rubyred

NEW ZEALANDers heading to the US and their USC spouses - POST HERE!

2,284 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

God I don't feel middle aged either and my son made me a granny at 37 !!! :o

I decided at 40 I was going to start counting backwards......I figured by the time senility set in I'd be back to my teens and no-one would know the difference :wacko:

In my head I'm still 20 something and ready to party :dance::jest: ......except for the backache and the sore knees :crying::D

Our Timeline

AOS

February 23rd 2009 AOS sent in

March 7th 2009 NOA1 Received for EAD & AP

March 9th 2009 NOA1 Received for I-485 & Biometric Apt

March 17th 2009 RFE for Tax & Employment evidence

March 20th 2009 Biometric Apt

March 27th 2009 Sent back RFE

May 7th 2009 Called to give them a rev up!!

June 8th 2009 Still nothing!!!! - put in a service request for EAP & AP

June 10th 2009 Case status finally avaiable online for EAD & AP

June 10th 2009 EAD card production ordered

June 10th 2009 AP approval notice sent

FUNNY WHAT A PHONE CALL WILL DO.......

June 16th 2009 AP Received In mail!!!

June 17th 2009 EAD card production status changed to 17th June

June 19th 2009 EAD Mailed out

June 22nd 2009 EAD Received in mail!!!

July 14th 2009 I-485 finally online and transfered to California!!!!!

July 22nd 2009 Touch

July 31st 2009 Touch

August 3rd 2009 Touch

August 13th 2009 GC Card Production Ordered

August 17th 2009 Received "Welcome to the U.S." letter

August 22nd 2009 Received Green Card in the mail

June 6th 2011 ROC package sent off to VSC

June 13th 2011 NOA1 Letter

July 28th 2011 Biometrics

February 28th 2012 10yr GC Approval Letter

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

middle age? what's that? ;) In my head i'm still 24!! :yes:

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Counting backwards...that is an idea. Except for I'd presently be younger than my children :D

I can explain it to you. But I can't understand it for you.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline
in other news: we formally announced our engagement on new year's day, my parents were pretty much in the dark about our relationship/history (or so i thought - turns out they had a pretty good idea, which i think kim had already advised me of...

I'll tell you what I tell my kids... always listen to the mama! :lol: We just know things. ;) It's great to see you back Justine!!! Hard to believe it's been sooooo long since you even began to contemplate what you were going to do. I know you've made the choice to return home but in all honesty, I believe you would be just fine marrying and adjusting status while here in the States.

cdneh... woohoo.gif and that's all I have to say about that!

Congratulations Lisa and Tim!

know that around February/ March every year the two major airlines Qantas and Air New Zealand have specials on their air fares

don't forget to check air tahiti nui ;)

ivanna, they don't care about his income...they care about his ability and desire to work once he's here. ;) Have him bring a resume/CV to the interview.

Also, let me just share this with you...perhaps it would make you feel better. :lol: Russell left his job in AUS (a job where he made well over 6 figures) in 2006 to come to the U.S. just so we could be together. I was separated, but still legally married. My ex, who i'm still friendly with, gave me a difficult time in getting the divorce papers signed. Anyway, we (Russell and I) spent our entire savings (we're talking in the tens and tens of thousands of dollars) travelling around the world and leaving the U.S. every 3 months for a weekend abroad just so that we could be together. We were also blind to the process and just assumed we could be together then marry when I was 'eligible'. Ummm Duh! :lol: My ex continued to hold off and ...on one fateful journey to Dublin to meet the VWP guidelines... my love was denied entry and returned to NZ. Me... still married! Grrrrrrrrr. Needless to say, after spending more than a couple of years living together and travelling the world, we were forced to wait apart for one year... we had to wait for my divorce to become final (which in the end I had to hire a lawyer for) and then the months it took for this process. Now, I consider myself a relatively intelligent person but you certainly wouldn't be able to tell after the mess we found ourselves in. Russell (this man w ho worked so hard for his master's degree and left a great job) has now not worked in his field in almost 3 years. Savings depleted and debt rising to more than it was when I was in my early 20's. So when you add up the 75,000 or so in travel, that times 6 or so in lost wages and all the misery and stress it has caused ....yeah :) ..... feel better? :lol:

Nice to see so many posts here this weekend! Oh, and i'm 39...Russell is 30... but i'm not getting older... i'm just getting 'better'. ;)

Edited by KimandRuss
timeline.jpg

Any advice on phone cards in America? I have never been able to find a decent one and now my husband needs one to call home. Anyone have a good one they use? Or an idea of where to get one? I used to go to the Mobile in my old town but no such luck in this town

Timeline
I know you've made the choice to return home but in all honesty, I believe you would be just fine marrying and adjusting status while here in the States.

i am seriously considering this again. i just found a thread last night for J-1 visa holders going the AOS route, so i've posted some questions there. my biggest concern is proving that i came with no intention to marry. as i said on that thread: on the one hand, the 18 mths of friendship before i came here go towards proving a long term relationship, but on the other, it could go towards suggesting i came with the intention to marry - or at the very least, the idea that we 'might' marry.

but we would save so much money doing the AOS, and then we could afford to go back to nz for a holiday together. i just don't know what to do!!

