rhymeswithcandi

A Question for the Canadians: Do you plan to become a citizen?

US Citizenship  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you plan to apply for US Citizenship when you are eligible?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

43 posts in this topic

My hubby is passionate about being a Canadian and the act of renouncing his citizenship at an oath ceremony, even if it is not recognized by the Canadian government and is symbolic, makes him not want to pursue dual citizenship.

2e020152f8374f4fbd9014e3cc2c05fe.jpg

catcatadb20080508_-7_My%20child%20is.png

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to give up Canadian citizenship. But you do, if I understand it correctly, give up your rights to use your Canadian citizenship to be treated as a Canadian citizen by the U.S. government. (I can't think of many ordinary circumstances where this would come up.)

Our intention now is for C. to get his citizenship mostly so it reduces the number of immigration agencies that can potentially be on our case to 1. :)

AOS

-

Filed: 8/1/07

NOA1:9/7/07

Biometrics: 9/28/07

EAD/AP: 10/17/07

EAD card ordered again (who knows, maybe we got the two-fer deal): 10/23/-7

Transferred to CSC: 10/26/07

Approved: 11/21/07

You don't have to give up Canadian citizenship. But you do, if I understand it correctly, give up your rights to use your Canadian citizenship to be treated as a Canadian citizen by the U.S. government. (I can't think of many ordinary circumstances where this would come up.)

Our intention now is for C. to get his citizenship mostly so it reduces the number of immigration agencies that can potentially be on our case to 1. :)

I agree....you don't have to give up your Canadian citizenship..they recognize both.

You simply give up being treated as a Canadian. You are both. Canadian and American.

:)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I voted yes, because I became a US Citizen last year. Right now I have both passports, however the US passport is good for 10 years, so will probably not re-apply for a Canadian one in the future and just keep the US one. It'll mean I'll have to declare myself American when going to visit Canada, but I do that now anyways, I just can't be bothered to go through the passport hassle with Canada again, plus not keen on taking 2 passports with me to the border.

And yes for those who want to know, Canada reconizes dual citizenship. The US just tollerates it, but you do not lose your Canadian one because you take on another nations. Germany and India and Peru for example do not allow dual citizenships, so those people actually have to renounce their homelands citizenship when they take on a US one. Canada does not. Hence you can claim at customs Dual when entering Canada, but you must declare yourself US if you come back to the US as dual isn't really reconized.

Many many good reasons to get US citizenship. Some happens after retierment, others allow you to work in any sector and any job (many are for USC only), security of resiendcy, no more having to do a AR-11 everytime you move, etc...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I voted yes, because I became a US Citizen last year. Right now I have both passports, however the US passport is good for 10 years, so will probably not re-apply for a Canadian one in the future and just keep the US one. It'll mean I'll have to declare myself American when going to visit Canada, but I do that now anyways, I just can't be bothered to go through the passport hassle with Canada again, plus not keen on taking 2 passports with me to the border.

And yes for those who want to know, Canada reconizes dual citizenship. The US just tollerates it, but you do not lose your Canadian one because you take on another nations. Germany and India and Peru for example do not allow dual citizenships, so those people actually have to renounce their homelands citizenship when they take on a US one. Canada does not. Hence you can claim at customs Dual when entering Canada, but you must declare yourself US if you come back to the US as dual isn't really reconized.

Many many good reasons to get US citizenship. Some happens after retierment, others allow you to work in any sector and any job (many are for USC only), security of resiendcy, no more having to do a AR-11 everytime you move, etc...

Congrats on becoming a Citizen!

Now that you put it that way, it would be advantageous to pursue citizenship.

I know dual is possible but I've heard the US frowns upon it. I had a friend in high school who had dual citizenship (he was born in the US and his mother is Canadian) and he was held up for hours at the US border when they saw that he was holding 2 passports. The officer actually told him that he was going to destroy one of them because carrying 2 was illegal. He got across with both passports intact and later found out the border official was dead wrong.

I guess I have a few years to decide :)

Timeline

I plan on becoming a dual citizen (we want the flexibility of moving between the two countries with the minimum amount of paperwork needed), but I do have concerns about the US cracking down in the future -- this is not out of the realm of possibilities, since they are finally getting off their rear ends about the issue of passports needed to cross the Can/Am border. J and I talked about it when I first read this thread, and he told me that if it ever came down to "renounce your Canadian citizenship or leave" -- we'd leave.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

What happens when a U.S citizen takes up residency in Canada and becomes a Canadian citizen. Do they lose thier U.S citizenship and do they have to apply to become a U.S. citizen again if they wish to come back to the U.S.

Timeline
What happens when a U.S citizen takes up residency in Canada and becomes a Canadian citizen. Do they lose thier U.S citizenship and do they have to apply to become a U.S. citizen again if they wish to come back to the U.S.

As far as I know, Canada does not require that you renounce citizenship to any other country.

Timeline
:blink::blink: OK I'm all confused loll

I voted yes because I want dual citizenship but why in the world would we have to pay a fee to stay a citizen of our own country ??? :huh::unsure:

And how can we be dual if we have to give up one or another ???

:bonk:

If you are Canadian getting a US citizenship you do not give up your Canadian. Canada will reconize you as still being Canadian unless you personlly go and denounce your citizenship.

If you lived in Germany they won't allow you to be a citizen of any other country so those people would give up their German citizenship to be an US one. The US doesn't reconize dual citizenship, but Canada does, so in the US eyes you have removed your alliegance to any other nation. In Canada's eyes, it doesn't matter what the US states, you're still Canadian to them.

Hope that clears it up. Just if you are a new USC, don't ever declare yourself as anything other then a USC when comming back across the border and only use your US passport. Don't claim dual either.

Now if you natrualized as a USC and then moved to another country say somewhere in Europe say, and took up a 3rd citizenship, you would be at risk losing the US citizenship but not the Canadian. For natural born US citizens I think that is different and they would still be seen as a US citizen. Not 100% sure on that. Most people move and then just don't inform the US that they have another nationality...

Edited by warlord

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

As far as I know, Canada does not require that you renounce citizenship to any other country.

I think you're right Canada doesn't require one to renouce allegiance or sovereinty to another State or Country. What I'm trying to find out is how does the U.S. look at a U.S. citizen becoming a Canadian citizen. By doing so is thier U.S citizenship revoked. Does the U.S citizen have to re- apply for U.S. citizenship

If we ever moved back to Canada and Lorry became a Canadain citizen but then say several years later she missed her home and family and wanted to move back to the U.S. would she have retained her U.S. citizenship or is she immigrating

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Yes, I plan to work as a Police Officer in a few years. In order to do so I have to at the least have APPLIED for citizenship. So that's the plan.

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline
Yes, I plan to work as a Police Officer in a few years. In order to do so I have to at the least have APPLIED for citizenship. So that's the plan.

Oh that's a good reason to become a US citizen :)

My mom tried to convince my husband to become a "Mountie" so we could live in Canada but he doesn't like the hats.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.