blackfish2614

marriage between Student Visa holder and US Citizen

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I have couple of questions as of now, I am hoping to get some help from you experienced people.

I am US citizen and my husband is on F1 visa (student visa-current). We got married last month and planning to file for his adjustment of status ASAP.

I understnad I need to fill out I-864, here is the question, because I got married and I moved, I am out of job right now. Can I fill out I-864 form with "0" current income? Is that going to be a problem? I can provide tax return from last three years and enough bank balance as assets to meet the requirement but just because I am not currently working, is that going to creat problem to get approval for his adjustment of status file?

Also, I see that in most of the applications, they ask for A #, my question is that F1 (student visa) holder get one of those A #? Do they have one? I haven't seen any A # on his I-94 or I-20.

If yes, please advice where can I see one for him.

Thank you in advance.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi,

I have couple of questions as of now, I am hoping to get some help from you experienced people.

I am US citizen and my husband is on F1 visa (student visa-current). We got married last month and planning to file for his adjustment of status ASAP.

I understnad I need to fill out I-864, here is the question, because I got married and I moved, I am out of job right now. Can I fill out I-864 form with "0" current income? Is that going to be a problem? I can provide tax return from last three years and enough bank balance as assets to meet the requirement but just because I am not currently working, is that going to creat problem to get approval for his adjustment of status file?

Also, I see that in most of the applications, they ask for A #, my question is that F1 (student visa) holder get one of those A #? Do they have one? I haven't seen any A # on his I-94 or I-20.

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you fill out the I-864 accurately but unless you have a minimum of three times the required income in liquid assets, you'll need a joint sponsor's I-864 to go along with your own.

Yes, your husband has an A number. It should be on his visa.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

Thank you in advance.

Yes, you fill out the I-864 accurately but unless you have a minimum of three times the required income in liquid assets, you'll need a joint sponsor's I-864 to go along with your own.

Yes, your husband has an A number. It should be on his visa.

Hello,

Thank you for quick reply. Quick question about his A#. How many degits are supposed to be along with A#? My US citizenship certificate has total of 10 along with alphabet A but like you said it should be available on his Visa, i checked and the only number with alphabet "A" I see is with 7 degits. I am confused. :(

?

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm a student visa holder also. I've been told that I have A#, but I could not find any "A" letter at all. Therefore, If sombody know how to find it, please let me know also.

Timeline

12/20/07 : Graduated

01/18/08 : Civil Marriage

02/04/08 : filling out the forms

02/05/08 : AOS form arrived at USCIS

02/13/08 : Check cashed

02/15/08 : Received NOA

02/16/08 : Biometric Appointment notice

03/01/28 : Biometric Appointment

03/20/08 : Interview Appointment notice

04/03/08 : AP & EAD Card production ordered

04/10/08 : EAD Mailed

05/02/08 : Interview Appointment ( waiting for card arrival)

.png

This is for the K-1, but I would think it would be ok for AOS as well... My husband was on a student visa when we met, then he went back to the UK and we filed for K1. I couldn't for the life of me find his A# so I left it blank. From my understanding it is to help them look him up in the system. They will still check for his A# and if he doesn't have one, assign him one.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
I think you should use N/A if you've never been assigned an A#

I was on an F1 visa, when I applied and I did not have an A# so I'll say you leave it blank.

My wife is here on a F1 and we just submitted her AOS papework. She did not have an A# for the application. It looks like she was assigned one (or there was one we had no way to know of) because her NOA has it listed. Submitting the AOS application without an A# was ok in our situation.

10/12/2007 - Married!

01/19/2008 - AOS Mailed (She is currently a F1 student)

01/21/2008 - Package delivered by USPS

01/21/2008 - USCIS reciept date

01/24/2008 - NoA Date

01/25/2008 - First check clears

01/28/2008 - Second check clears

01/28/2008 - 3x NoA received

02/06/2008 - Biometrics appointment notification

02/13/2008 - Biometrics appointment

02/15/2008 - Interview appointment notification

03/13/2008 - EAD card production ordered

03/24/2008 - EAD arrives

04/17/2008 - Interview appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.