tarralyn

Joint-sponsor help!

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone! Can someone answer me what my parents will have to fill out so that my husband can come to the US (we won't have jobs because we're still working full-time in the UK). Since my parents would be sponsoring my husband, do they have to disclose their wealth in figures on the form or is it something the govt looks into? Pretty much my family has a problem telling how much they have and it's worrying me a lot because we dont have the $50K saved/in assets.

Many thanks!

Tarra

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Yes, they are going to have to disclose the amount of income for the past three years on the form I-864 as well as provide copies of tax returns or transcripts as proof. If income is sufficient, then they don't need to disclose assets or investments; if it's not, then they need to disclose this too until there is enough to meet the poverty guidelines.

Edited by Gwen666

Timeline

thanks for this! very helpful!

so how much does a person need to make to be a joint-sponsor? my family doesn't want to show any money, but i have friends who make in the $40K-50K -- is that OK??

It's very frustrating because my husband and I are very employable!

again, thanks :-)

So as long

Yes, they are going to have to disclose the amount of income for the past three years on the form I-864 as well as provide copies of tax returns or transcripts as proof. If income is sufficient, then they don't need to disclose assets or investments; if it's not, then they need to disclose this too until there is enough to meet the poverty guidelines.

Timeline

hahaha yes I think the problem is letting us know how much they have.

oh families...so stressful

You might try gently reminding them that this is the same governement they mail their tax returns to each year - so it's not like 'they' couldn't see the 'money' anyway.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The amount depends on how many dependants the person has. In order to be the co-sponsor, they must make 125% of the poverty guidelines for their household size plus the immigrant...so if the friend has a wife and child, they have a household size of three plus your husband.

According to the guidelines:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html

They would then have to make at least $25,813 to be eligible to be a co-sponsor.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi Tarra,

A joint sponsor will need to fill out an I-864. They must include a copy of their last year tax return and copies of various W-2 and 1099's that would have been filed with the tax return. Or they can get a transcript of the last tax return from the IRS.

As for number of "household"on the I-864 form...If your parents claimed 2 people on their tax return and never claimed you as a dependent, then they should list 3 as household size on the Affidavit of Support (Your parents 2 + the immigrant 1). This number helps determine if they can meet the 2007 Poverty guidelines for sponsoring. Remember they must meet the 125% mark of the 2007 poverty guidelines.

It is optional for them to list assets like bank accounts, real estate, IRA's, investments on the I-864. But it would be wise for them to do so if they can not meet the required poverty guidelines.

Lastly, even though you do not have a job yet, you will still need to fill out an Affidavit of Support. Because you are the petitioner.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.