aussiewench

"Uk" Waiver club 601/212, List for uk waivers sign up!

802 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

no one knows how Liam managed to contact the embassy and get back in to see them when he had his problems? i feel we deserve to talk to the supervisor who arranged for us to be allowed to file the waiver. the matter of the wording of the charge was supposed to have been already sorted. we did not expect that part to be an issue.

mary

Guys

I do not believe that your CIMT is not waiverable, are you sure you didnt misread the letter?

even violent crimes are waiverable (difficult but still there is a legal right to try)

By the way, we just got denied too but in Lima.

To file a Motion to reconsider you need to show that the law was misapplied. I just filed one.

however if it goes to the appeals office in washington it will take a long time and probably get

denied, SO... if your MTR fails then withdraw it and file another brand new waiver.

you really need to check this out your options are not all exhausted yet

P

i don't know if you have read all of my posts.. especially the one that i made right after the interview that explains the circumstance:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums2/index.p...c=43106&st=2160

the ONLY waiver for a drug offence is if it is one time only, simple possession, and under 30 grams (cannibus)

because this happened at customs... the swansea ferryport in wales... waiting for a ferry to ireland (which means they were going to another country)... what was in fact simple possession in any other circumstance became attempted exporting. never mind that it wasnt even tom's stuff and he didnt know it was in the car.

further complicating the situation is the fact that no record was ever kept of the amount so we have no proof it was under 30 grams. however, common sense should show that it had to be a small amount. he only received a £100 pound fine in a magistrate court. the court lawyer who insisted he plead guilty (intimidated him into believing he would be in alot of trouble if he didn't) said it was a tiny amount, would result in a small fine... that he was to plead guilty to personal possession and it would be a "slap on the wrist."

that "slap" is hitting us awfully hard 8 years later!

tom never knew that the formal charge was exporting until he sent for his police report and court report for this immigration process. for 8 years he thought it was personal possession. and of course, given the small fine, it is a spent crime now here in the UK. as far as the UK is concerned he does not have to disclose this to anyone. unfortunately the USA does not honor Britains Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

tom was always unhappy that he had been forced into pleading guilty to something he didn't do. now it has come back to haunt him in such and unfair way... for both of us.

we did not misread the letter.... I quoted part of it in a previous post....

"As the applicant provides no other evidence and since the conviction was for attempting to export a controlled drug, no relief is available under Section 212 (h) of the Act. Since the applicant is not eligible for relief, no purpose would be served by considering hardship to a qualifying relative or exercising the Attorney General's discretion.

Therefore, the application for waiver of grounds of admissibility is denied, as a matter of law."

my point is... they should not have let us file the waiver in the first place if this was to be the result. however, we were told at the interview that they could see this was not a case of trafficking (which exporting is). they spent time a long time speaking with supervisors and when they finally called us back to the window and gave us the waiver forms, we were led to believe it was being treated as simple possession... as that is the only waiver available for a drug offence.

so... now you tell me even violent crimes are waiverable? this is such a messed up system. so if he had committed a violent crime we could live in the usa... but because he was in a car one night where someone had a small amount of marijuana, we cannot. because of that one night so long ago, that was mishandled by the officials concerned, i am sentenced to a life away from my kids and grandkids and have to leave the house i have lived in for 30 years! and the man i love will never even be able to visit there with me. he can't even go there to help me with the daunting task of trying to liquidate 30 years worth of household goods and get a 150 year old beat up house ready for sale.

i am terrified that we will be separated for many months while i try to do all that on my own. i am too old to have this time taken away from us. we are being cheated of time we need to have together. we are mourning for the lifestyle we could have and should have been entitled to. my government has let me down. they don't care about me at all. they don't care about how much they have hurt me.. how much they have hurt us.

mary

Edited by mary&tom

Tom (London)   Mary (Michigan)

Sept. 2003 - meet online, become friends

May 2004 - we have grown close

Nov. 2004 - Tom books a flight to Michigan for Jan. 2005

Jan. 17, 2005 - first meeting at the Detroit Airport, 16 days together!

Feb. 2. 2005 - Tom returns to London. We start investigating our options

April 7, 2005 - Tom arrives for another visit.

