Acecard

Affidavit of Support

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everybody. I recently became a member and I am needing some help from you guys. I've been reading a lot of threads and I found the ones here in VJ very helpful. :thumbs:

I have received my packet and am scheduled for interview on Feb 7, 2008. I have all the required documents already except the Affidavit of Support from my fiancee. He quit his job last November because he is getting too much stressed out(Studying full time and working full time as well).

He did not have the chance to get a job last December since he had too much school that time and he also visited me here in Manila. So at this point he is still looking for a new job. On the I-134 form, it is asking for a current employment status and all that...since he is unemployed, shall we live it blank?

Because of his unemployment, we are thinking of postponing the interview for two months so by that time he might have a regular job already. But if possible, we would like to be together soon so this option is not so agreeable to us.

He does have sufficient money in his savings that can be considered above poverty line(more than $20,000). We thought that it would be enough to show that he can support me even if he does not have job yet but then again we are not sure.

We have thought of another option and that is to have his step-dad as a co-sponsor since for the first few months of my stay in the US , we would be living on his step dad's house. But reading through different posts, there are lot of people who were advised against it. They are saying that the US embassy here in Manila, requires the petitioner to be the sole sponsor and he/she should be able to establish that he/she can support his/her fiancee.

So at this point, we are really torn. We would like to go ahead and try the co-sponsorship thing but we fear that my visa will get denied. The second option would be to postpone interview date and we are not even sure if we can do this or not.

If there are people there who knows about these things, please help me. I would be forever grateful.

~Divine~

Manila,Phils.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hope this helps, I have a similar issue as I do not make even half of the poverty level for a family of 3, so I am going on my bank account funds hoping it will be sufficient. This is what they require for assets:

When assets are used, the assets must equal 5 times the difference between the annual income and the

needed 125% of the poverty level, this is because the affidavit is in effect for 5 years. For instance, if you

needed $15,500 income and had an annual income of $13,500, you would need an extra $2,000 of assets for 5

years, or a total of $10,000 in assets in addition to your income. In general, if you are deficient on yearly income

for sponsorship and your assets are somewhat borderline, do not take chances--have a co-sponsor. If you do not

have a job or a steady income from other sources (such as retirement income), you will likely have to get a

co-sponsor for your spouse, even if your assets are adequate. The USCIS looks VERY CLOSELY at current income

and not just the assets.

Hopefully he has enough funds to meet this requirement. Otherwise, I would get a co-sponsor.

Jennifer :)

OUR VISA JOURNEY

12/16/05 My honey and I met online

04/27/06 to 5/14/07 We met for the first time in person

10/16/06 to 1/15/07 He visits for a second time

04/04/07 We get engaged!

05/29/07 K1 Application arrived at CSC

07/21/07 to 9/15/07 He visits for a third time

09/19/07 APPROVAL from CSC

11/16/07 NVC received petition

Petition is put under Administrative Processing

12/28/07 AP DONE! YAY! Off to the Consulate!

01/02/08 Consulate received and packet 3 sent

01/04/08 My honey gets packet 3

01/09/08 Medical Appointment *PASSED*

01/09/08 Packet 3 Returned

01/23/08 8:30 AM INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!!!!

01/23/08 Placed BACK on Administrative Processing (221g)

02/01/08 WE WERE APPROVED!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!

02/06/08 VISA arrives!!!!!!!

04/01/08 My honey arrives in the US!

WEDDING DATE: 04/27/08!

AOS:

05/22/08 Package sent

06/02/08 Got all 3 NOA's

6/21/08 Biometrics

7/12/08 RFE: want 12 months of bank statements

7/16/08 mailed statements

7/22/08 statements received

10/10/08 AP received

10/15/08 Work Permit received

1/24/09 Green Card Received

Timeline
Hope this helps, I have a similar issue as I do not make even half of the poverty level for a family of 3, so I am going on my bank account funds hoping it will be sufficient. This is what they require for assets:

When assets are used, the assets must equal 5 times the difference between the annual income and the

needed 125% of the poverty level, this is because the affidavit is in effect for 5 years. For instance, if you

needed $15,500 income and had an annual income of $13,500, you would need an extra $2,000 of assets for 5

years, or a total of $10,000 in assets in addition to your income. In general, if you are deficient on yearly income

for sponsorship and your assets are somewhat borderline, do not take chances--have a co-sponsor. If you do not

have a job or a steady income from other sources (such as retirement income), you will likely have to get a

co-sponsor for your spouse, even if your assets are adequate. The USCIS looks VERY CLOSELY at current income

and not just the assets.

Hopefully he has enough funds to meet this requirement. Otherwise, I would get a co-sponsor.

Jennifer :)

Thank you so much for the very fast reply Jennifer. =)

He had earned a lot on 2007 and his income then was way above the poverty line. Since his studies is through his GI bill, he was practically able to save some money. Our only problem is that he is not currently employed. He is expecting to have a job by the end of January which is like a week before my interview. I fear that the interviewer would deem that as negative.

Thanks again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Savings needs to be 3 times income assuming that he will support you for 3 years and then you naturalize. So if income is Zero the assets need to be $51336 for self and sponsored immigrant, in the 48 states, and more for Alaska and Hawaii.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

One thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

In our case this what the I-134 included.

