Nicola&Matthew

SSN in Maiden name, to change or not to change now?

12 posts in this topic

Quick question, I have my SSN which is in my maiden name. They wanted me to go back when I have our marriage certificate to change the name to my husbands surname. My I-94 is almost about to expire ( 2/3 weeks left on it), I am wondering where I stand.

Is it possible to change the name later or is this going to cause me problems. I have trouble getting to the local SSN office as it's so far away and with most of my in-laws working full time it proves to be quite difficult. I just want to save us as much hassle as possible and do things on a needs must!

Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thanks

Nicola

-10/02/06 The beginning of the rest of our lives together!!!

-11/03/06 Our wedding day!!!

AOS Timeline

-03/05/06 NOA 1 For AOS, EAD & AP

-13/05/06 All applications touched

-05/06/06 Letter recieved from USCIS Appointment date set for Biometrics

-21/06/06 Biometrics apptointment

-24/06/06 EAD and AOS Touched

-29/06/06 AP e-mail approval

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-03/07/06 EAD e-mail approval (61 days)

-08/07/06 Recived AP doccuments

-10/07/06 EAD Arrives!!! Hooray

-15/07/06 USCIS letter recieved for AOS interview date

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-22/08/06 AOS Approved at interview (111 days)

-22/08/06 E-mails from USCIS Confirming AOS approval

-02/09/06 Condtional green card recieved in the mail!!!

-28/05/08 Mailed I-175 Petition to remove conditions

-02/06/08 Application recieved at CA!

-27/06/08 Biometrics

-15/08/08 Green Card recieved, good till 2018!!!

Note: Dates are in UK format because I'm (still) stubborn!!!

Quick question, I have my SSN which is in my maiden name. They wanted me to go back when I have our marriage certificate to change the name to my husbands surname. My I-94 is almost about to expire ( 2/3 weeks left on it), I am wondering where I stand.

Is it possible to change the name later or is this going to cause me problems. I have trouble getting to the local SSN office as it's so far away and with most of my in-laws working full time it proves to be quite difficult. I just want to save us as much hassle as possible and do things on a needs must!

Any advice or experience would be helpful. Thanks

Nicola

I cannot tell you what kind of problems it would cause you later if you didn't change it now, but I can give you an option to change your name. If you cannot easily get to the nearest office then you can download the form from the government website: http://www.ssa.gov/includes/topiclist.htm

Look under the "Social Security Numbers: Marriage/Divorce" section & it tells you what you need to do. Send them the completed form and your original marriage certificate (they mail it back to you immediately) and in a couple of weeks they will send you your new card.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but at least you know you can change the card without going in person!

Good luck!

CR-1:

14-Dec-05: Sent I-130 to London for DCF

28-Dec-05: Letter from Embassy denying due to LLR

17-Jan-06: RFE from TX due to "lack of payment"; USCIS won't accept credit card form from Embassy

01-Feb-06: Sent new I-130 to TX with personal check

13-Feb-06: NOA1

02-June-06: NOA2

05-June-06: Case received at NVC; case # assigned

26-June-06: DS-3032 Choice of Agent rec'd via snail mail

06-July-06: DS-3032 COA mailed; AOS bill mailed

24-July-06: IV bill generated

31-July-06: I-864 rec'd via snail mail; IV bill rec'd

31-Aug-06: IV bill mailed (delayed due to move to US)

21-Sep-06: DS-230 rec'd via snail mail

02-Oct-06: DS-230 & I-864 mailed

08-Nov-06: Case completed at NVC & forwarded to London Embassy!!!

28-Feb-07: Final Interview at London Embassy

01-Mar-07: Visa in hand!!!

Removal of Conditions:

16-Feb-09: I-751 sent to VSC

23-Feb-09: I-751 NOA1

10-Apr-09: Biometrics Appt

02-Sep-09: Approved - 10-yr Green Card Production Ordered

Filed: Timeline

SSA will not assign an SSN or issue a card in your status has expired or is within 14 days of expiring.

Until the 76th day after entry an individual with K-1 status only needs to provide an unexpired I-94 showing current K-1 status to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes. Once, an individual with K-1 status has been in the United States 76 days he or she will need another document, i.e. I-551, I-688B or I-766 to establish employment authorized status for SSN purposes.

RM 00203.500 Employment Authorization for Nonimmigrants:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203500#C1

RM 00203.410 Evidence of Alien Status for an SSN Card for an Alien Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203410

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a name correction/change you may submit either:

-- One legal name change document showing both the old and new names

(e.g., a court order for a name change or a marriage document). The

document must also show either (1) a description or photograph of

the person or (2) biographical information that can be compared with

the Numident data; or

-- When the name change document does not show either a photograph of

the person or biographical information that can be compared with the

Numident data, then, in addition to the name change document, the

applicant must also submit two acceptable identity documents. One

of the submitted identity documents must show the old name (the name

on the latest Numident record) AND the other submitted identity

document must show the new name (the name to be shown on the

corrected SSN card). The identity documents submitted must show

either a photograph of the applicant or provide biographical

information that can be compared with the Numident data.

Note: For a marriage document or marriage record to be acceptable as an identity document it must show, in addition to the applicant’s name, either the applicant’s age, date of birth or parents’ names and the marriage document alone can be accepted as evidence of identity for both the old and new names when it meets this standard.

When issuing immigration documents, the Department of State and DHS issue them in the person’s legal name. The legal name is also generally the name in which the foreign passport was issued.

When an alien applies for an SSN card, we presume the name on the immigration document is the legal name unless the applicant presents evidence of a legal name change (e.g., marriage) that occurred after the immigration document was issued.

