Southern_Canadian

And So The Process Begins!

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey everyone!!

I just got back from a wonderful vacation in Georgia to see my Fiance. Everyday while I was there, I'd check the mail to see if we got our NOA-1 yet and on Jan 4th, we received it! I was honestly jumping up and down for a few minutes. Was a really good feeling to know that they received the paperwork and that the process has now begin.

If you have read my first post.. then you will know that I ran into a few issues at the border when I was trying to go visit Eric for 3 months in July. Dumb me, I didn't bring enough proof to show that that I did plan on coming back to Canada after the 3 months were up. I had to return home and get more evidence.. such as a letter from my work, bank records, a lease agreement, etc. I was able to fly to The U.S. the next day but the incident will always be on my record. When I was flying to see Eric on Dec. 25th, I had to show customs a lot of evidence that I did intend to return to Canada.

I've read a few posts where people are considering "visiting" their fiance while the Visa is being approved. I just want to let them know that they need to be veryyyyyyy careful with that. If they don not have enough supporting evidence to show ties to Canada, they will be turned around and might be banned for up to ten years. They take everything seriously. So, make sure you are prepared to answer a lot of questions.

Anyways, Just wanted to give those who were consider that.. a BIG heads up!

Just a quick question... I'm not tooo worried but maybe I should be?!?!?! ... When completing the K1 Visa, we put Nov.26th. Now, USCIS received our stuff on Dec. 26th but our NOA-1 date is Dec.28th. I read somewhere that the passport style photo must be taken within 30 days. Will that cause a problem!?!?

Hope everyone is having a great day!!!:D

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I had the same problem the first time, had to get enough proof of ties and was let through the second and subsequent times. They usually do not ban you the first time but then again it depends on the mood the CBP officer might be in. However if you do not have proof and you attempt to cross over a second time there could be a good chance you could receive a ban also.

AOS

Filled : 2007-09-17

NOA : 2007-09-25

Biometrics : 2007-12-13

EAD card prod : 2007-12-13

Job Offer : 2007-12-18

EAD card prod : 2007-12-18

EAD approved mailed : 2007-12-21

EAD in Hand : 2007-12-24 (Awesome Christmas Present)

Applied for SSN : 2007-12-26

SSN arrives in mail : 2008-01-05 (Happy New Year)

Start work :2008-01-15

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline

Welcome to VJ! My husband and I live in Georgia too. He's from Nova Scotia and we did the K1. Best wishes to you and your fiancé on this journey. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Good advice. I was a K-1 from Southwestern Ontario and I know that I always traveled with a pile of evidence to show my ties back to Canada. I drove across the border at Windsor to fly out of Detroit and was pulled into secondary twice but each time they let me through after reviewing the evidence. Of course, my visits weren't for 3 months just for 4 or 5 days:-). I just had to plan to leave enough time to allow for border hassles when trying to arrange for flight schedules. I spent a lot of hours waiting in the Detroit Airport:-).

You shouldn't have a problem with the passport photo - it will be a lot longer wait before they get to evaluate things and the difference of a day or two over 30 days on the receipt will really not be an issue! Good luck on your journey.

Where are you moving to in Georgia? There are a number of Canadians here:-).

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Hey Sweetheart!!! :)

Good to see you posting ;)

I'm glad the visit with your honey was great, I know it's hard being home but as I told you on MSN, you'll be together before you know it!!!

I think you'll be okay with your petition as is.

Hugs to you my friend

~Laura

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline

Thanks everyone... it's really good to know that the process has begun.

Liz Legend 'n Ol .... Were you talking to me about putting me on the list?? And if so... what list? LOL

Kathryn41 ... I'll be living about 30 minutes outside of Atlanta. You?

Laura ... Thanks for all of your help!!! I'm glad that you are only a message away on msn!! LOL

Thank God for this site... or I'd be lost!!!

Timeline

Liz Legend 'n Ol .... Were you talking to me about putting me on the list?? And if so... what list? LOL

Laura ... Thanks for all of your help!!! I'm glad that you are only a message away on msn!! LOL

30 minutes outside of Atlanta? Which direction? We live 25 miles south of Atlanta in Stockbridge.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Timeline

30 minutes outside of Atlanta? Which direction? We live 25 miles south of Atlanta in Stockbridge.

That really rings a bell!!!! I'll be in Newnan!!

Timeline

The stern warning is a good one, I agree. It's best to PLAY IT SAFE these days. Good advice. :)

Current Status
July, 2011 - US Citizen

Timeline

Newnan! Wonderful! We should arrange a get together when you arrive with some of the Georgia Canadians - we will have Mary over in Conyers, you in Newnan and me here in Stockbridge. Joel and Karen are north of the City - and I think we have some others actually in Atlanta - or considering moving to Atlanta. Small world.

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Newnan! Wonderful! We should arrange a get together when you arrive with some of the Georgia Canadians - we will have Mary over in Conyers, you in Newnan and me here in Stockbridge. Joel and Karen are north of the City - and I think we have some others actually in Atlanta - or considering moving to Atlanta. Small world.

With this many we could definately have our own VJ get together. I believe there's another one on here...mwinburn is the name...can't remember where they're located but I think it's somewhere around Atlanta. Anyone else in the area and neighbouring states would certainly be welcome too. :)

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

With this many we could definately have our own VJ get together. I believe there's another one on here...mwinburn is the name...can't remember where they're located but I think it's somewhere around Atlanta. Anyone else in the area and neighbouring states would certainly be welcome too. :)

We should definetly have a get together when I move down.... I'm gonna need some help adjusting to a new place.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.