tnw

DS230 and Kingston Emabassy

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Question for all those who filed K-1 for fiance in Jamaica....

How long does it take for Kingston to receive our cases once we're approved? Secondly, can the DS230 Part I be submitted as soon as Kingston receives the case or should you technically wait for your fiance to get Packet 3?

Some are dropping the DS230 off in person and some are just sending it in after they get packet 3 so I'm looking for some insight about the process. Do you need an appointment to "drop off" the DS230 if that's how you're going to submit it? :wacko:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Tonisha

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You know I went through 2 years ago and it was much simplier then.

I think you have to have an appointment to drop it off now.

Gill would probably be the best one to ask now cause she's the most recent, T.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline

How long does it take for Kingston to receive our cases once we're approved? Secondly, can the DS230 Part I be submitted as soon as Kingston receives the case or should you technically wait for your fiance to get Packet 3?

Some are dropping the DS230 off in person and some are just sending it in after they get packet 3 so I'm looking for some insight about the process. Do you need an appointment to "drop off" the DS230 if that's how you're going to submit it? :wacko:

Tonisha

Tonisha,

I filed a K-3; therefore, my case had taken a little longer. You should have an interview 2-3 months after the Embassy receives the DS-230. Don't quote me on how long it takes for the NVC to notify Kingston. I think it was a month or less.

For the DS-230, there are two options (1) Make an appointment by e-mail to drop it off. OR (2) Send the form to the Embassy by courier (e.g. Air Pak, DHL, Fed Ex). Therefore, you have a signature to verify receipt of the envelope.

When we went to pick up the Packet 3 in person, we had to make an appointment. I saw people get turned away because your name must be on the security officer's list. There is a clip board that the security checks before you are allowed to enter the building.

In the mean time, get all of your ducks in a row (Non-Impediment, fiance's police certificate & birth certificate, tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements, employment letter). Planning ahead is a great way to occupy your time. Have all of your documents neatly organized. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Mrs. Scott

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Tonisha

Tonisha,

I filed a K-3; therefore, my case had taken a little longer. You should have an interview 2-3 months after the Embassy receives the DS-230. Don't quote me on how long it takes for the NVC to notify Kingston. I think it was a month or less.

For the DS-230, there are two options (1) Make an appointment by e-mail to drop it off. OR (2) Send the form to the Embassy by courier (e.g. Air Pak, DHL, Fed Ex). Therefore, you have a signature to verify receipt of the envelope.

When we went to pick up the Packet 3 in person, we had to make an appointment. I saw people get turned away because your name must be on the security officer's list. There is a clip board that the security checks before you are allowed to enter the building.

In the mean time, get all of your ducks in a row (Non-Impediment, fiance's police certificate & birth certificate, tax returns, pay stubs, bank statements, employment letter). Planning ahead is a great way to occupy your time. Have all of your documents neatly organized. Let us know if you have any more questions.

Mrs. Scott

Thanks for your insight. I found out it can be dropped off once you shedule a time to do so but thanks!

My fiance did the no impediment and police certif. already and some of it we got done on my prior trip in December. We also got extras of his birth certificate as J.G. instructed. (Thanks Jomo's Girl) LOL

I did an earlier version of the affidavit of support a few months ago and had it notarized so I've been collecting tax info, w-2's etc. and have more than 3 years worth of stuff. I know to do another affidavit closer to interview time and have it notarized as well. I'll keep chatting with othe VJer's to see if i'm missing anything too. :)

K-1 Timeline

Oct.5th, 2007 - Filed I-129F VSC Express Mail

Oct.12th, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Dec.14th, 2007 - Rec'd No Impediment and extras of Birth Certif. by mail

Jan. 31st, 2008 - NOA2 Hardcopy sent out from VSC

Feb. 5th, 2008 - NVC Receives Our Case

Feb.7th, 2008 - Got KNG# and Hardcopy of NOA2 in the Mail

Feb. 26th, 2008 - Dropped off DS230 Part I, Rec'd Packet 3; Filed for Police Report

Feb. 28th, 2008 - Rec'd Email from Embassy that Interview scheduled

April 1st, 2008 - Interview @ 1:30pm- APPROVED!!!

