snowfrostedlashes

Easier for Brits to adjust?

141 posts in this topic

I find that Jeremy sounds infinitely more American when we are together in person or if he is talking to one of his friends/family members on the phone - when I am talking to him on the phone he just sounds like him but I remember when I first started talking to him that I couldn't tell him and his brother apart :blush:

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Mark does this cute thing where he says some things in a slightly more british way when talking to me sometimes and gets teased by his family and friends because of this - mostly he doesn't realise he's doing it, but I think of it as his special voice for me.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Haha - I tell Jeremy off when he starts using English words and things - he doesn't say "trousers" so why should he start now?!?!!

Of course I know I will end up speaking American when I moev so... :P

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I've also found it's the little things. I'd never have imagined how much I miss chips and gravy! There seems to be more of a sense of urgency here... my wife actually agrees with that too. TV adverts are louder and quicker and don't give you any breathing space... except for my friend the Geico gecko. :) The lack of healthcare amazes me, as does the lack of holidays! My wife considers herself lucky to have 4 weeks (20 days) of 'paid time off', which is sick days as well as holidays. She does also get a week at Christmas and good benefits, but that is still way below what is normal in the UK. I want to work for a non-profit though (she does), so hopefully can find something better in that respect although that's because they pay less so have to make up for it!

Also, being a manc I find it amusing when people say I sound like John Lennon. I know it's only 40 minutes away, but still... :unsure: Haven't had comments about my accent for ages though, maybe I'm losing it!

As far as beer, he's found tons of good micro-brewery beer. He's a beer freak, so I believe this when he tells me he's not missing anything....that and he can get any beer from just about anywhere if he wants it. He often says that the US shouldn't be defined by Budwiser just as the UK should be defined by Carling. *shrug* There's a lot of good beer out there if you look for it. Just don't look to the mass-producers.

Sounds like he's had much the same experience of the US as I have. I've got the pub for the football, download match of the day every week, all that stuff. I wanted to say, on the beer thing, that I'm a bit of a beer geek, and I love Philadelphia for its pubs and bars. There's lots of good beers here, I don't struggle for a good pint in the slightest. The only thing is that there aren't any English style ales, things tend to be hoppier, lots of IPA's.

i've seen some irish specialty stores that carry UK candy bars like the flake and aero etc

Yes, there's one in Philly that has bread too. I've yet to try it. Everythings about 6x the price it would be in the UK though.

I personally don't like that you can drive thru for almost everything.... I find it like the beginning of laziness or something :lol: but it's definitely different!

This is just a personal preference, but I hate driving automatics.

I can't even believe they charge you for water in the UK...

I don't like the drive thru for everything either. When we've gone to South Carolina (her parents have a place there) I've always felt relief that I live in a city where I can walk to a store, or pub. Nothing seems to be within a walkable distance round there. It's the same in the Lehigh Valley too, I think I'd go insane if I lived there.

I prefer driving manual too, purely because I feel more in control. Dont automatics use more petrol (gas) too?

As for charging water in the UK... can they actually do that? I know they can't in pubs, it has to be free. I would have imagined that it would be in restaurants, etc too?

"Open up and you'll feel alive, these are your times and my highs."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

they can't charge for tap water, as far as I know, but with the bottled stuff it's different (AFAIK)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

they can't charge for tap water, as far as I know, but with the bottled stuff it's different (AFAIK)

That's how I understand it as well :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

That's how I understand it as well :)

But if you go to a restaurant in the UK and ask for water, they bring you bottled water. Here, you ask for water and they bring tap water. I don't think they can charge for tap water in the UK but you have to specify that you want tap water.... in my experience anyway. Just a difference of norms.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I've had both experiences... ie restaurants that understand the request each way

one way round it is to ask for 'a jug of water' which never fails to get you what you want ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

In the UK, I always ask for a jug of tap water with a meal, they often they ask if I want water, I usually ask for tap water. I have heard of some places charging for tap water, not experienced that though.

Not sure if they offer this in the USA, I do like water with my meal but begrudge paying for it.

K1

02/09/2007 I-129F Petition received at Nebraska SC

09/11/2007 Medical scheduled at 10.30am

01/14/2008 Interview at 9.30am Approved

03/13/2008 POE

04/22/2008 Wedding

AOS

05/23/2008 Filed for AOS, EAD and AP.           

09/08/2008 EAD card received.                         

09/15/2008 AP received.                                    

11/25/2008 Card production ordered

Removal of Conditions

10/22/2010 Filed for Removal of Conditions

12/18/2010 Green Card received

Naturalization

11/21/2016 Mailed N400 Naturalization application

11/29/2016 Application received

12/02/2016 NOA1

12/30/2016 Biometrics

01/04/2017 In line for interview

02/09/2017 Received interview letter

03/16/2017 Interview in St Paul, Mn - PASSED!!

03/16/2017 Same day Oath Ceremony

Ah, but were you working?

I find the heat a LOT easier to deal with when I can just laze around! If I'm having to work, especially when it's humid, it can be unbearable! A sunny afternoon just sends me straight to sleep.

I'm hoping I'll be okay with the Californian heat because it's usually very dry heat. I didn't mind the heat in Summer '06, despite the temperatures reaching 40+ degrees. However, that may be because I spent the majority of the day in the fabulously-air conditioned San Diego convention centre ;)

Now, what was bad was driving 12 hours (San Diego to San Jose) in an old Volkswagen Beetle with no air conditioning when an overturned lorry caused us to sit still in traffic for two hours in the middle of the afternoon. Yeah, I'm never going to repeat that.

On a side note: Anyone else have problems ordering water in the US? That's the only hurdle I've encountered on my visits. My requests for water were not understood in five separate restaurants - and one lady even asked if I'd said 'lemonade'. I have no problem ordering anything else, and my accent isn't that obtuse! (I have a Sussex/London accent).

My husband had a really hard time ordering water when he first got here. He's from East London, but I don't think his accent is hard to understand. Over the past two years, he's changed the way he says 'water', kind of 'Americanized' it. :P So now he doesn't have too much trouble! :)

Current Journey - Naturalization

25 Jun 2012 - Filed N-400

28 Jun 2012 - NOA

03 Jul 2012 - Biometrics Letter

30 Jul 2012 - Fingerprints in St Louis, MO

02 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 11 Sept 2012 in Kansas City, MO

08 Aug 2012 - Letter stating interview has been cancelled

09 Aug 2012 - Interview Notice for 18 Sept 2012 in Springfield, MO

18 Sept 2012 - Approved! Oath ceremony 10/12/12

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
How are you wankers dealing with cold beer in America?? I gotta horse out in my yard if you like...

You friendly Yank

On behalf of the people of the United States of America, I wish to sincerely apologize for this persons derogatory remark toward the fine members of this community.

anybody else just feel like giving up? I have, but my love for Maggie keeps me sane

Ah, he's much better with the :devil::unsure::thumbs::whistle: than real words. And WHY is it that everyone thinks people in the UK drink warm beer??? I think I would drink warm beer before my husband would (he's the UKer). I can't believe how many Americans actually think that... I got into a heated argument with one j/a in class about it, refused to believe that the UK ACTUALLY drinks cold beer. My theory is that there is this pub in London (because that's all there is to the UK you see) that has this magical draw to Americans, and it only serves warm beer... It's an international cover-up... :unsure:

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.