y2ksbabygirl

I'm SO Confused!!!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

:help: Ok, so my fiance and I are trying to get the forms in order for my K1 finacee visa. Now I got the "greencard through marriage" pdf booklet (ah, $50 well spent NOT) from USCIS, and it reads like really bad stereo instructions. I am in the process of checking out the guidelines here, to see what help I can get about this. Also, there are 2 different checklists on what we need to do if the marriage takes place in the US (which it is going to) and then step by step instructions, which really aren't any help!!!!!

ANYWAY!!!! I am reading one thing and wondering what we do. Do I file and THEN we go down to the US? or can we (i have a daughter who's coming with me on the visa) go down there, get married within the 90 days, and THEN we file? One thing says if filing from within the US, and how it can take so many days etc, and it mentions that if the interview will take longer than 90 days that my work stuff will get approved within days.

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE if someone can help me to figure this out, because i KNOW it's going to be stressful to help my fiance fill out the papers that he needs to fill out. Not to mention, the fact that we are separated AGAIN!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

:blink:

What.

Are you the Canadian beneficiary or are you the American citizen?

You guys have to file FIRST to get clearance for the Canadian to come to the US to THEN be married. This is a long process. Count on a long (hopefully patient) wait.

Yes, as far as I've heard, the guidebooks and definately lawyers suck, and yes the USCIS's instructions is usually very lacking. The guides here are very good and clarifying and simplified so if I were you I'd stick with them.

Look over the K-1 Fiance Visa guides and timeline which you said you were already doing. It gives you an overview of the entire process.

The first thing the American citizen needs to do is send in the Petition for an Alien Fiance, which includes the I-129F form filled out by the US citizen, the G-325a Biograph filled out by BOTH the American and the Canadian, and some primary proof that you've been together (this is airplane tickets, train passes, hotel receipts, stuff like this) in the last 2 years.

American sends all the stuff in this packet in. Follow this guide and include everything this says to include. The fee for the Petition is $455.

Then you're gonna sit and wait like good little boys and girls for about 4-6 months for the US government to respond, basically. You're gonna get a Notice of Action 1 which means they've received the packet and are looking at it, a Notice of Action 2 which means they're about done with it and ready to send it off to the foreign fiance's embassy. At this point you can start getting excited. At this point the American will also need to send the complete copy of the original Petition packet to the Canadian, and the Canadian will receive a US government package with a bunch of new forms for the Canadian to fill out, new fees, an interview to worry about, a medical, a police report, all kinds of fun stuff.

Basically if you're looking to start now, expect it to be probably about 6-9 months before both of you can live in the US and the Canadian's visa is granted. Then you get married in 90 days after the day the Canadian enters the country. Then you get to deal with MORE stuff for the next 2 years.

Basically, make sure you're ready for all this and this is what you wanna do, the best option for you guys. If you're ready, focus on the Petition for the Alien Fiance for now, and worry about all the other stuff later. Read up on all this as much as you can and I do recommend this site as your best source for guidance.

Good luck!

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Timeline

What.

Are you the Canadian beneficiary or are you the American citizen?

You guys have to file FIRST to get clearance for the Canadian to come to the US to THEN be married. This is a long process. Count on a long (hopefully patient) wait.

Yes, as far as I've heard, the guidebooks and definately lawyers suck, and yes the USCIS's instructions is usually very lacking. The guides here are very good and clarifying and simplified so if I were you I'd stick with them.

Look over the K-1 Fiance Visa guides and timeline which you said you were already doing. It gives you an overview of the entire process.

The first thing the American citizen needs to do is send in the Petition for an Alien Fiance, which includes the I-129F form filled out by the US citizen, the G-325a Biograph filled out by BOTH the American and the Canadian, and some primary proof that you've been together (this is airplane tickets, train passes, hotel receipts, stuff like this) in the last 2 years.

American sends all the stuff in this packet in. Follow this guide and include everything this says to include. The fee for the Petition is $455.

Then you're gonna sit and wait like good little boys and girls for about 4-6 months for the US government to respond, basically. You're gonna get a Notice of Action 1 which means they've received the packet and are looking at it, a Notice of Action 2 which means they're about done with it and ready to send it off to the foreign fiance's embassy. At this point you can start getting excited. At this point the American will also need to send the complete copy of the original Petition packet to the Canadian, and the Canadian will receive a US government package with a bunch of new forms for the Canadian to fill out, new fees, an interview to worry about, a medical, a police report, all kinds of fun stuff.

Basically if you're looking to start now, expect it to be probably about 6-9 months before both of you can live in the US and the Canadian's visa is granted. Then you get married in 90 days after the day the Canadian enters the country. Then you get to deal with MORE stuff for the next 2 years.

Basically, make sure you're ready for all this and this is what you wanna do, the best option for you guys. If you're ready, focus on the Petition for the Alien Fiance for now, and worry about all the other stuff later. Read up on all this as much as you can and I do recommend this site as your best source for guidance.

Good luck!

OH THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I am the Canadian and he is the American... you know you would think that with Free Trade and all we could enter and marry with less hassle!!!!! hahahahaha

Anyway, we have all the stuff, and we are trying to ge them in order... he lives in Texas, and so he can hand deliver all the stuff to the Texas office, or so we have seen etc....

And I am in British Columbia, so we have the embassy here in Vancouver... so yay!!! heehee And I will be getting ALL the copies of everything because I will be the one doing most of the work, he just will have to sign his name... I end up with more days off than he does right now, he works monday to friday and i work scattered shift work....

Thanks again!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Good luck!

OH THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! I am the Canadian and he is the American... you know you would think that with Free Trade and all we could enter and marry with less hassle!!!!! hahahahaha

Thanks again!!!

YA!! It's what we thought too but it seems that now we are in same bag than others lolll :D hum no comments lol

After all what Canadians would want from US beside loveeeeeeeee loll ;) (just kidding...well at 50% lol )

Good luck !! (F)

Timeline

Good luck!

Thanks again!!!

YA!! It's what we thought too but it seems that now we are in same bag than others lolll :D hum no comments lol

After all what Canadians would want from US beside loveeeeeeeee loll ;) (just kidding...well at 50% lol )

Good luck !! (F)

Well I have a friend who married in canada, then moved down there to be with her hubby, and it took like a year and a half... we just want to get married....

let's keep our fingers crossed that we can get this going and all that fun stuff.....

Anyway, we have all the stuff, and we are trying to ge them in order... he lives in Texas, and so he can hand deliver all the stuff to the Texas office, or so we have seen etc....

Actually no, Texas no longer processes K visas. He will be sending the petition to the Vermont Service Center as stated here

Best of luck to you! :)

Read the Guides here a number of times to make sure you have everything you need to file.

:)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

well why then is Texas still listed in the "Greencard through Marriage" book i bought???????

Do we really need to supply them with 3years of tax returns for him?

i am really hoping to get the information regarding my biological mother before any of this.... she was apparently an american citizen who was here in canada to go to school and ended up getting pregnant and having me in canada....

my adoptive parents have always told me that they wished they had proceeded with dual citizenship....

i'm getting so frustrated with all this.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.