, but there are so many pitfalls and negatives grouped with having that to hold onto. If you can't live without them I completely understand, however if it's just to be near them so you've company, be careful.

- Ireland is no place to be moving into and starting from scratch. Not sure how long you've been away, but the country is in ruins. NO JOBS. You won't find one, at least one that pays. Coffee shops / call centres / Tesco - home of the 1st class honours etc these days. Yes it's as bad as you hear, there are no jobs. Once you get a job you'll struggle to find somewhere to live which isn't so expensive it's draining all your income, and the cost of living....my goodness it's to be seen to be believed.

For you, coming from the states, the last point will be multiplied immensely, as you're used to cheap living.

My advice, stick it out. Start again there, in a new place. America is so very huge that you can move and start afresh. You miss home. move to WA state and enjoy the rain, that'll do right? But wait till you see yourself dealing with an Irish winter again, you'll regret it. Dark at 4pm, light at 9.00 (Just)

I am trying so very hard to leave this country. It was built on a false economy and the Irish people don't suit money (or debt) it's a horrible place to live.

I will think about it alrite. So far my initial searches for work are showing up dozens of jobs I could in locations that are accessible? I know the construction/housing market is in ruins but seems IT is still very much alive and well over there! I know the grass isn't always greener but I'd rather have grass than sand lol Anyway part of the reason for the trip is so I can test it out and make up my mind. I could get there and think ####### am I thinking then come back here and move to another state.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

Sure you may as well add us

Steven - Dublin - Emily - San Diego, CA

Move here last summer after getting our greencards. Still adjusting and getting mad a the complications of doing tax returns here and in ireland and seems like Irelands wants me to pay tax on my US income and US on my Irish income before the move and apartment rental income. its infuriating.

Anyway, hey!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
Sure you may as well add us

Steven - Dublin - Emily - San Diego, CA

Move here last summer after getting our greencards. Still adjusting and getting mad a the complications of doing tax returns here and in ireland and seems like Irelands wants me to pay tax on my US income and US on my Irish income before the move and apartment rental income. its infuriating.

Anyway, hey!!

Welcome!

I don't own property or have any generated income from back home only what I make here in the US. I did read before about there being a law that means if you live and work in the US you are only taxed by the US on that income not both countries? I'm not sure how that works if you are still generating an income back home? Logically you'd think you'd pay the tax man over there or maybe not if your spending it here? lol :blink: I'd do some googling around or maybe ask on the board here?

Good luck!

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Other Country: Ireland
Timeline

thanks aidan.

Yeah i believe there is a tax treaty that stops double taxation or something like that. but there is so much contradictory information that i cant seem to get around to getting it to apply to my case - which i would there are thousands in the world have the same situation.

Also the income i get in ireland from the rent doesnt leave the country either (goes into my account there) so there is another mix thrown into the consideration.

Buy anyway ill get it sorted.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Guys.

18 days till my interview in Dublin......

Advice, words of wisdom, anything to help would be much appreciated...

Sent I-130 - 04/01/09

Approved - 07/03/09

Sent DS-230 - 28/10/09

Case complete - 22/12/09

Medical - 14/01/2010

POE - June 2010

Hi

Sinead........Galway........Matthew......MN here.

TKP Congrats with the interview, no advice Im afraid.

Anyone know how long it takes for them to reply with interview date after the Notice of Readiness goes in?

07-22-2005 Married my American Man in Galway Ireland.

04-02-2008 Gorgeous baby boy born.

12-16-2009 He got offered fab new job in MN USA , we're moving!

01-04-2010 Sent I-130 to Dublin US Embassy.

01-05-2010 Mailed requests for Irish Police Cert and UK Police Cert.

01-07-2010 Applied for and got approved for baby boys new US Passport.

01-11-2010 Received Irish Police Cert.

01-14-2010 Bankers draft for I-130 cashed

01-16-2010 Husband left for USA to start new job :(

01-21-2010 Received Packet 3

01-22-2010 Sent DS 230 back to Dublin. Waiting to send Notice of Readiness, delays with tax returns.

01-23-2010 Started to prepare for Harleys (cat) pet passport. Rabies shot and Microchip today. Found out he doesnt need a pet passport.

01-25-2010 Sent off Notice of Readiness , booked Medical ,hope my UK Police cert arrives in time!

01-29-2010 UK Police Cert arrives. Receive letter from my childhood doctor stating that all my vaccinations are up to date for medical

02-01-2010 Had medical, because my doctors letter didnt say the words MMR in the letter I had to have vaccination again plus the tetanus. E410 for everything.

02-09-2010 Received packet 4. Picked up medical results.

03-01-2010 Interview . Found out I needed a joint sponsor because my husband has'nt had any US earned income in the last 2 years.

