Mina76

Just Turkish

1,923 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum because VJ seems like the best support out there for this whole process. I'm a USC and my fiance is from Turkey. We met 2 years ago when we were both exchange students in Spain and we've been best friends ever since. For the past few months I was in Turkey (Kusadasi to be exact) and before I left, he proposed! I couldn't be happier. But unfortunately Efe just began his military service (short term, he'll be out in May). Before I left Turkey I told him that I could handle most of the visa forms on my own. Little did I know how overwhelming this would be, especially doing it completely on my own (+ the help from VJ). That's it! Has anyone attempted to start visa process while their fiance/husband was in the army? Anyone from the Philadelphia area?

Hi Nicole & Efe -

Welcome! Good luck with all of your forms and the process! We did ours from within Turkey, but getting through all of the forms was a formidable task! I still can't believe that part is done. Glad to hear your fiance will be out of the army soon -- that's a really short stint, so he'll be out before you know it! :)

:star:

and ps tanyakaraman - baby defne is adorable!!!!

Our Timeline

DCF - I-130

4/10/08 - Married in Istanbul!

5/14/08 - Sent I-130 to Ankara via UPS

5/15/08 - Packet arrived in Ankara at US Embassy

6/2/08 - Received email from Embassy, our interview is schedule for 8/11/08

8/11/08 - Interview at US Embassy in Ankara, I-130 APPROVED!!!!!!

8/13/08 - Visa RECEIVED.....

11/7/08 - Flew from Istanbul to Denver (via JFK)

11/21/08 - SSN received in mail

12/18/08 - Green Card received!!!

I-751 (lifting conditions)

8/10/10 - Sent to California Processing Center

8/20/10 - Received AOS letter

8/26/10 - NOA received biometrics appointment notification

9/16/10 - Biometrics Appointment in San Francisco

10/7/10 - Approved!

Citizenship

1/24/12 - Date filed

5/30/12 - Oath Ceremony!!!!

Adios, USCIS!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

I'm so sorry to hear of the delay. It is typical for Iranians to go thru AP. I don't know why immigration does things this way. One would think they would do all the add'l security clearances before the interview/interview date. Anway - hope things go quickly. Chin up, GL and please do KUP!

Thanks. Unfortunately we were put on AP. They were in an APish kind of mood this morning. There were loads of Iranians in line ahead of us and all of them either got AP, an RFE or denied altogether. My mother is crushed. She was hoping we might be able to make it home for the holidays. I hope it won't be a long AP. :(

Filed: Country: Iran
Timeline
I'm so sorry to hear of the delay. It is typical for Iranians to go thru AP. I don't know why immigration does things this way. One would think they would do all the add'l security clearances before the interview/interview date. Anway - hope things go quickly. Chin up, GL and please do KUP!

Thanks. At least the two of us are together even if we will miss the holidays with my family. I'm just on pins and needles hoping it doesn't take too long because now the landlord wants to sell the place we've been renting. So come Jan. 19th we might have to move if they've sold the place. I'm afraid it will delay our process for even longer if we have to submit a change of address. I've heard of some people doing that and then they still send the visa to the old address. :wacko:

Go the nearest "Application support center" (although help me with this guys, can a K1 go in or you have to be in AOS?) and walk in and change your address. I also called 18003755283 and let them know as well. We had changed apartments, but had the same address and our NOA for AOS got sent back, but we got the appointment notice for AOS. This put things at a standstill for a few weeks only and had no problems since! As long as you tell them your address change you will be fine!

Tanya! So nice to see baby Defne! What a wonderful picture! They look like age seperated fraternal twins!!! Figure that one out ha ha

Hamit still is jobless BTW...any ideas anyone? It has been 9 months.

BTW anyone know of any genetic disorders etc in Turkey that would cause infertility? We found out we need IVF! This sucks. :(( I just cannot for the life of me find anything besides mumps in childhood that would predispose a Turkish man to be virtually infertile? My hubby would kill me if he knew I posted this, but I would like to know if it is something we can fix. He will have genetic testing, but this may take a month or so.

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Filed: Country: Turkey
Timeline

Online is fast and easy. We didnt have any problems.

