Melyssa

Taking children across the border

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Does anyone know what the rules are for taking children across the Canadian/American border (of course with permission from the parents) that aren't your own, or with just one parent?

I'm curious about that for the following:

* My American husband and I taking some of my Canadian siblings who are younger than 18 across the border to visit us (when I'm allowed to travel) without parents or possibly with just one parent

* My American husband and I taking some of our young friends (not related to either of us) across the border to Canada so they can meet some of my siblings who are their age

* One of my parents taking some of my siblings across the border without the other to visit us

* A good friend who is divorced taking her children across the border to visit us (does she need notarized permission from her ex-husband?)

Thanks. I am looking up the info but we greatly appreciate any help!

Edited by Melyssa

March 6, 2007 - I-129F package sent

March 21, 2007 - I-129F NOA2

October 17, 2007 - K1 interview - approved

October 19, 2007 - K1 arrived in mail

October 21, 2007 - US entry

October 23, 2007 - Wedding day

November 27, 2007 - AOS, EAD, AP package sent

December 7, 2007 - Received all 3 NOA's for AOS, AP & EAD

December 10, 2007 - Received letter for biometrics appointment

January 2, 2008 - I-485 transferred to California

January 3, 2008 - Biometrics

January 16, 2008 - RFE for I-485

January 22, 2008 - RFE for I-485 arrived

January 23, 2008 - AP approved

January 25, 2008 - Case status finally updated: AP approved January 23!

January 31, 2008 - EAD card production ordered

February 2, 2008 - AP arrived in mail

February 5, 2008 - Sending a letter/RFE to CSC

February 5, 2008 - EAD card production ordered (again?!)

February 7, 2008 - RFE/letter arrived at CSC

February 7, 2008 - EAD approval sent

February 9, 2008 - EAD card received, dated January 23rd!

February 25, 2008 - CSC finally acknowledges receiving RFE

February 27, 2008 - I-485 APPROVED!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

March 3, 2008 - Received welcome letter

March 3, 2008 - I-485 approval letter sent

March 6, 2008 - Green card arrived in mail.

November 2009 - Removal of conditions...

Filed: Country: Canada
Timeline
Does anyone know what the rules are for taking children across the Canadian/American border (of course with permission from the parents) that aren't your own, or with just one parent?

* My American husband and I taking some of my Canadian siblings who are younger than 18 across the border to visit us (when I'm allowed to travel) without parents or possibly with just one parent

I would assume you need a notarised letter saying the parent of the siblings knows the travel plans and has given permission.

* My American husband and I taking some of our young friends (not related to either of us) across the border to Canada so they can meet some of my siblings who are their age

I would think the advice above would be appropriate in this case too.

* One of my parents taking some of my siblings across the border without the other to visit us

As long as the other parent knows the plans, and there is no custody issue involved, I can't see that it would pose a problem.

* A good friend who is divorced taking her children across the border to visit us (does she need notarized permission from her ex-husband?)

She WILL need notarised permission from the ex husband. I know this for fact as I have done this twice. It has to be notarised.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure someone will come along and offer other advice about the first three scenarios. The fourth one though, I am sure on because I've already done this twice. I provided the ex with a complete itinerary of the flights, times of arrival and departure, airports, phone numbers where we were going to be staying, cell phone number, day we were leaving and day we would be returning, etc.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

I would assume you need a notarised letter saying the parent of the siblings knows the travel plans and has given permission.

As long as the other parent knows the plans, and there is no custody issue involved, I can't see that it would pose a problem.

She WILL need notarised permission from the ex husband. I know this for fact as I have done this twice. It has to be notarised.

Hope this helps some. I'm sure someone will come along and offer other advice about the first three scenarios. The fourth one though, I am sure on because I've already done this twice. I provided the ex with a complete itinerary of the flights, times of arrival and departure, airports, phone numbers where we were going to be staying, cell phone number, day we were leaving and day we would be returning, etc.

Thanks so much!

February 27, 2008 - Online case status: notice mailed welcoming new permanent resident.

Did you have shared custody? I have sole custody and have taken my daughter across a few times without my ex's permission.

April 13, 2009 - Welcome to the USA letter rec'd. PRC to be rec'd within 3 weeks.

April 16, 2009 - 2 yr GC rec'd in mail.

March 2, 2011 - Mailed in I-751 to CSC

March 4, 2011 - I-751 delivered to CSC

March 4, 2011 - NOA issued

March 12, 2011 - NOA received

April 14, 2011 - BIO Appt 5/6/11

May 6, 2011 - BIO done in 10 minutes...no re-takes this time :)

June 27, 2011 - Email rec'd "Status - Approved"

July 1, 2011 - 10 yr GC arrived

Timeline

Yes, I should have added that part and I apologise for not making that clear. Unfortunately I have joint custody (I have primary custody, he has visitation) so I have to have permission.

Teaching is the essential profession...the one that makes ALL other professions possible - David Haselkorn

Timeline

Did you have shared custody? I have sole custody and have taken my daughter across a few times without my ex's permission.

Thanks so much for that info. I believe she has joint custody so I guess she would need the special permission. Did you need to carry proof of sole custody? I guess I'm curious how they would know who had joint custody, who didn't, etc.! Thanks!

Timeline

I was asked at the border where my daughter's father was. Being the honest person that I am, I told them that we are divorced. I had my divorce decree with me...just in case, y'know. She wanted to see it so I showed it to her stating what was instructed in the decree about international travel. Then she asked me where the letter was. I didn't know what letter she was referring to and she informed me (rather brusquely) that I was to have a letter of permission from her father stating he is aware of my plans and has given permission for her to travel out of the country. I was not aware I needed a letter and told her that when I looked on the travel.state.gov website about this kind of travel, nothing was stated about a letter. I gave her my cell phone and offered to let her call my ex to prove that he knew about the travel plans. She believed me at that point and told me that next time I was to have a letter or my daughter would NOT be given entry. *sigh*

I would hazard a guess that if the names of mom and child are different, that would definately initiate a question about custody. At the time my name and my daughter's name was the same, but because I was traveling without her father, that caused the CBP to ask where he was which led to the above scenario.

Not sure about sole custody, but I would also hazard another guess and say that you would have to show some sort of proof. Just a guess mind you... :)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.