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

April 26, 2005 - K1 sent to Nebrasksa. Tom flies back to London :(

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

June 14, 2005 - Tom returns to the USA:)

July 5, 2005 - Tom goes back to London :(

July 25, 2005 - NOA2 email- waited 3 months

Aug. 22, 2005 - Tom receives Packet 3

Sept. 6, 2005 - Packet 3 sent to Embassy

Oct. 20, 2005 - medical in London -booked 7 weeks earlier!

Nov. 9, 2005 - email embassy - have we have been forgotten?

Nov. 15, 2005 - Mary flies to London (Brixton) for 12 weeks

Nov. 18, 2005 - embassy replies to email, date assigned

Nov. 22, 2005 - Packet 4 received

Nov. 25, 2005 - interview in London - DENIED :(

Nov. 30, 2005 - mailed waiver

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 3, 2006 - WAIVER DENIED :(

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

May 10th - Mary returns to USA - torn apart again

June 27, 2006 - Mary receives UK fiance visa

July 31,2006 - Mary sells house in USA

Sept. 1, 2006 - Mary moves to UK

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I was happy for a minute. I received an email from London stating our interview was for May 6th 2006 at 10:30 am. (we requested May) Then I realized that May 6th is on a Saturday. I think there is a mistake since I thought the embassy only took appointments from Monday to Friday. I guess we will wait and see what the letter says when we get it. May have just been a typo.

Baileyj

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

I would wait until you get the letter, too, but I don't think Saturday interviews are entirely unheard of, either. Good news anyway! :thumbs:

And Mary, I've been so worried for you and Tom...I just hate to see you still suffering over this whole situation. :( I'd love to see you fight it; it's absurd that convictions for violent offenses can be waived while non-violent drug offenses so many years in the past can't (and Tom wasn't even *actually* guilty, from what you've told us). Still, though, as everyone here has said, you'll make the decision that's best for both of you. We're still all behind you.

*hugs*

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

I'd just like to let everyone know that today is the day that I got my "rude" e-mail from the London USCIS dept. that I have been waiting for!! :D

So they said it was put on their system today, I guess I can kiss goodbye the 2nd of February as the date that I should be waiting from, even though that was when I ORIGINALLY submitted the waiver in London in person......

still it's on the system anyway..... :thumbs:

is it me or does even good news on this forum at the moment sound strange.... because of what Tom and Mary are going through....

I still can't beleive what happened to them :(

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

On a lighter note...I still have yet to hear from the Embassy about our waiver. It has technically been 12 weeks since the put us in the system...ahhhh....how frustrating.....

Baby Boy born on November 24th 2008

Received Visa Feb 10th 2008

Waiting for appointment at Embassy on April 7th for Baby's passport and report of birth abroad!!!

After three long years moving back to America on May 4th 2008

Timeline
On a lighter note...I still have yet to hear from the Embassy about our waiver. It has technically been 12 weeks since the put us in the system...ahhhh....how frustrating.....

oh ugh!!! I was sure you would get your approval today... I had a theory that they sit and wait so that you find out exactly at 12 weeks. When we got the letter on Friday it was exactly 12 weeks from when we were put into the system... but 14 weeks from our interview date. We started the whole thing last April. If we had known then what we know now, we should have just started back then to make arrangements for me to move here.

thing is... my sadie was still alive then.... and she could not come to the uk because pitbulls are banned here. she could never have survived the 6 month quarantine period anyway... she had a huge need to be with her people at all times. so... my dog was banned in the Uk and now my man is banned in the USA. what a world we live in.

mary

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

Feb. 6, 2006 - still waiting for decision. Mary extends stay from Feb. 7 to March 21

March 2006 - Mary extends UK stay again. We rent a house near London (Gravesend) and move.

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

jpkeswim,

did you actually submit your waiver on the day of your interview in London or was it mailed in?

Timeline

I wish we would find out soon! I think we are worrying our parents sick. They are too old to worry also. Everytime one of them calls us they always ask, "did they call." I always tell them don't you think you would know by now if they had called. And of course everyone always has their own theory when he is going to get over here. Sorry I had to go on a tangent....

