w¡n9Nµ7 §£@¥€r

US GDP growth in Q4 2007 was only 0.6%

11 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

The economy nearly stalled in the fourth quarter with a growth rate of just 0.6 percent, capping its worst year since 2002.

The Commerce Department's report on the gross domestic product, released Wednesday, showed an economy that had deteriorated considerably during the October-to-December quarter ...

The 0.6 percent annualized increase in gross domestic product (GDP) marked a big loss of momentum from the third quarter's brisk, 4.9 percent showing.

Meanwhile, inflation picked up sharply during the final quarter.

A gauge of inflation linked to the GDP report showed that "core" prices -- excluding food and energy -- grew at a rate of 2.7 percent in the fourth quarter. That was up from a 2 percent rate in the prior quarter and was the biggest quarterly increase since the spring of 2006.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080130/economy.html?.v=4

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Is the economy really like the universe, capable of infinit exponential growth? It seems rather an absurd notion to my novice economic eyes.

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Is the economy really like the universe, capable of infinit exponential growth? It seems rather an absurd notion to my novice economic eyes.

I read an interesting article recently on just that. I'll post it here if I can find it.

The economy nearly stalled in the fourth quarter with a growth rate of just 0.6 percent, capping its worst year since 2002.

The Commerce Department's report on the gross domestic product, released Wednesday, showed an economy that had deteriorated considerably during the October-to-December quarter ...

The 0.6 percent annualized increase in gross domestic product (GDP) marked a big loss of momentum from the third quarter's brisk, 4.9 percent showing.

Meanwhile, inflation picked up sharply during the final quarter.

A gauge of inflation linked to the GDP report showed that "core" prices -- excluding food and energy -- grew at a rate of 2.7 percent in the fourth quarter. That was up from a 2 percent rate in the prior quarter and was the biggest quarterly increase since the spring of 2006.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080130/economy.html?.v=4

I am not surprised.

I-130 Timeline with USCIS:

It took 92 days for I-130 to get approved from the filing date

NVC Process of I-130:

It took 78 days to complete the NVC process

Interview Process at The U.S. Embassy

Interview took 223 days from the I-130 filing date. Immigrant Visa was issued right after the interview

Ok I can't find it. The gist was that as economies mature, average growth rates come down. This is also what my econ profs told me in college. However, the article goes takes the narrative further. What happens when the so-called 'developed' economies continue to further develop, is a point ever reached where average growth rates drop to 0? Is there ever a 'steady state'? The article I read basically said yes but no economy on earth is at that stage yet. That stage is reached when you have a stable population and optimal productivity.

Sorry, no URL. I'll post if I run into it again tho.

Thanks, I would be really interested in reading that.

Do economic theories ever take into account that humans don't behave in a rational fashion?

Refusing to use the spellchick!

I have put you on ignore. No really, I have, but you are still ruining my enjoyment of this site. .

Question, isn't a recession where the economy "recedes"? This says we are still growing albeit at a slower rate. I though we were in a recession for quite a while now. :unsure:

Thanks, I would be really interested in reading that.

Do economic theories ever take into account that humans don't behave in a rational fashion?

yes. They are called idiots.

EG http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=107768

Edited by Boo-Yah!

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Question, isn't a recession where the economy "recedes"? This says we are still growing albeit at a slower rate. I though we were in a recession for quite a while now. :unsure:

Classical definition of a recession is two quarters of negative growth.

Q4 2007 came in at 0.6. Unless it is later revised to a value below 0 (it can happen, revisions are common), we were not in a recession in Q4. Just a slowdown.