May 20th, 2008 - U.S. Entry at JFK w/ work stamp

June 13th, 2008 - SS# Received

June 19th, 2008 - Started work w/ JFK EAD

August 11th, 2008 - Wedding

AOS Timeline

Oct. 3rd, 2008 - Submitted AOS/ EAD/ AP Packet

Oct. 6th, 2008 - AOS Packet Rec'd at USCIS Xpress Mail

Oct. 13th, 2008 - NOA1 Rec'd

Oct. 27th, 2008 - Case Trsf to CSC

Nov. 1st, 2008 - Biometrics Appt.

Dec. 10, 2008 - EAD/AP Approved

Dec. 17, 2008 - Received EAD/AP : )

Timeline

I did not notorize my AOS and never got a RFE for that. Where does it say it needs to be notorized? Not that it matters, but I have never seen that in the iinstructions.

Edited by clairern

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

Claire........didn't you also say the embassy wanted 2 passport photos for the DS-230, that you didn't have?

TNW....send along 2 passport photos too.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Do you have to wait for Packet 3 or can I fill out the DS-230 with my fiance when I see him in March and just have him hold on to it until our case gets transferred from NVC?

In addition to the DS-230, what else could he turn it to the embassy at that appointment time?

thanks!

*****K-1 Timeline*****

12.14.07 I-129F sent to VSC via FedEx

12.17.07 Delivered to VSC at 11:40 AM signed by A. STANLEY

12.18.07 NOA1 date

12.20.07 Check Cashed!!

12.21.07 Touched

12.26.07 NOA1 hard copy received

02.17.08 NOA2 via email!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

02.19.08 Touched

02.20.08 Touched

02.21.08 Touched yet again

03.10.08 Case received in Kingston

03.11.08 DS-130 Part 1 turned in

03.17.08 Appointment to pick up Packet 4

03.18.08 Medical Exam

04.01.08 Interview!!!!!-APPROVED APPROVED!

04.22.08 Visa picked up from Airpack Ocho Rios

05.02.08 Go to Jamaica to pick up my love

05.05.08 Arrival to the US (via JFK)

06.07.08 Miami Wedding!

*****AOS TIMELINE*****

06.18.08 Sent packet to Chicago via FedEx

06.20.08 Delivered to Chicago at 12:28PM signed by J. CHYBA

06.24.08 NOA1 Date for EAD, AP and AOS

06.26.08 NOA1 for AOS received in mail

06.27.08 Touched

07.05.08 Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

07.24.08 Biometrics Appointment

07.28.08 Request for Initial Evidence

08.01.08 National Benefits Center received Evidence and Case resumed Processing

08.19.08 AOS case transferred to CSC

08.22.08 AP arrived in mail-APPROVED

08.25.08 EAD card arrives in mail (no updates or anything about AP or EAD)

Timeline
Do you have to wait for Packet 3 or can I fill out the DS-230 with my fiance when I see him in March and just have him hold on to it until our case gets transferred from NVC?

In addition to the DS-230, what else could he turn it to the embassy at that appointment time?

thanks!

Just the DS-230, with 2 passport photos, at that time.

No, it is better if you don't wait to receive packet 3. From the Jamaican embassy, packet 3 arrives at a snails pace. Sometimes, even after you get an appointment. Download it, fill it out.....he'll have to sign and date it before getting it to the embassy.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Timeline
Claire........didn't you also say the embassy wanted 2 passport photos for the DS-230, that you didn't have?

TNW....send along 2 passport photos too.

Yes JG, it was not requested, but from what I read last week on another thread where it was requested, I had Mike mail me 2 pics with the new DS-230. When I called last night, the NVC operator mentioned it as a new requirement. I just laughed, because my RFE does not mention that. I was going to send it in anyway. :thumbs::thumbs:

Support "OPEN ARMS FOR JAMAICA'S FUTURE" Help a child go to school

Timeline

If I've learned anything it's that all the "new requirements" seldom are known to anyone but the idiots who make up the rules.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Mrs. Scott

Just FYI, I got my packet-3 with the DS-230 form in it already ... that was something like a week from the NOA2. It looks like they may be getting better at getting the packages out. Well, hopefully anyway. :)

For clarification though: you CAN air-courier the DS-230 in? I am currently visiting with the fiance so if I can fill out the DS-230 and fedex to the embassy in Kingston and wait another couple of weeks before flying back to Kingston, it'd be great.