Waiting for appointment at Embassy on April 7th for Baby's passport and report of birth abroad!!!

Mary,

sorry yes I didnt realize that was what you were talking about, :(...

P

First Met Hubby, summer 2001

Married in Argentina May 4th 2004

I-130

NOA1 from TSC 5/24/04

NOA1 from CSC 09/10/04

RFE!!! 04/20/05

RFE letter officially late/missing 05/05/05

RFE found-- was sent to ex lawyer address

RFE Retrieved and returned today 05/16/05

RFE Receipt Notice 06/17/05

Case sent to Miami 06/29/05

717 DAYS 5/08/06 I-130 APPROVED!!!!

Interview scheduled in Miami office 05/08/06 - OMG We have to wait until May!!!! (2 YEARS)

Case forwarded to embassy 10/12/06!!, now we get to file the waiver over again.

Interview in BsAs 02/27/07

Refiled another I-601 and I-212 March 1007

I-129F

NOA1 from MSC 08/24/04

Updated 03/16/05

APPROVED 206 days!!!! 03/14/05

Assigned New BNS Case number 03/11/05

Received K3 Forms & Instructions 04/11/05

Interview 06/02/05

Filed I-601 06/02/05---- 235 DAYS

Filed I-212 11/18/05 (embassy forgot to tell us we needed this)

I-601 and I-212 Denied 2/07/06

Filed Motion to Reconsider 03/01/06

Withdrew Appeal 02/25/07

Timeline

PaulC

Yes we actually submitted our waiver the day of the interview. It didn't get in the system until a week and a half later though. Our lawyer had all that paper work in order for us. We knew we were going to have to file for his overstay.........

Karen

Timeline

Mary,

I've never been hapy with what the courts told me regarding not having any other information other than what was supplied by the police certificate. After a lot of phone calls and requests, I trusted their word that that was true. I've spent the past couple of weeks researching into this further. It seems there is precious little information on the web about marijuana offences and the I-601, and most of it isn't particularly helpful.

What I did find out is that you can demand a copy of the courts documents from Her Majesty's Court Service. This is called a Memorandum of Conviction. You will need the exact sentencing date for that, which is shown on the police certificate. From what I gather this document will detail what was said in court and may well shed some light into Tom's part in what happened. The Courts Service office may not necessarily be the court that Tom was sentenced in.

This past week I have been doing just that and today I have been told that my court records have shown up after all. It costs £25 to obtain a copy. I immediately escaped from work to send off a postal order for the amount. I then phoned the embassy who told me to send any post-interview documents to the Immigrant Visa Section.

(So right now for the first time I hope they actually haven't begun processing my waiver!)

From what I have read, it seems better to resubmit the waiver rather than go through the appeal process, but it seems you will definitely need any information that proves Toms part in the incident.

As regards phone numbers, I just used the general £1.20 a minute line. Otherwise I have found this page :

http://www.goldsteinvisa.com/london_v.html

which has plenty on, but I can't verify any of them!

Rob

Edited by wendibob

July 2003 - Met online

Oct 2004 - Finally met in person ~ engaged

Nov 2004 - I-29 sent

Jan 2005 - Rejected. Wouldn't accept digital photgraphs as proof!!

Apr 14 05 - Married in Roslyn Scotland

Apr 29 05 - I-130 sent

Mar 10 05- I-130 NOA1

Jul 10 05- I-129f sent

Jul 28 05 - I-129f NOA1

Oct 27 05 - K3 Packet 3 received

Nov 11 05 - Packet 3 sent

Dec 12 05 - Packet 4 received

Jan 05 06 - K3 Interview London - rejected I-601 applied

Jan 13 06 - I-601 filed

March 25 06 - Odd letter arrives from Homeland Security granting the application...

March 31 06 - Email confirmation of approval! 11 weeks. Yippeeeee.....

April 03 06 - SMS pick passport up from home.

April 12 06 - SMS nearly deliver visa.

Timeline
Mary,

I've never been hapy with what the courts told me regarding not having any other information other than what was supplied by the police certificate. After a lot of phone calls and requests, I trusted their word that that was true. I've spent the past couple of weeks researching into this further. It seems there is precious little information on the web about marijuana offences and the I-601, and most of it isn't particularly helpful.