• I-134 signed and notarized.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.
My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Also it is a toss up if Manila will accept a co-sponsor for K-Visas.

SEE also about Manila: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...=104955&hl=

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
Savings needs to be 3 times income assuming that he will support you for 3 years and then you naturalize. So if income is Zero the assets need to be $51336 for self and sponsored immigrant, in the 48 states, and more for Alaska and Hawaii.

One thing about I-134, the directions included with I-134 are very old, USCIS has no reason to update them since USCIS has no application for that form.

The consulates tend to treat the I-134 like a mini-I-864 as so prefer the same financial evidence as the I-864.

• SIMPLE Tax transcripts from the IRS for past 3 years, (Redundant for the (1040,W2,1099) but are free from the IRS http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq1-6.html

• Photo copy of IRS form 1040, and W2s for past 3 years (Not necessary if you provide the transcripts)

• Letter from my employer stating annual salary, job responsibility, and that is full time, on company letterhead.

• Photo copies of past month or so of pay stubs up to a few weeks before the interview.
My income was well above the povertyline so I did not include any asset data (LIKE BANK STATEMENTS or property values).

If your income exceeds 125% of the povertyline when counting yourself, prospective immigrant and any dependents, then don't bother with assets (401K, Bank balance, Stocks etc..), it is just extra un-needed data to provide, the consular officer is most concerned with INCOME.

Timeline

if your fiance have enough fund to show that he can support you I suggest not to reschedule your interview...I was also in your same situation before my interview my fiance doesn't have a job but he earned well last year... we came to the point that I called USEM and trying to rescheduled my interview but then when I talked to the lady I suddenly changed my mind and not to postponed my interview and I was so right...I'm approved!Good LUck

118283530184.gifJessel Chris11837926282d.gif

11-20-2004 ♥ when we are falling in love

03-03-2007 ♥ he visit me in Cebu

03-05-2007 ♥ he visit my family

03-06-2007 ♥ we're officially engaged

--------------♥ so many things happened / unforgettable date

03-11-2007 ♥ temporary departure

03-14-2007 ♥ finally, he went home to Florida...very sad day...

04-06-2007 ♥ I29F sent to CSC

04-12-2007 ♥ CSC received I29f

04-13-2007 ♥ NOA1 received through mail

08-07-2007 ♥ status online RFE

08-11-2007 ♥ got RFE letter

08-13-2007 ♥ calling CSC about RFE

08-13-2007 ♥ APPROVED!!!

08-18-2007 ♥NOA2 hard copy

10-29-2007 ♥MEDICAL @ SLEC

11-07-2007 ♥INTERVIEW DAY!!!APPROVED!!!

12-14-2007 ♥Soon to be with my GG!!!

Timeline

Hi thanks so much for the input. Since it seems like "co-sponsorship" is not s ure shot option for USEM, would you recommend just postponing interview for like two months or so? We were thinking if my fiancee gets a work by the end of January, we would still have some time to establish him as the sole sponsor. Me and fiancee are really debating on this issue. Thanks.

Timeline
if your fiance have enough fund to show that he can support you I suggest not to reschedule your interview...I was also in your same situation before my interview my fiance doesn't have a job but he earned well last year... we came to the point that I called USEM and trying to rescheduled my interview but then when I talked to the lady I suddenly changed my mind and not to postponed my interview and I was so right...I'm approved!Good LUck

Thank you for the reply. My fiancee also earned well last year but I am not really sure how well is well. As what YuAndDan said on the reply, my fiancee needs to show that he has around $53,000 in assets and at this point, I do not think he has that. He was renting in Nevada before but when he quit his job, he went back living with his mom in CA to save money. He has like $20,000 on savings and no properties yet.

He is getting some money from Veterans Affairs since he served 4 years in the USMC but he is using it for his studies so I am not sure if that qualifies for income.

Do you still think I should go ahead? Thanks so much...all you guys have been so helpful.

Timeline

YuAndDan is right! Base in our case my fiance earned last year which i think above poverty level and he doesn't have so much money in the bank that will support me. I still took the risk but it went fine...

Its all up to you if you will go or not....What I did before, was I asked some friend if i should go or not because of our unstable situation for evidence of support but they all answered YES GO! so I go and took the risk...

118283530184.gifJessel Chris11837926282d.gif

11-20-2004 ♥ when we are falling in love

03-03-2007 ♥ he visit me in Cebu

03-05-2007 ♥ he visit my family

03-06-2007 ♥ we're officially engaged

--------------♥ so many things happened / unforgettable date

03-11-2007 ♥ temporary departure

03-14-2007 ♥ finally, he went home to Florida...very sad day...

04-06-2007 ♥ I29F sent to CSC

04-12-2007 ♥ CSC received I29f

04-13-2007 ♥ NOA1 received through mail

08-07-2007 ♥ status online RFE

08-11-2007 ♥ got RFE letter

08-13-2007 ♥ calling CSC about RFE

08-13-2007 ♥ APPROVED!!!

08-18-2007 ♥NOA2 hard copy

10-29-2007 ♥MEDICAL @ SLEC

11-07-2007 ♥INTERVIEW DAY!!!APPROVED!!!

12-14-2007 ♥Soon to be with my GG!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.