trippin1111

College Education/Goverment Funding?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello, Im new to the forums, My wife petitioned for me 2 years ago we are finally married and are just about to file my adjustment.

Ive tried looking around on websites but i cant seem to find anything that applies to me regarding higher education to get a better paying job, im 26 so im pretty sure that closes a lot of doors.

But if anyone knows of any information that can help me, I would appreciate it

Thankyou :)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline
Hello, Im new to the forums, My wife petitioned for me 2 years ago we are finally married and are just about to file my adjustment.

Ive tried looking around on websites but i cant seem to find anything that applies to me regarding higher education to get a better paying job, im 26 so im pretty sure that closes a lot of doors.

I hope someone can answer your question, but on a lighter note then you might have moved to the wrong country if you believe the US invests in education and health of the citizens. This country would much rather spend that money on guns, bombs and useless wars that are counterproductive to national security.

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

Unless you can get a private grant, I would say you are pretty much out of luck. You would be entitled to the standard stafford loan, but the rest is up to you my friend. Always nice to work for a company that has tution reimbursement.

Edited by Converse34

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

You can get government aid once you are a permanent resident. You aren't yet, so you'll have to wait.

As far as being "out of luck" I don't agree. People find ways to make it work everyday, and being married entitles you to more money. No, the US government doesn't put a focus on education, something that irritates me everyday, but if you're willing to make sacrifices, it's possible.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

As far as being "out of luck" I don't agree. People find ways to make it work everyday, and being married entitles you to more money. No, the US government doesn't put a focus on education, something that irritates me everyday, but if you're willing to make sacrifices, it's possible.

I didn't mean that it wasn't possible. Many people do it everyday. But the OP seemed to indicate they were looking for a "full ride" which certainly will not happen. Even those with full academic scholarships still need access to loans/grants for living expenses.

Lifting Conditions

01/19/2010 - Mailed I-751 Packet

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

I didn't mean that it wasn't possible. Many people do it everyday. But the OP seemed to indicate they were looking for a "full ride" which certainly will not happen. Even those with full academic scholarships still need access to loans/grants for living expenses.

Oh! I didn't read the OP that way.

Yeah, I'm trying to go back to school, hopefully next year, and my husband has a job that will not support the two of us (I think he makes about 23-24K a year, which is okay for no degree but not that great at all), and I'll wind up working at least 30 hours a week, I am sure, and we're planning on living off loans in part (not completely).

I'll double my earning potential, so it's worth it, but very very few people get full rides anymore, and like you said, even those who do need loans and grants.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Actually, people older than 24 are eligible for more financial aid in many states, provided they don't already have a bachelor's degree. Assuming that things haven't changed much since I was in school in the 90s (well, aside from tuition being a lot higher), if you're younger than 24, your parents' income (or one parent if divorced) is considered with your financial aid application regardless of whether you're claimed as a dependent. I think that might be waived if you're married. But anyway, being 26 should be an advantage, if anything.

I don't know what your educational background is, but if you're starting from scratch, I suggest taking transferable courses at a community college, which is significantly cheaper. Many classes are taught by people with PhDs, and classes tend to be smaller than at a large university. Community colleges often have a shorter residency requirement compared with state universities (for example, you might have to be a resident of the county or city for six months rather than a resident of the state for 12). Also, as discussed in another thread, many states will give you in-state or in-county tuition before you get your green card. You're subject to the same residency requirements as a USC or LPR.

You could attend classes part time and work full time. Obviously, this will take longer, but it will keep you from being buried in loan debt when you graduate. You also may want to consider getting a job at the school itself. Many schools offer significant tuition discounts or waivers if you're an employee or spouse of an employee of the university, and it doesn't matter what the job is, as long as it's benefits eligible.

Some grants require U.S. citizenship, but there are many financial aid options for noncitizens.

In short, there are many options! Good luck!

K-1

March 7, 2005: I-129F NOA1

September 20, 2005: K-1 Interview in London. Visa received shortly thereafter.

AOS

December 30, 2005: I-485 received by USCIS

May 5, 2006: Interview at Phoenix district office. Approval pending FBI background check clearance. AOS finally approved almost two years later: February 14, 2008.

Received 10-year green card February 28, 2008

Your Humble Advice Columnist, Joyce

Come check out the most happenin' thread on VJ: Dear Joyce

Click here to see me visiting with my homebodies.

[The grooviest signature you've ever seen is under construction!]

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.