doug & angel

USC going to USEM for the interview .. how fast can you get the visa

19 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have a short window of opportunity to go with my Angel to the USEM for the interview. It would be thursday February 7th. I must return home to the US by the following monday (10am flight out of MNL) If I go, does this increase (or decrease) the chances of a granted visa being able to be picked up thursday or friday (and even possibly over the weekend?) and my family being able to fly home together?

Recent experience and comments would be much appreciated.

Our timeline..

06/27/2004 Met on the internet

[....] lots of things happen

02/10/2007 Met in person

[....]

04/11/2007 Sent NOA1

04/19/2007 Receipt Date

04/24/2007 Touch

[....]

06/26/2007 Met in person second time, this time with our kids

[....]

08/24/2007 Called CSC with Lawyer (We were told case was with an officer now)

08/26/2007 Touch

08/29/2007 Touch

08/30/2007 Touch

09/05/2007 Called CSC and was told we now have a RFE that was sent already .. they can't tell us what it is over the phone (#######?)

09/04/2007 RFE Date (sure enough there was one)

09/14/2007 RFE received (for information originally included in the packet)

09/14/2007 RFE response returned.. including letter to the effect the information was already in the package and another copy of same

09/26/2007 REF AGAIN for the same information, looks like a copy of the same letter as before

09/27/2007 RFE response returned via fedex, letter from the lawyer included

[...]

10/01/2007 electronic notification of receipt of RFE information & touch on the website.

10/02/2007 Touch

10/11/2007 Approval notice sent. "On October 9, 2007, we mailed you a notice...."

[...]

11/27/2007 Call to NVC and FINALLY a receipt number.

12/08/2007 Found ourselves on the IPV website and confirmed with a call

[...]

12/22/2007 Third in person meeting, christmas and new years

[...]

01/30/2008 St. Luke's PASSED!!!!

02/07/2008 Embassy APPROVED!!!!

02/11/2008 Pick up Visa

02/14/2008 Arrive @ home in the US

05/01/2009 Green Card Arrived.

Timeline

Going there for the interview increases the chance of getting approval for VISA pick-up, if you present a written request to the CO. However, you're probably looking at 2 or 3 business days after the interview for the VISA to be ready, IF they approve pick-up. We got it in 2 days. They don't work on weekends.

Edited by garya505

Going to the USEM might help with the visa pick-up thing, but I still doubt whether presence of the USC at the interview helps out any with the actually approval of the visa itself.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Going to the USEM might help with the visa pick-up thing, but I still doubt whether presence of the USC at the interview helps out any with the actually approval of the visa itself.

I have to agree with you.I was told by my lawyer to not go to the interview.He said it would just complicate things.

I had already made plans to go to the interview with my fiance ,but now I am not sure.But of course she wants me to go!

Hmm...what to do !....well i can answer that ...if she says go then i go !

I have to agree with you.I was told by my lawyer to not go to the interview.He said it would just complicate things.

I had already made plans to go to the interview with my fiance ,but now I am not sure.But of course she wants me to go!

I went to the interview with my wife on Jan 22 and I'm glad that I did. Both in the pre-screening and the interivew I was ask at least half the questions and I'm sure that my presence made my wife much more comfortable. We had paid the docement verification fee 4 weeks in advance so I'm sure that helped insure no delays. We chose not to ask to ask for the pick-up isnce we have plenty of time, but it was delivered to my wife's office the morning of Jan 24. If you let the CO know that you have to leave within a few days, it wil increase your chances of being allowed to pick up the visa as long as there are no delays caused by checking any documents.

Best of luck to you.

First trip 01-17-07

Married 02-05-07

What Service Center was filed at? Nebraska transferred to California

Provide dates for the following:

I-130 sent (Mailed)..........................3-12-07

1st NOA (Receipt Notice) .................3-29-07

2nd NOA (Approval Notice) e-mail.....6-15-07

Bill for I-864 processing fee rcd and sent..7-24-07

I-864 Packet Received......................8-18-07

I-864 Mailed to NV............................8-20-07

Bill for DS-230 received....................8-29-07

Payment for DS-230 sent..................8-30-07

DS-230 Packet received..................10-25-07

DS-230 Packet sent to NVC..............10-29-07

Case Completed..............................11-16-07

Case Forwarded to Embassy.............11-30-07

Packet recieved from NVC................12-07-07

Medical complete...............................1-04-08

Leave for Manila................................1-19-08

Interview and approval......................1-22-08

Visa in Hand .....................................1-24-08

Arrived in USA...................................3-19-08

Having the fiance during interview was a plus for me. The fiance/husband now was asked more questions then I was. Though I knew it cost a lot for him. We did not have a letter for visa pick -up. We just asked the girl on 37 if we can picked it up and she went to the CO for approval. Thursday interview visa picked up tuesday..

God is Great .. God is good... all the time..

N_-400

12/13/2010- SEnt The packet

12/22/2010- The packet was returned due to missing page.

12/23/2010- Resend the packet with complete pages.

12/29/2010- Check cashed in

01/03/2010- Receive NOA

01/10/2011- Email from USCIS for the Required Evidence( Finger printing)

01/26/2011-Biometric Schedule

02/07/2011-USCIS online status update-

02/12/2011- Received Interview Letter Scheduled March 14

02/12/2011- Received Descheduled letter

02/17/2011- USCIS online Status update

02/22/2011-New IL arrived schedule for March 29

02/22/2011-Descheduled Letter Again ( 2nd Time)

02/23/2011- I called USCIS and I was told new schedule in the computer for March 22

02/23/2011-USCIS ONline update....

