truffles

CV, Resume help

8 posts in this topic

Just wondered if anyone has any advice regarding CV, Resume advice...i have done a couple of searched online and the advice is often conflicting....it seems odd that the resumes here seem to differ greatly from the ones i used back in UK.

Any helpful tips advice or experiences?

Filed: Country: Singapore
Timeline

I was told soon after I moved here to keep my resume to 1 page and to-the-point. I also listed only job history that was directly relevant to the job type I was looking for.

You're quite right about resumes being very different. In Singapore, we pretty much follow the ways of the British (generally speaking), so what is called a resume here is known as a CV there. And more details were appreciated over there.

I think it took me 3 days to change my resume totally. :lol:

Just wondered if anyone has any advice regarding CV, Resume advice...i have done a couple of searched online and the advice is often conflicting....it seems odd that the resumes here seem to differ greatly from the ones i used back in UK.

Any helpful tips advice or experiences?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I used a resume template from microsoft, they have lots to choose from. The link is below. The only other piece of advise I would give you is I notice you are from the UK, I would make sure you put that on your resume, somewhere near the start in the summary. As the Americans love the British it will give you a little bit more of an advantage. I just put that I had moved here recently from the UK to marry and it seemed to do the trick.

Tony

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...1043371033.aspx

Karen ( USA ) and Tony ( UK ) now both residing in USA!!

2/28/05- I-129F sent to TSC

7/29/05- Interview date- Approved!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10/06/05-Tony comes home to Tennessee!!!

10/08/05-WE'RE MARRIED!!! I love this man!

AOS/EAD/AP

11/26/05-filed for emergency AP

11/29/05-filed for AOS/EAD

03/07/06-online EAD approval

03/10/06-received EAD in post and passed driving test (Wow what a day)

07/26/06-AOS Interview---APPROVED!!!!!!

07/31/06-received 'Welcome to America' Letter

08/07/06-received Green card in post wooooooooohoooooooo

03/30/09-received approval to remove conditions!

Thanks for your reply really appreciate it ....i have due,to circumstances a very varied work experience, and wonder if i should just stick to past 10 years - or cover all of my work experience which will cover 2 pages ?....i have decided i will need to modify my resume from time to time to appeal to the prospective employer.......but as i am 44 years old i am going to be relying on work experience rather than education qualifications ( basic UK education - o levels if anyone remembers them ! lol)

I also realise using certain terminology would be best avoided - hubby advised that rather than say stock and cash reconciliation i should perhaps use inventory.

Filed: Timeline

Truffles - mine is 2 pages, it's no biggie. Employers in the US do not like blank spots, so I wrote, 'took time off from work to pursue college full-time', etc.

Don't forget to write in your cover letter that you are authorized to work in the US - everyone asked my hubby that even though he wrote it in his cover letter.

Take off the age/marital status that you Brits like to write on your CVs as well.

About jobs i will say you something What happend to me i am an IT Proff with a good experience i started to look for job for 3 month but it didnt get any job than i got my resume rewritten by a consultant

www.resumewriter.com YES had to pay them but am happy with the grace of god landed up with a fabulous offer . so my experience say if you have even 10 years of exp resume should be of 1 or 2 page not more . Don't put any personal information in there like date of birth etc ...

hay i ve my aos interview on 30th hope every thing goes well

cheers :thumbs:

Savin

Hello god blesss all the VJ members ,

Thank for all the post u vj member are really gr8....

K-1 Visa

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : United Arab Emirates

I-129F Sent : 2007-03-02

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-03-07

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-05-23

NVC Received : 2007-06-11

NVC Left :

Consulate Received : 2007-06-21

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : 2007-09-04

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I recently started a new job that I found on Dice.com. Before that I asked a technical recruiter to go over my resume before submitting it to different places and he said that as long as it covers the last 10 years of employment it doesn't matter how many pages you use. Mine ended up being 2½ pages. The important key to remember is to keep it simple, to the point and list as many responsibilities and qualities that will make you stand out.

Once I submitted my resume in Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice and many others I got a ton of calls.

Good luck!

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.