Rhiannon

Cross Cultural Christmas? (or other holiday?)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone out there had Xmas or other holidays with their loved ones and found new things they handn't ever experienced -=

I went to Limerick, Ireland to be with my husband and his family, and I had my first Flaming Christmas Pudding, Christmas Eve Mass, St Steven's's's Day at the Racetrack, and my personal favorite, the o so lovely Chocolate Kimberley! (it's like a little goumet moonpie) Not to mention becoming addicted to Barry's tea (milk and a little sugar please), and ringing in the new year with Podge and Rodge (well, it was better than Celebrity Jigs and Reels!). It's my husband's turn to get the sweet potato pie and ####### Clark's Rockin New Year's Eve next year!

Anybody else??

Rhi

"Entshuldigung, aber die Welt ist purpur."

Rhiannon (North Carolina, USA) + Michael (Limerick, IE)

Personal Timeline

4/1/06 - Met for the first time in France

7/26/06 - 4/12/07 - Met up in London, Edinburgh, Greensboro, Bristol, Limerick, etc etc etc

9/1/07 - Got married in US

I-130 Timeline

10/2/07 - Mailed off I-130

1/10/08 - Check cashed - yippee!

2/8/08 - NOA1

4/4/08 - NOA2

10/15/08 - AOS documents sent in

1/5/09 - Interview in Dublin

I-129f Timeline

Abandoned

.png

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

well, my hubby's family celebrates Christmas on Christmas Eve.. they make tamales and open presents at midnight....

My hubby's family is Mexican....

our family would open presents on Christmas morning and have Christmas dinner at my dad's parents in the evening and then open more presents after dinner and then on Boxing Day we would go over to my mom's parents for Christmas lunch and then we would open some more presents after that....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline

Um...

Northern Germany:

PIL set up the tree on the afternoon of Dec 24th. That evening, they lit the tree with real candles and I thought that was weird and was waiting for the tree to go up in flames. Presents distributed. Ate something unremarkable for dinner. Tree came down next day. Ate something totally forgettable for Christmas dinner. That was the end of Christmas. I have never had such a meaningless Christmas ever.

Southern Germany:

EFIL set up the tree about three days before Dec 24th. The family we were staying with had 5 children under 12. On the evening of Dec 24, one of the parents distracted the children upstairs while the other set out the presents downstairs. Then a bell was rung and the children ran screaming down the stairs. Presents were opened for the next hour or so and then it was time for all of them to go to bed. I played Dr. Mario after they were asleep. The next day for lunch was the Christmas dinner. Traditional German fare, red cabbage, some salad, Semmelknödel, boiled potatoes, red beets, and goose. That was the first time I had ever ate goose and it was awesome. The 10 year old sat at the table and complained the whole time about having to eat goose because he supposedly loved geese. I just sat there and making bad puns and eating that goose. The 3 year old picked up part of the carcass and started gnawing on it. That was about it. Only bad part about that Christmas was that there was 9 people in a house with only one bathroom and I was 30? weeks pregnant. :P

Edited by Wacken