NYN

Immigrants hit hard by U.S. slowdown and subprime crisis

34 posts in this topic

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the idea, RJ, and when Darren comes over, we may look into it. I have been burned by a disreputable mortgage company (still in litigation over it) and, until that is resolved, I am not interested in owning.

Yikes. That's scary. Can you give us the name of the mortgage company or an idea of what happened? Things are so much different here than what I am used to, and that makes me uneasy.

The company had several names, but is out of business now...all of their assets are tied up in the same lawsuit (class action).

Just be careful if your mortgage is sold to another company. I had a fixed 30-year mortgage with payments (mortgage and escrow for insurance and taxes included) of $750 a month (in 2001). The original company (OC) sold it to a shell company which was owned by the OC. They didn't send me any correspondence to the change of status. This all happened right before the time of year that my insurance and taxes were due. They failed to pay my insurance, and since I "didn't have insurance" they "force-placed" insurance on me that was 5 times the cost my original insurance. The escrow was raided to pay the insurance; therefore, I had no money to pay my property taxes and still had money due for the balance of the new insurance. The new mortgage payment was about $1400, which at the time was only $250 less than my entire net pay. Since I live in FL, my old insurance carrier couldn't reinsure me since they were taking no new homeowner's policies. During this debacle, the mortgage was sold two more times to more shell companies of the OC.

Here's the kicker: the usurious insurance company was also owned by the same motgage company!

When the company tried to foreclose on me, I finally gave up trying to fight it and sold my house. I made a nice profit from it, but it has left a bitter taste in my mouth to buy another home....at least for the time being.

It's next to impossible in today's world to obtain a mortgage that won't be sold. It's just the way that particular business operates these days. I have had mortgages that were sold; one was sold three times during the several years I had the loan.

There had to be something else 'unscrupulous' going on with this lender's procedures, or else they would still be in business and there would not be a class-action lawsuit.

It probably sounds like I'm defending the lender - I sure as heck am not. I've been in the lending/legal business for nearly 25 years and my boss is on the ethics committee for the WV State Bar.

The biggest issue was selling the mortgages multiple times (mine was 3 times in the space of 4 months) and not informing us until they almost doubled our mortgage payments...the issue was not informing us of the sale.

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Filed: Other Timeline
Thanks for the idea, RJ, and when Darren comes over, we may look into it. I have been burned by a disreputable mortgage company (still in litigation over it) and, until that is resolved, I am not interested in owning.

Yikes. That's scary. Can you give us the name of the mortgage company or an idea of what happened? Things are so much different here than what I am used to, and that makes me uneasy.

The company had several names, but is out of business now...all of their assets are tied up in the same lawsuit (class action).

Just be careful if your mortgage is sold to another company. I had a fixed 30-year mortgage with payments (mortgage and escrow for insurance and taxes included) of $750 a month (in 2001). The original company (OC) sold it to a shell company which was owned by the OC. They didn't send me any correspondence to the change of status. This all happened right before the time of year that my insurance and taxes were due. They failed to pay my insurance, and since I "didn't have insurance" they "force-placed" insurance on me that was 5 times the cost my original insurance. The escrow was raided to pay the insurance; therefore, I had no money to pay my property taxes and still had money due for the balance of the new insurance. The new mortgage payment was about $1400, which at the time was only $250 less than my entire net pay. Since I live in FL, my old insurance carrier couldn't reinsure me since they were taking no new homeowner's policies. During this debacle, the mortgage was sold two more times to more shell companies of the OC.

Here's the kicker: the usurious insurance company was also owned by the same motgage company!

When the company tried to foreclose on me, I finally gave up trying to fight it and sold my house. I made a nice profit from it, but it has left a bitter taste in my mouth to buy another home....at least for the time being.

It's next to impossible in today's world to obtain a mortgage that won't be sold. It's just the way that particular business operates these days. I have had mortgages that were sold; one was sold three times during the several years I had the loan.

There had to be something else 'unscrupulous' going on with this lender's procedures, or else they would still be in business and there would not be a class-action lawsuit.

It probably sounds like I'm defending the lender - I sure as heck am not. I've been in the lending/legal business for nearly 25 years and my boss is on the ethics committee for the WV State Bar.

The biggest issue was selling the mortgages multiple times (mine was 3 times in the space of 4 months) and not informing us until they almost doubled our mortgage payments...the issue was not informing us of the sale.

They are definitely supposed to tell you where to send your new payments. Each time my loan was 'churned' I was usually notified well in advance.

A pool of loans being sold 3 times in the course of 4 months is not the normal course of business. Something else was afoot, and I'd bet my right leg it had something to do with a predatory lender trying desperately to stay afloat.

• 2 weeks later...
It's just one more example of the greed and sleaze that has dominated government and business in the USA for too many years. The Robber Barons and crooks have had a field day with no responsible adult supervision in sight. No wonder the American people are so disgusted.

Peejay, usually I agree with pretty much everything you say :lol: BUT I have to disagree with you this time to a certain extent. Banks are not philanthropists....the onus is on the individual who took the loan. No one needs supervision when they're buying a house. If they want to get into all sorts of dodgy loans, that responsibility is on them....the bank is certainly not holding a gun to anyone's head.

Not until the person loses their job and is unable to make their payments...

I HATE miles, gallons, pints, words spelled without u's, and all that other jazz...

07/21/07 Entered United States on K1 visa

08/18 Married

10/20 Sent AOS package to Chicago; arrived on 10/22

11/21 Biometrics appointment

12/14 EAD card production ordered; AP approved

12/15 AOS transferred to CSC

12/22 AP arrives in mail

12/27 Received EAD in mail

02/15/08 Green Card production ordered

02/25 Received Welcome letter in mail

02/28 Green card arrived in mail. Done with USCIS for now

01/12/10 Sent I-751 to California Service Center; arrived on 1/14/2010

02/09 Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

02/10 Case updated

02/23 Received NOA

03/08 Card production ordered

03/10 ROC approval letter arrives

03/15 Ten year Green card arrives

02/17/12 Mailed citizenship application

forget day Biometrics appointment in Michigan City, Indiana

05/14 Interview and test in Indianapolis, Indiana

05/23 Received oath letter

06/15 Oath ceremony...end of the line.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.