07-10-2008 entered US on J-1 visa

01-01-2009 officially engaged

04-06-2009 married

04-25-2009 filed AOS

05-22-2009 biometrics appointment

06-05-2009 EAD received

06-17-2009 NOA2 received

07-30-2009 interview- recommended for approval! GC expected in 1-2 months

10-21-2009 received NOA for the I-130: "your petition is approved but... the applicant for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file for an adjustment of status at this time". still no GC :(

11-18-2009 welcome letter received!

12-01-2009 green card received!

september 2011 filed for removal of conditions

october 2011 biometrics appointment

december 2011 RFE received

january 2011 sent in RFE packet

february 2011 conditions lifted, 10 year green card received

Timeline

You hadn't even met him or been to the U.S. before you came here. You came with good intention and not with the idea that you would marry him and want to stay forever. I would never advise this to you if I thought you were breaking the law. You really just couldn't know, or even have filed, before having met him in person. I still say go for it. ;)

Oh and ....I read you were missing some things from home... I think you can get just about anything you're looking for if you check online.

amaciar... just so you know, verizon wirless phones work between here and NZ... at least our 4 do. Russell actually had one on my plan while he was back home. It does cost (unsure the amount) but not too bad really. We text each other all day/night long for more than a year and my bill was never that much higher. If you are looking for a good phone card tho... nobelcom.com is a great website. I've used them for calling NZ since 2000....until I found out about my verizon phones working. :lol:

timeline.jpg

More good news...Auckland has the electronic file :dance:

And DHL is shipping here....woohooo... :star:

Timeline

I can see you smiling from here and it's made my day!!! I'm so happy for you!

Hey, they scheduled Russell's interview when they had the electronic version only.... just a thought. :whistle:

timeline.jpg

I can see you smiling from here and it's made my day!!! I'm so happy for you!

Hey, they scheduled Russell's interview when they had the electronic version only.... just a thought. :whistle:

Yes...lol...I remembered that...and I have sent them an email to thank them for letting me know ...and ask if there is anything I can do :yes:

:dance:

Timeline
You hadn't even met him or been to the U.S. before you came here. You came with good intention and not with the idea that you would marry him and want to stay forever. I would never advise this to you if I thought you were breaking the law. You really just couldn't know, or even have filed, before having met him in person. I still say go for it. ;)

so, soooo tempted... but need to do some more research. i'm waiting to hear back on the J-1 thread for info regarding the interviews. looking at the averages on here, it's likely i'd be back in nz for upwards of six months if we did the K-1 thing. that just seems agonising. we would have our costs, plus save on airfares... in fact, because i have an open-ended ticket, we could use the money we would have spent on my return airfare to the US for a ticket for jordan to nz...

and CDNEH!! so happy for you!!! maybe i'm your lucky charm?? i popped up here and suddenly it all starts moving for you... ;)

07-10-2008 entered US on J-1 visa

01-01-2009 officially engaged

04-06-2009 married

04-25-2009 filed AOS

05-22-2009 biometrics appointment

06-05-2009 EAD received

06-17-2009 NOA2 received

07-30-2009 interview- recommended for approval! GC expected in 1-2 months

10-21-2009 received NOA for the I-130: "your petition is approved but... the applicant for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file for an adjustment of status at this time". still no GC :(

11-18-2009 welcome letter received!

12-01-2009 green card received!

september 2011 filed for removal of conditions

october 2011 biometrics appointment

december 2011 RFE received

january 2011 sent in RFE packet

february 2011 conditions lifted, 10 year green card received

More good news...Auckland has the electronic file :dance:

And DHL is shipping here....woohooo... :star:

wooo hooo!! :dancing: I see on your timeline your interview is Feb 2nd!! Just under 3 weeks to go!!! yay!!! soo very happy for you!! :)

kimandruss: Would you know if verizon has prepaid phones at all? I'd really love to get a mobile phone asap when i arrive there but would prefer prepaid, so you can pay as you use kinda thing :star:

ROC

06/01/2011 - Mailed ROC package to CSC

06/02/2011 - Package arrived and signed for at CSC

06/02/2011 - NOA receipt date

06/06/2011 - Check cashed

06/07/2011 - NOA arrived in the mail

06/15/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in the mail

07/11/2011 - Biometrics appointment

02/02/2012 - Phoned USCIS and put in a service request

02/08/2012 - Email from USCIS confirming my request

02/11/2012 - Letter from USCIS - says i should receive news within 30 days

03/14/2012 - Phoned USCIS again. 30 days has passed. no news. Took details again.

03/15/2012 -Received letter from USCIS - have to go to interview April 24th

04/24/2012 - Interview and ROC approved!!

05/07/2012 - Received email, card production ordered

05/11/2012 - Green card arrived

N-400

06/22/2012 - Mailed N-400 package to Phoenix/AZ Lockbox

06/26/2012 - NOA date

06/28/2012 - Check cashed

06/29/2012 - NOA arrived in the mail

07/02/2012 - Biometrics appointment letter arrived in mail

07/19/2012 - Biometrics appointment

07/30/2012 - Received text +email. Application placed in line for interview

07/30/2012 - Received text +email in evening - interview letter sent

08/03/2012 - Received interview letter

09/19/2012 - Interview - passed interview/test!!

10/24/2012 - Oath Ceremony!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.