ILoveJoy

CFO Manila: Anyone Have Bad Experience at PRISM?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi Folks,

I have heard some horror stories about Fiancees getting the "third degree" during the CFO Guidance and Counseling session. Mostly, it seems that the worst experiences come from those who attend the ones managed by nuns at the St. Mary Euphrasia Foundation-Center for Overseas Workers (SMEF-COW) in Cebu and Manila. The other Manila alternative for the G&C session is the People's Reform Initiative for Social Mobilization Inc. (PRISM), which is a non-religious organization.

For a variety of reasons (age difference, divorces, etc.), I am concerned that my fiancee may face difficulties because of "counselor" prejudices, so I am speculating that maybe the PRISM session may be easier because it is not conducted by nuns.

Has anyone had any negative experiences at the CFO guidance and counseling session conducted by PRISM? Thanks.

Marc

u]TIMELINE[/u]

Fiancee Visa

May 25 thru June 2, 2007- Marc and Joy meet and spend time in person in Davao, Philippines

June 12, 2007- I-129F mailed to TSC

June 25, 2007- Check cashed

June 25, 2007- NOA1 Receipt date (at CSC)

July 6. 2007- NOA1 hard copy received from CSC

November 6, 2007- NOA2 (Notice date, per website) YES!!!

November 9, 2007- NOA2 Hard copy received

November 29, 2007- Received NVC letter

December 3, 2007- I-129F package received by embassy

Jan. 15-16, 2008 - Early medical at St. Luke's

January 30, 2008- Medical appointment date

February 7, 2008- Embassy interview date

February 11, 2008 - Pick up visa at embassy

February 15, 2008 - Joy and I fly to US together

AOS

March 17, 2008 - Joy and I are married! (YES!!!)

March 18, 2008 - I-485 and I-765 mailed to Chicago

April 2, 2008 - Receipt date for I-485 and I-765

April 24, 2008 - Biometrics appointment

April 24, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California Service Center

May 2, 2008 - Received notice of transfer to CSC

May 18, 2008 - I-485 touched

June 4, 2008 - Received CRIS e-mail: EAD card production ordered

June 9, 2008 - Received 2nd Notice from CRIS: EAD card production ordered

June 11, 2008 - Received 3rd Notice from CRIS: EAD card production ordered

June 14, 2008 - Received EAD card in mail

July 22, 2008 - Received CRIS e-mail: Letter mailed welcoming new permanent resident

July 26, 2008 - Received letter weloming new permanent residence in mail

July 28, 2008 - Green Card received in mail!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi Folks,

I have heard some horror stories about Fiancees getting the "third degree" during the CFO Guidance and Counseling session. Mostly, it seems that the worst experiences come from those who attend the ones managed by nuns at the St. Mary Euphrasia Foundation-Center for Overseas Workers (SMEF-COW) in Cebu and Manila. The other Manila alternative for the G&C session is the People's Reform Initiative for Social Mobilization Inc. (PRISM), which is a non-religious organization.

For a variety of reasons (age difference, divorces, etc.), I am concerned that my fiancee may face difficulties because of "counselor" prejudices, so I am speculating that maybe the PRISM session may be easier because it is not conducted by nuns.

Has anyone had any negative experiences at the CFO guidance and counseling session conducted by PRISM? Thanks.

Marc

My fiancees went up there ahead of her interview. She did not have a copy divorces paper. Also she did not if my ex-wife was remarried, have BF, or what she was doing. In fact I do not even know that. She went thu the seminar but have to go back to put up with more of thier third degree. She almost at the point she does not want anything to do with the CFO. They wanted to see picture of us together, wanted to know my mailing address and also my land line phone number which I do not have, only cell phone. I suggest if you are going over to bring her back over here, you have her wait until you get there so you can go up with her. You can not go into the CFO seminar with her but you can be outside waiting for her for support. You should go back and read some of the other CFO seminar story there is a lot them in here. GOOD LUCK.

OUR Time Line;

Nov 4, 2004 Met on YM Pool Game Chat room

Dec 30, 2005 Surprized her with our 1st meeting in person

Dec 31, 2005/Jan 1, 2006 Got Engaged

Jan 10, 2006 Had my 56th Birthday party in Philippines

Jan 11, 2006 Left the go come back Home

Mar 20, 2006 Found out Sonia was Pregnant

Oct 7, 2006 Our son was born

Nov 5, 2006 Arrived in the Philippine for a visit

Nov 11, 2006 Had our son Basptized

Nov 19, 2006 Left the Philippines again

July 31, 2007 Mailed inI 129 F was mailed in

Aug 13, 2007 Received

Sep 25, 2007 I 797 Notice of Action Mailed out

Feb 25, 2008 NAO2 has been approve sent to Manila.

Mar. 31, 2008 Made phone call about interview set dates

Apr. 15, 2008 Medical Exam St. Luke (GOOD TO GO!!!!!)

Apr. 24, 2008 Interview(APPROVED AND WAITING VISA)

Jun. 6, 2008 Finally got Visa at about VISA[/size]

Aug. 05, 2008 On a jet plane head for the Philippines to get my family

Aug. 06, , 2008 we are together again

AUGUST 19, 2008 POE Seattle, WA.