Thanks. At least the two of us are together even if we will miss the holidays with my family. I'm just on pins and needles hoping it doesn't take too long because now the landlord wants to sell the place we've been renting. So come Jan. 19th we might have to move if they've sold the place. I'm afraid it will delay our process for even longer if we have to submit a change of address. I've heard of some people doing that and then they still send the visa to the old address. :wacko:

Timeline

Welcome to visa journey.

Internetkafe can help you with this question. He went back to finish his military duty.

I know the paperwork might seem overwhelming, but it is fairly easy. Take your time and ask lots of questions, we are here to help.

Best wishes,

Debbie

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself to this forum because VJ seems like the best support out there for this whole process. I'm a USC and my fiance is from Turkey. We met 2 years ago when we were both exchange students in Spain and we've been best friends ever since. For the past few months I was in Turkey (Kusadasi to be exact) and before I left, he proposed! I couldn't be happier. But unfortunately Efe just began his military service (short term, he'll be out in May). Before I left Turkey I told him that I could handle most of the visa forms on my own. Little did I know how overwhelming this would be, especially doing it completely on my own (+ the help from VJ). That's it! Has anyone attempted to start visa process while their fiance/husband was in the army? Anyone from the Philadelphia area?

Timeline

Erika,

9 months.....gosh thats hard. :bonk: It is an employers market and the market is filled with thousands of qualified applicants. Hope he can find something quick, before he goes insane from boredom. Your hubby an IT guy?

The other issue...sorry you guys are going thru that. I hope they find a solution.

Best wishes,

Debbie

BTW anyone know of any genetic disorders etc in Turkey that would cause infertility? We found out we need IVF! This sucks. :(( I just cannot for the life of me find anything besides mumps in childhood that would predispose a Turkish man to be virtually infertile? My hubby would kill me if he knew I posted this, but I would like to know if it is something we can fix. He will have genetic testing, but this may take a month or so.

Timeline

Breathtaking Jenn…..just Breathtaking

Hugs!

Debbie

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the AP! I am terrified this is going to happen to us.. My friend who works in the Turkish Government has assured me he checked and his name is not red flagged, but his name is the same as several people with Criminal records.. so I am really worried about this. I hope you won't be in AP long.

Wish I could say the trip home was tear-free.. but it wasn't. Today is worse I think. Waking up and knowing he's not here in the house really sucks..

Erika, yes.. my sister had Leukemia (AML) and there were several complications. Do not want to get everyone in a depressed mood, so won't give all the details.. but turns out she had a clot in her brain that was missed when we were getting ready for the bone marrow transplant ( I was her donor). She had really bad headaches, but they kept assuming it was because of the chemo, or the spinal tap or the countless other things that had gone on that week.. she had two strokes a week after the transplant. Lost all mobility on her right side and the vision in her left eye. Lost her speech, for a while, and couldn't remember our names for a long time. I lived in the hospital with her for almost a year. We were able to take her to my mom's house almost a year after the transplant. She had been going through physical therapy, had gotten her speech back and memory was improving, was learning to walk again and we were pretty hopeful.. but then the AML came back. She passed away 54 weeks after her original diagnosis.

We always wonder about the "what if's" if they had caught the clot.. but then she wouldn't have been able to have the transplant, so either way the result would have been the same.. but maybe the quality of life would have been better.

Now that anyone reading this is depressed, I will tell you a story that may put a smile on your face. I truly believe my sister led me to Fuat somehow. When she was living in the hospital, before the strokes, she had a beautiful, green butterfly that hung in her window. One day we were talking about how much she loved butterflies and she told me that if anything ever happened to her she would send me a butterfly and I should watch for it. I told her to stop talking like that and that everything was going to be fine. She just said "Jenn.. watch for it."

I met Fuat 7 months after she passed away. One day, we were talking on the computer and he said "I am sending you a butterfly". I had goosebumps all over and could barely breath and I asked him why he would say something like that. He said he didn't know.. just had this really strong feeling that he had to tell me he was sending me a butterfly.