~

K-1 Visa

Oct 26, 2007 .... I-129F Sent to VSC

Oct 30, 2007 .... I-129F Received (NOA1)

Nov 06, 2007 .... Touched.

Feb 12, 2008 .... NOA2 via Email

Feb 27, 2008 .... NOA2 arrived via Post

Feb 27, 2008 .... What seems to be Pkt.3 arrives at the Kingston address

Feb 29, 2008 .... Packet-3 in my hand

Apr 24, 2008 .... Confirmation via email of interview scheduling

Apr 25, 2008 .... Packet-4 in my hand

May 05, 2008 .... Medical scheduled

May 27, 2008 .... Medical

Jun 10, 2008 .... Interview!!!

Jun 10, 2008 .... Visa approved!!!

Jul 01, 2008 .... Visa received!!!

Jul 03, 2008 .... Arrived home!!!

Aug 23, 2008 .... Wedding day!!!

AOS

Sep 15 2008 .... AOS Package mailed (USPS Priority Overnight)

Sep 16 2008 .... AOS Package delivered

Sep 19 2008 .... AOS Package received (in mailbox on Sep 22 2008)

Sep 30 2008 .... Biometrics appointment notice mailed

Oct 14 2008 .... Biometrics appointment in Louisville, KY

Oct 14 2008 .... I-765 touched

Oct 28 2008 .... AoS packet transferred to California

Nov 06 2008 .... I-485 touched

Dec 02 2008 .... EAD approved!!!

Dec 10 2008 .... EAD arrived!!! (SSA offices and my first job application done too!)

Jan 12 2009 .... I-485 touched

Mar 13 2009 .... Green Card arrived!!!!! The waiting is finished!

Timeline

I'm confused as to why you would want to air-courier it in. It has to be signed in Jamaica. Why not car-courier it in then? Much cheaper!

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
I'm confused as to why you would want to air-courier it in. It has to be signed in Jamaica. Why not car-courier it in then? Much cheaper!

Oh. Didn't know it had to be signed in Jamaica. Guess that answers that, then. Was just hoping to stay here with the fiancé for as long as possible.

~

K-1 Visa

Oct 26, 2007 .... I-129F Sent to VSC

Oct 30, 2007 .... I-129F Received (NOA1)

Nov 06, 2007 .... Touched.

Feb 12, 2008 .... NOA2 via Email

Feb 27, 2008 .... NOA2 arrived via Post

Feb 27, 2008 .... What seems to be Pkt.3 arrives at the Kingston address

Feb 29, 2008 .... Packet-3 in my hand

Apr 24, 2008 .... Confirmation via email of interview scheduling

Apr 25, 2008 .... Packet-4 in my hand

May 05, 2008 .... Medical scheduled

May 27, 2008 .... Medical

Jun 10, 2008 .... Interview!!!

Jun 10, 2008 .... Visa approved!!!

Jul 01, 2008 .... Visa received!!!

Jul 03, 2008 .... Arrived home!!!

Aug 23, 2008 .... Wedding day!!!

AOS

Sep 15 2008 .... AOS Package mailed (USPS Priority Overnight)

Sep 16 2008 .... AOS Package delivered

Sep 19 2008 .... AOS Package received (in mailbox on Sep 22 2008)

Sep 30 2008 .... Biometrics appointment notice mailed

Oct 14 2008 .... Biometrics appointment in Louisville, KY

Oct 14 2008 .... I-765 touched

Oct 28 2008 .... AoS packet transferred to California

Nov 06 2008 .... I-485 touched

Dec 02 2008 .... EAD approved!!!

Dec 10 2008 .... EAD arrived!!! (SSA offices and my first job application done too!)

Jan 12 2009 .... I-485 touched

Mar 13 2009 .... Green Card arrived!!!!! The waiting is finished!

Timeline

Why would it matter where it was signed? I don't see any space that has to be notarized, until the bottom which is done later in front of the consular officer - How would they know that you signed it in the US or in JA?

Fire de a Mus Mus tail, him tink a cool breeze

Timeline

I'm still confused then......What I meant was the person in Jamaica that was going to the JA embassy had to sign it. I did not see a point in taking the form back to the US to then Air ship it back to the JA embassy.

Are you saying that the Jamaican person is now in the US and will be when the form is sent in? If that is the case, then of course I would recommend shipping via UPS or FedEx to get the form to the embassy.

You only get one trip

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.