03-08-2010 All paperwork received , my case has been placed under review. Hope I get my visa soon.

03-11-2010 Received my visa today!

03-15-2010 POE Chicago.

Timeline
Guys.

18 days till my interview in Dublin......

Advice, words of wisdom, anything to help would be much appreciated...

Check and doublecheck all your forms & letters. Dublin is CRAZY MAD about making sure that no forms are expired and all letters from official places are certified, etc. If you have birth, marriage or divorce certificates, court records, or whatever, make sure they are certified by the places issuing them.

We just got a call from the Embassy yesterday that our G325a forms were expired by 4 days. It's the same exact form as the new one that expires in 2011, but they made us re-submit G325a forms. The ones we filed expired May 31, 2009, and our I-130 was filed using those forms 4 days later. :blink:

Married 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/09 - filed I-130

12/7/09 - Interview (denied for 28 yr old CIMT); filed waiver same day

6/18/10 - I-601 Waiver Denied, added misrep for checking wrong box on landing card (lifetime ban)

7/16/10 - AAO Appeal filed.

8/31/12 - AAO appeal sustained (THANK YOU, GOD FOR YOUR MERCY)

10/8/12 - USCIS sent file to Consulate

11/28/12 - Visa in hand

12/10/12 - HERE AT LAST! (ALL GLORY TO GOD!)

Timeline
Check and doublecheck all your forms & letters. Dublin is CRAZY MAD about making sure that no forms are expired and all letters from official places are certified, etc. If you have birth, marriage or divorce certificates, court records, or whatever, make sure they are certified by the places issuing them.

We just got a call from the Embassy yesterday that our G325a forms were expired by 4 days. It's the same exact form as the new one that expires in 2011, but they made us re-submit G325a forms. The ones we filed expired May 31, 2009, and our I-130 was filed using those forms 4 days later. :blink:

Hey, I don't get what you mean, forms expired? At the moment I don't have any forms, only copies. The NVC have all our documentation including Original Birth Certs and Marriage license. All I have to bring with me to the interview is proof of relationship, copies of my birth cert and marriage license and copies of our joint sponsors I-864 and financial documents...which forms do I need to check to see if they are expired? I never had any of the birth certs marriage certs certified either. Now you have me worried!

Sent I-130 - 04/01/09

Approved - 07/03/09

Sent DS-230 - 28/10/09

Case complete - 22/12/09

Medical - 14/01/2010

POE - June 2010

Timeline
Hey, I don't get what you mean, forms expired?

Believe it or not, it was the G325A forms that were filed way back in June! Apparently, there were newer ones that our attorney failed to use. If you downloaded the forms from USCIS, you'll be okay. I think our attorney just had some old ones layin around or something. Caused us a delay (for the last time, I might add).

Make sure your certificates have the original seals on them or are certified to be copies of the originals.

Married 2008

-------------------------------------------------------------------

5/21/09 - filed I-130

12/7/09 - Interview (denied for 28 yr old CIMT); filed waiver same day

6/18/10 - I-601 Waiver Denied, added misrep for checking wrong box on landing card (lifetime ban)

7/16/10 - AAO Appeal filed.

8/31/12 - AAO appeal sustained (THANK YOU, GOD FOR YOUR MERCY)

10/8/12 - USCIS sent file to Consulate

11/28/12 - Visa in hand

12/10/12 - HERE AT LAST! (ALL GLORY TO GOD!)

Timeline

Phew! I downloaded mine from the interweb, so we should be alright! Yes all the originals are the real deal, and we don't have any copies...We're getting there, i'm almost at ease!

I was worried also, as my wife hasn't filed her tax returns from 2009 yet....She never earned anything in the states in 2009, as she was living in Ireland, but apparently you still have to file a return...but there is a statement on the IRS website which says:

If you reside overseas, or are in the military on duty outside the U.S., you are allowed an automatic 2-month extension to file your return until June 15. However, any tax due must be paid by the original return due date (April 15) to avoid interest charges.

If you are unable to file your return by the due date, you can request an additional extension to October 15 by filing Form 4868 before the return due date. However, any payments made after June 15 would be subject to both interest charges and failure to pay penalties.

As our interview is on the 16th february we don't have to have the taxes filed...which is a relief, as we'd never have them in for that date now! We can wait and see if we get the green light, then proceed with filing for her!

I am doing a cr-1, but my wife will be with me at the interview, as she lives with me here now...Will they interview her too, or will she just sit beside me?

Sent I-130 - 04/01/09

Approved - 07/03/09

Sent DS-230 - 28/10/09

Case complete - 22/12/09

Medical - 14/01/2010

POE - June 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.