I had been having some doubts about the whole, crazy getting involved with someone on the other side of the world idea... but took that as a message from my sister that I was doing the right thing.. :)

IT...not any schooling for it...but he is good with computers...but still needs to improve his English...it is very difficult for him..poor guy

389672_3802055654913_1108709116_n.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Welcome and I hope you have a fast and hassle free process:)

OUR TIMELINE

03/05/09- First FB message

06/13/09- First visit to Turkey

09/18/09- Second visit to Turkey

02/25/10- Third visit to Turkey

04/13/10- Sent I-129F Packet:)

04/14/10- Delivered to CSC at 10:23:)

04/15/10- NOA 1

04/16/10- Check Posted to account.

And touched.

04/21/10- NOA 1 Hard Copy

04/22/10- Fourth visit to Turkey

05/12/10- Touched

06/24/10- Touched

06/25/10- Touched

06/25/10- NOA 2 APPROVED!!

06/28/10- NVC Received

07/02/10- NVC sent to Ankara

07/12/10- Packet #3

07/16/10- Sent Packet #3

07/20/10- Packet #4 received

10/13/10- Interview- Approved!

10/19/10- Visa recieved

10/21/10- POE JFK

12/2/10- Married:)

02/24/11- Sent AOS packet

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hey Erika!

Thanks :) As Ozzy says, "Of course she looks like me....not like the milk man" LOL

As for the job issue...maybe check out this association...might be a good place for him to make some contacts? http://www.taaaz.org/default.html

As for the infertility issue...Turkey's proximity to Chernobyl comes to mind, but I'm not sure if that would have any impact at all. I'm sure it would be a very widespread problem if it did. Mumps is probably a far more likely culprit. Anyways, I hope you two can find a solution...

(L)

Tanya

Go the nearest "Application support center" (although help me with this guys, can a K1 go in or you have to be in AOS?) and walk in and change your address. I also called 18003755283 and let them know as well. We had changed apartments, but had the same address and our NOA for AOS got sent back, but we got the appointment notice for AOS. This put things at a standstill for a few weeks only and had no problems since! As long as you tell them your address change you will be fine!

Tanya! So nice to see baby Defne! What a wonderful picture! They look like age seperated fraternal twins!!! Figure that one out ha ha

Hamit still is jobless BTW...any ideas anyone? It has been 9 months.

ROC Journey:

01/19/2010 - Mailed ROC paperwork to Vermont Service Center

01/21/2010 - ROC package arrived at VSC

01/26/2010 - Check cashed

01/28/2010 - Received NOA, GC extended for 1 year

02/25/2010 - Biometrics taken

04/23/2010 - Conditions lifted! :)

05/01/2010 - Ten-year GC received...on hubby's birthday! Yay!

MeandOzzy.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Turkey
Timeline

yaaaayyyyy !!! I am with my baby now !!! :)

I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious...

05-21-2009 I-129F SENT

05-29-2009 NOA1

06-10-2009 Touched

08-26-2009 NOA2 !!! :)

08-29-2009 NOA2 hard copy received

08-28-2009 NVC received

09-01-2009 NVC left

09-04-2009 Consulate received

09-10-2009 E-mail received from embassy regarding package 3 ( no paper instructions received. only e-mail )

09-24-2009 Package 3 sent

12-01-2009 Interview date !!! :)VISA APPROVED!!!

12-03-2009 Visa in hand !!! :)

12-27-2009 POE ( JFK )! fast and smooth!

01-04-2010 MARRIED :)

01-26-2010 AOS package sent ( usps express mail )

01-27-2010 Received by USCIS

02-03-2010 Check cashed

02-05-2010 NOA1 received (I-485,I-765,I-131)

02-12-2010 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (02-26-2010) DONE!!!

03-08-2010 Received a letter that says my finger prints should be re-taken.(appointment date 03/23/2010)

03-11-2010 Biometrics Re-taken (early walk in)

03-24-2010 EAD Approval Notice. (via e-mail)

03-26-2010 Interview Letter Received! (04-27-2010)

03-27-2010 AP Documents Received (Approval date is 03-23-2010)

04-01-2010 EAD Card Received

04-27-2010 GC APPROVED!!!

05-28-2010 GC RECEIVED!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.