allousa

Off Topic - VERY hard decision to make

22 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
This is off topic and not MENA related...BUT...all the peeps I know are here in MENA...so here goes....

I am faced with a really tough decision at the moment. I have two large dogs. One is 14 and the other 12. I've had the 14 year old since she was 6 months old and the 12 year old since he was a year old. They have been together everyday for the last 11 years. My 12 year old dog has suffered with joint problems all his life that I've given him meds for. But recently, he's having more and more difficulty just getting up from a sitting/laying position. He cannot even get up if he is on the hardwood floor. I keep throw rugs out for both of them. My 14 year old slips and falls alot if she walks on the hardwood floors because she doesn't have the muscle control anymore. Also, my 14 year old is on the maximum dose of meds to help with her bladder control, and she continues to have accidents.

I know that the time is really drawing near for my 12 year old because I can tell that he is suffering. But I worry how my 14 year old is going to be affected by him not being there. I know that I have borrowed time with her as well, because I've seen her health really decline the last 6 months.

I'm struggling with the fact that since they are both still eating fairly well, I can I put them to sleep when they still are eating. They do sleep all the time and their quality of life is not what it once was. Some of you are saying just take them to the vet...but I KNOW that the vet is going to want to do a battery of tests on both just to tell me that they are old dogs. I know I'm fortunate to have had both live so long to be big dogs. My 14 year old is 65 lbs and my 12 year old is 100lbs.

I'm also struggling on when to do this. I've only got 31 days before we leave to go to Morocco for two weeks. It will be a great comfort to possibly have my husband home to help me through the grief. Especially for my 14 year old, because she's the ONE. You know that dog that is the ONE pet you cherish most for all of your life. I'm struggling on when to do this and if I should let them go together.

I'm so devastated to have to make this decision at one of the happiest moments with Hicham coming home.

I'm posting this to see if any of you have had to face similar situations with your pets. :(

There is one other option if you are having a hard time making a decision. You could board them for 2 weeks until Hicham gets here so you have someone by your side to deal with the difficulties of doing this. If you can get a reasonable boarding rate , you could board them while you are gone and then have your husband with you while you have to do the hardest thing that you have probably faced in a long time. My mom always says, if you do not know exactly what to do , buy time. Its not really in line with what everybody else says but its also another option....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I've never boarded my dogs. I've always gotten a house sitter or they stayed with family. They are really well behaved and sweet dogs, so they have always been welcomed at other people's homes.

Actually my best friend is going to house sit and stay with them while I'm gone if this turns out to be a good option for them.

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

I would only suggest you put down the dogs if they are in extreme pain.

Somehow, I don't think putting your dogs down before you see Hicham is going to be a good thing....

Yes, he'll be there to comfort you...But is that what you want from the visit? Your grieving and him comforting? Seems like you've been through enough already.

How long will you be gone? If only for a few weeks, try to have someone take care of the dogs.

Then when you and Hicham are together here, then decide what is best.

Just my two cents worth...

Should you decide to have them put down, ask your vet if he / she could send out a vet tech and have them pass quietly in the comfort of their own home. I have done this many times and it is far better on them as well as on yourself.

It is a hard decision, but you will know when it is time.

This sounds like a good option to me. I did not know the vet would do house calls for such things. Growing up, when an animal was obviously suffering too much, daddy would take them out to a quiet place in the woods and put them out of their misery.

I lost my little dog yesterday, so I know what you're up against. He had some medical problems in the last few months, but nothing terribly debilitating. However, he was old and it was clear that his time on earth was growing to a close. We knew he was going to get worse and eventually just lay there and suffer. IMO that's no way for a pet to live. They are chosen companions, furry family members, dependent on us for alot of things. I cannot in my heart allow an animal to suffer for an extended period of time just to put off my own grief at the inevitable. Had he not passed on his own, we would have had to put him down as well. Thankfully, Charlie seemed to know it was time. He took a final bathroom break, lay down on the kitchen floor, and died while daddy petted him. Im glad he was at home for his final moments, it makes things a little easier to bear. So Nagi's suggestion would be my choice, if they were my pets.

It sounds like you've got things well in hand and they will be accomodated during your trip, so Id say postpone the sad day until your husband can be with you for support. It might be better to have the month or so to prepare yourself emotionally. And pets arent dumb, they know whats going on. They may want time to say goodbye too. You never know, they may pass on peacefully without the need for a vet.

I can also understand your concern about the bond shared between the pets. It may be best if they go together, for their sake, as well as yours.

Im sorry your having to face this situation. Its never easy to lose a pet or know one is about to go. (F)

Filed: Timeline
I've never boarded my dogs. I've always gotten a house sitter or they stayed with family. They are really well behaved and sweet dogs, so they have always been welcomed at other people's homes.

Actually my best friend is going to house sit and stay with them while I'm gone if this turns out to be a good option for them.

wait for hicham to come home....then deal w it

...I lost my little dog yesterday...,

I'm so sorry Yassmine... (F)(F) I still can't look at pictures of those last days with my 2, or remember those final days themselves without crying.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

You're doing the right thing. I would never, ever board a dog of that age if they have never been boarded before. It's too stressful and the illnesses they can catch from other dogs make it very risky, especially if their immune system is already compromised.

8-30-05 Met David at a restaurant in Germany

3-28-06 David 'officially' proposed

4-26-06 I-129F mailed

9-25-06 Interview: APPROVED!

10-16-06 Flt to US, POE Detroit

11-5-06 Married

7-2-07 Green card received

9-12-08 Filed for divorce

12-5-08 Court hearing - divorce final

A great marriage is not when the "perfect couple" comes together.

It is when an imperfect couple learns to enjoy their differences.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.