NOV. 8, 2008 Wedding

Hi Folks,

Marc

My fiancees went up there ahead of her interview. She did not have a copy divorces paper. Also she did not if my ex-wife was remarried, have BF, or what she was doing. In fact I do not even know that. She went thu the seminar but have to go back to put up with more of thier third degree. She almost at the point she does not want anything to do with the CFO. They wanted to see picture of us together, wanted to know my mailing address and also my land line phone number which I do not have, only cell phone. I suggest if you are going over to bring her back over here, you have her wait until you get there so you can go up with her. You can not go into the CFO seminar with her but you can be outside waiting for her for support. You should go back and read some of the other CFO seminar story there is a lot them in here. GOOD LUCK.

I had my CFO seminar and guidance counselling in SMEF - COW in Cubao. I think each of us had different stories., mine was good, people there was very nice and accomodating. I chose to go there because tehy have CFO satellite office there so no need to to the main office for the sticker. When I went there there were only few applicants and we were handled by social workers not nuns and the CFO satff also were nice and friendly. Iam CR 1 i'm alraedy here in San Francisco the fact that my husband is a FIL AM and both of us has no previous marriage I was not asked a lot of question, the social wprker asked only 3 questions during the individual interview like, is your husband a Filipino? How did we meet?, What are my plans in the US? , But the other applicants with me was a faincee visa, her fiancee is american and both of them had previous marriage but i think there was no problem back then because we got our stickers and certificates with smiles in our face. I never encountered a Nun in SMEF, all i know is SMEF is run by the Nuns but its the Social worker who will take care of you. GOOd LUck and hope that everything will be fine. me too before felt the same thing. Just pray to God

hello! B)

I had my CFO GC and Seminar in PRISM. I went there friday, 3:30 pm, and out by 4:15. It was quick. Im fortunate that the lady who gave us the seminar (there's only 3 of us in US room) is the same lady that counseled me. She only asked me how long have I known my husband. I just answered her that I know my husband since higg school, we were batchmates and been together since then. She just smiled and said "tagal nyo na" and made me sign the document.

After 5 mins i got the yellow cert already. :)

Just be true to your answers and be consistent and you'll be fine. Good Luck!

-jyz (F)

My fiancée had hear CFO at PRISM yesterday. she didn't say it was bad, just the amount of paper work she needed. they wanted my divorce decrees, her passport and another ID, pictures of us together, her birth cert. Then she had to fill out a form with my info, so of which was, my address, occupation, mother, father and siblings names, where and when i was born. which fortunately her she has a great memory

June 2006 Met on Myspace
Sep 21 2007 Proposed and she accepted
Dec 9 2007 Arrived in Manila
Dec 15 2007 Returned home, very sad day
Dec 21 2007 Sent Form I-129F to CSC
Dec 24 2007 Packet received at CSC
Dec 31 2007 NOA 1 received
Jan 02 2008 Check cashed
May 05 2008 NOA2
May 12 2008 Received letter from NVC MNL2008xxxxxx
May 19 2008 Paid Delbros fee at Metrobank
May 20 2008 First day of medical
May 21 2008 Told to return for sputum test
May 21 2008 Delbros confirmed receiving payment
May 27 2008 Delbros sent proof of payment to USEM
May 27,28,29 2008 Sputum test done
June 6 2008 Delbros sent doc ver request to the NSO
June 27 2008 NSO doc ver completed, to be picked up by USEM
July 1, 2008 Called USEM, doc ver is at the embassy
July 30, 2008 Passed the sputum test and finished the physical
Aug 5, 2008 Interview, PASSED received PINK SLIP
Aug 12 2008 VISA IN HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you God
Aug 16,2008 Flight to US. Manila to Narita, to Chicago
Sept 8, 2008 Civil wedding
Feb 14, 2009 Big fancy wedding
groupresized.jpg

From what I've read, there does not seem to be much difference in the staff, procedures, or outcome of either of the SMEF-COW in Cebu or PRISM in Manila locations. The Guidance and Counseling Seminar seems to be designed to inform future brides about the "potential" dangers of marrying a foreign national they may not know that well. It seems to be somewhat of a scare tactic to ensure that folks are aware of the potential dangers and to inform them on how to get help, which is not necessarily a bad thing. There is also a brief one on one session with their staff whereas they may as some questions about the relationship, nothing invasive, but on the same lines as the visa interview. On the surface, it can seem intimidating, but if the fiancé(e) is confident and strong about their relationship, it seems to be just another stepping stone to their ultimate goal. Just be aware that this is not designed to be a pleasant experience, but a tad bit uncomfortable one.

Cheers!!!

Sheriff Uling

p.s. My wife attended the Guidance and Counseling Seminar in Manila (PRISM).

[CLICK HERE] - MANILA EMBASSY K1 VISA GUIDE (Review Post #1)

[CLICK HERE] - VJ Acronyms and USCIS Form Definitions (A Handy Reference Tool)

Manila Embassy K1 Visa Information

4.2 National Visa Center (NVC) | (603) 334-0700 press 1, then 5....

4.3 Manila Embassy (Immigrant Visa Unit) | 011-632-301-2000 ext 5184 or dial 0

4.4 Department of State | (202) 663-1225, press 1, press 0,

4.5 Document Verification | CLICK HERE

4.6 Visa Interview Appointments website | CLICK HERE

4.7 St. Lukes | 011-63-2-521-0020

5.1 DELBROS website | CLICK HERE

6.2 CFO Guidance and Counseling Seminar | MANILA or CEBU

6.3 I-94 Arrival / Departure info | CLICK HERE

Adjustment of Status (AOS) Information

Please review the signature and story tab of my wife's profile, [Deputy Uling].

DISCLAIMER: Providing information does not constitute legal consul nor is intended as a substitute for legal representation.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.