03/01/2011-Interview Letter for March 22 @ 7:15 AM

03/22/2011- Interview and Oath; US Citizen

I was glad I was there for my wife's interview. I had a written request for visa pickup but the CO didn't want it. He told us that we should be getting a phone call on Monday ( interview was on Wednesday ) to pick up the visa, but the call came on Friday. Just two days and we had it.

I-130 Process

3-20-07 NOA 1

3-23-07 Touched

9-12-07 Touched ( because of phone call )

9-13-07 APPROVED

9-19-07 NOA 2

I-129f Process

4-06-07 NOA 1

4-09-07 Touched

4-17-07 Transferred to CSC

4-18-07 Touched

4-19-07 Touched

4-23-07 Hard copy transfer NOA

5-07-07 Pending at CSC

9-12-07 Touched ( because of phone call )

9-13-07 Touched

9-14-07 APPROVED

9-19-07 NOA 2

10-22-07 NVC received

10-24-07 NVC left

10-31-07 Consulate received

11-28-07 Medical

12-04-07 Interview

12-06-07 Visa pickup

Your presence during the interview is not going to complicate anything. As a matter of fact, it can show a strong proof of a bona fide relationship. Most of the time, the CO asks the petitioner some questions too. I even met a couple during my interview and it was the petitioner who answered all the questions because the applicant got so nervous and tongue-tied to speak. It's comforting for the applicant to have the presence of his/her petitioner/fiance(e).

--Mae

N-400 NATURALIZATION

04/04/2011 - Mailed N-400 to AZ Lockbox

04/06/2011 - Received

04/07/2011 - NOA

04/07/2011 - Check cashed

04/14/2011 - Biometrics appointment in the mail

04/21/2011 - Early Biometrics (was scheduled on May 4, 2011)

05/09/2011 - Case Status Notification - In line for interview and testing

05/10/2011 - Case Status Notification - Interview scheduled

05/14/2011 - Interview Appointment Letter in the mail

06/21/2011 - Interview Appointment Date

06/29/2011 - Case Status Notification - Placed in the oath scheduling que

08/16/2011 - Case Status Notification - Oath ceremony scheduled

09/15/2011 - Oath Taking - good riddance!

09/23/2011 - Applied for Passport

10/08/2011 - Passport in the mail

10/17/2011 - Certificate of Naturalization in the mail -- OFFICIALLY DONE!

"Love is a noble act of self-giving, offering trust, faith, and loyalty.

The more you love, the more you lose a part of yourself, yet you don't become less of who you are;

you end up being complete with your loved ones."

Most of the time, the CO asks the petitioner some questions too.

This is why it is so difficult to know exactly what to do. For every account like yours, there is another account that states the CO did not allow the USC into the interview room.

my blog: http://immigrationlawreformblog.blogspot.com/

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag."

-- Charles M. Province

I was asked several questions at Jena's prescreening and interview and the CO really liked the pictures I took of my parents the day I left for the Philippines to be at the interview. I also helped Jena understand a couple questions from the CO that confused her. All in all I'm very glad that I attended the interview. All that said, it's possible that you won't be let in. I Hope you get a nice CO!

Kev_n_Jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Your presence during the interview is not going to complicate anything. As a matter of fact, it can show a strong proof of a bona fide relationship. Most of the time, the CO asks the petitioner some questions too. I even met a couple during my interview and it was the petitioner who answered all the questions because the applicant got so nervous and tongue-tied to speak. It's comforting for the applicant to have the presence of his/her petitioner/fiance(e).

--Mae

Is the petitioner Obligated to answer the question the CO Ask?

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Timeline

I disagree. If the CO knows you are there it is good evidence of an ongoing genuine relationship.

--Mae

Probably not by law, but I'm just guessing. If you go to the interview, maybe you could refuse to answer any questions and report back on your results.

Kev_n_Jena

Kev n Jena

thumb_Kyle_John_1_email.jpgthumb_Img_2057_web.jpgthumb_Pictures_429.jpg

hypocrit - a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

Pet Peeve for 2011 - supercilious, contemptuous, arrogant, attitudes.

Timeline

It doesn't complicate anything. I had a lawyer help me with the initial petition and she recommended I go. It's a big plus if you go, and you are demonstrating your commitment to yor fiancee. A lot of the women there are nervous and make mistakes.

I don't see any downside to going, except the cost, and of course if there is a delay in the VISA approval it might mess up your travel plans.

--Mae

Only if you want the VISA approved. :lol:

Probably not by law, but I'm just guessing. If you go to the interview, maybe you could refuse to answer any questions and report back on your results.

Kev_n_Jena

Its a question.. I don't need a suggestion to do it...

I am just saying... The whole interview is for her.. Alot of posters are saying alot the of the questions are more towards the petitioner if he's available..

IR-1 Visa for Wife

NVC Case Complete = January 2, 2008

Received Packet 4 here in the US (Interview Packet) = January 18, 2008

Case Left NVC Forwarded to USEM Manila = January 23, 2008

SLEC Medical = Jan 31 and Feb 1, 2008 (2 days)

USEM Manila Interview = February 20, 2008 @ 8:30am = DONE! (Status: 2 Months wait is over APPROVED)

CFO Guidance & Counseling = April 17, 2008

Visa in Hand = April 18, 2008 (Our Wedding Anniversary)

Arrival in the US and POE = April 23, 2008 JFK Intl. Airport New York City

Social Security Card = May 2, 2008

Green Card in Hand = August 18,2008

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.