What I did find out is that you can demand a copy of the courts documents from Her Majesty's Court Service. This is called a Memorandum of Conviction. You will need the exact sentencing date for that, which is shown on the police certificate. From what I gather this document will detail what was said in court and may well shed some light into Tom's part in what happened. The Courts Service office may not necessarily be the court that Tom was sentenced in.

This past week I have been doing just that and today I have been told that my court records have shown up after all. It costs £25 to obtain a copy. I immediately escaped from work to send off a postal order for the amount. I then phoned the embassy who told me to send any post-interview documents to the Immigrant Visa Section.

(So right now for the first time I hope they actually haven't begun processing my waiver!)

From what I have read, it seems better to resubmit the waiver rather than go through the appeal process, but it seems you will definitely need any information that proves Toms part in the incident.

As regards phone numbers, I just used the general £1.20 a minute line. Otherwise I have found this page :

http://www.goldsteinvisa.com/london_v.html

which has plenty on, but I can't verify any of them!

Rob

Thank you. I will show this post to Tom when he gets home from work soon.

mary

April 8, 2005 - engaged.

May 6, 2005 - NOA1

Oct. 9, 2006 - wedding

Timeline

Mary and Tom, I had been out of town since last week, but have been thinking about you. I had hoped it was good news and I'm so sorry to hear of the difficult time you're going through. I also hope you all decide to fight this. I can't believe that the courts over there don't keep records of what happens in criminal court! Especially since it was only seven years ago, did you say? Good luck with whatever you decide. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.

On a completely different note, did anyone else go immediately to the us london embassy "new tracking service" for I601 waivers? I certainly did and I must say I was shocked!!! Here I was thinking, well, they must process thousands of these every month and that's why they've extended the processing times. Imagine my puzzlement when I discovered a mere seven in their system since February! What's that about?! Why is it taking so long? Anyone care to venture a guess? I also noticed that we're not on that list and I'm wondering when we will be. I'd like to be able to finally start the twelve weeks. Did I mention I'm trying to plan a wedding!? :(

Tiff

Hi cmltdg,

Don't know if you noticed but I think it says that only the waivers filed after Feb are on the new tracking system. Yours was filed before that i think so you wouldn't be on there. It does still seem strange that there are so few listed even if it only list waivers filed after that time.

Hope you hear something soon,

Baileyj

SHA ZAM!!! I-601 WAIVER APPROVED......10/13/06

11/18/06 Arrived

12/21/06 Filed for Social Security number

12/22/06 Married

01/03/2007 Social Security number arrived

01/10/07 Filed AOS

01/19/07 NOA1

02/05/07 Biometrics

2/6/07 Touch on EAD

02/07 Received RFE and returned information within 2 days

2/24/07 Transferred to California

2/26/07 Received letter (Transfer to California)

3/1/07 AOS email confirmation that case was received in California

3/2/07 AOS Touched again today but no update.

3/5/07 AOS another touch but no update.

4/5/07 EAD Touched again

4/9/07 EAD Touched.

4/10/07 EAD card ordered.

Removal of Conditions

6/8/2009 Sent I-751.

6/12/2009 Check Cashed

6/15/2009 NOA1 Received

6/25/2009 Received biometrics letter

7/13/2009 Biometrics appointment at Indianapolis Indiana

Tiff,

Bailey's right, only waivers filed after the 1st of Feb are on there. However I was also surprised to find that an office that deals with the jurisdiction of not only the UK waivers, but also ones from Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway and the Republic of Ireland has only SEVEN waivers on it's tracking system since the 1st of Feb. :P

I guess they are in the process of putting them onto this new system, maybe they put so many on every week, as the last input date hasn't moved since last Friday!

Tiff, haven't you received your rude e-mail from London Uscis saying that the waiver was received etc. and not to bother them? If you got that you can count down the 12-15 weeks from that received date.

Mine was received by their office on the 7th of March.

Talking of which.... hey Nigel, how about updating the UK waiver list, I haven't seen it for a while am miss it deeply :lol:

Paul

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.