This is in addition to proof of current lawful employment authorized status.

You can find detailed information regarding changing SSN record (Numident) data on the SSA Website at:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203210

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RM 00203.510 Alien without Work Authorization - Nonwork Need for an SSN:

http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0100203510#D4

4. Correcting Numident Data When a Replacement Card Cannot Be Issued

If the alien does not provide evidence of work authorization or a valid nonwork reason, explain that no replacement card can be issued.

Although a replacement card cannot be issued, the Numident can be corrected if the alien has provided documentation supporting the change (e.g., a name change).

If the alien provides documentation supporting the change, process the SS-5 to update the Numident information but suppress the issuance of a card.

Note From Me: This is only going to work if your marriage certificate has your age or date of birth.

http://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperq&a.htm#ein

Q. How can I make sure that the employee's SSN and name given to me are correct?

A. You should ask to see the SSN card, although the employee is not required to show the card unless it is readily available. You should record the name and SSN shown on the card in your business' personnel and payroll records that will be used to prepare W-2 reports.

If the employee indicates he or she prefers to use a different name for employment purposes, advise the employee that you must use the name as it currently appears on the card. Also advise the employee to request an updated Social Security card with a name change and to show it to you so that you can update your records and so that your records and the Social Security records will agree.

If you have got more than 2 weeks left on your I-94 I would change the name now. Otherwise you will have to wait until you get your EAD or green card which may or may not be a long wait.

LONDON TO CALIFORNIA ....

K1

May 5th 05 - K1 petition sent to CSC

August 23rd 05 - Visa Approved!!!

AOS and EAD

December 5th 05 - AOS and EAD sent

December 16th 05 - NOA's received for both AOS and EAD

December 31st 05 - Receive letter for AOS interview

February 6th 06 - AOS Interview - APPROVED

February 16th 06 - Biometrics Appointment

February 22nd 06 - EAD Approved via e mail

February 27th 06 - EAD card in mail!!!

March 6th 06 - Got a job!

March 17th 06 - Green Card Approval via e mail

March 18th 06 - 'Welcome to America' letter arrives

March 24th 06 - Green Card Arrives!

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world.

For indeed, that's all who ever have."

Thanks for the replies. My I-94 expires on May 9th so i'm trying to get one of my sister in laws to help with a lift. I have a feeling that i'm not gonna make the 2 week deadline but i'm gonna try my damndest to get it.

So I guess if unable to change my name on the card, once I get EAD and a job it will have to be in my maiden name until I get the green card right? Then I can file another document with the SSN office to change my name?

Thanks once again (I am kicking myself for not realizing how much time I had left on the I-94)

Nicola

AOS Timeline

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-27/06/08 Biometrics

Thanks for the replies. My I-94 expires on May 9th so i'm trying to get one of my sister in laws to help with a lift. I have a feeling that i'm not gonna make the 2 week deadline but i'm gonna try my damndest to get it.

So I guess if unable to change my name on the card, once I get EAD and a job it will have to be in my maiden name until I get the green card right? Then I can file another document with the SSN office to change my name?

DO NOT give up your SSN card until you receive the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL

https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps10/poms.nsf/lnx/0100201080

RM 00201.080 Field Office (FO) Disposal of Returned Social Security Number (SSN) Cards

2. Card Returned With Request For Replacement Card or New SSN

If the applicant has a card and requests a replacement card (duplicate or corrected) or a new SSN:

Ask the applicant to return the old SSN card. (If the applicant does not have the card with him or her, remind the applicant to return the old card to SSA for destruction or to keep the old card in a secure place [not in a wallet or purse]).

NOTE: Do not forcefully confiscate the SSN card if the applicant refuses to relinquish it. Similarly, return the old SSN card if the applicant requests that it be given back.

Yipppeeeeeeee sister-in-law has come through for me!!!! She's taking me up there tomorrow :D

If anyone is reading this and has their SSN in their maiden name and needs to change it to their married name, keep an eye on your expiry date of the I-94, learn from my (and probably others) mistakes and do it way before the 2 weeks is up on your card!!!!

It saves getting grey hairs and worrying!!!

DO NOT give up your SSN card until you receive the new one. Say the dog ate it. LOL

Mdyoung thanks for that tip, I will definately not take it with me!!!

Thank you so much for the support you guys have given.

Regards

Nicola

AOS Timeline

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-27/06/08 Biometrics

We had to wait until Claudeth had something from the USCIS in her married name like the EAD or GC befor SSA would change her name. They wouldn't accept the marriage certificate

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

We had to wait until Claudeth had something from the USCIS in her married name like the EAD or GC befor SSA would change her name. They wouldn't accept the marriage certificate

Goodness, I hope this won't be a wasted trip... I will go with an army of information to support my application to change my name! I'm going to go prepared!!! GAWD DAMN IT GIMME MY CARD!!! hehehehe :lol:

AOS Timeline

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-27/06/08 Biometrics

Goodness, I hope this won't be a wasted trip... I will go with an army of information to support my application to change my name! I'm going to go prepared!!! GAWD DAMN IT GIMME MY CARD!!! hehehehe :lol:

It your age or date of birth is on the marriage certificate you can at least get the name corrected on your SSN record. Take what I posted to the office and start yelling for the offfice manager if the service rep says you can't do it.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

FWIW, my wife and I decided early on that she wouldn't consider changing her name until we had completed the trek through the USCIS minefield. We didn't want to give them one more chance to be puzzled since it is seemingly so easy to do! Luck to all...G

Take what I posted to the office and start yelling for the offfice manager if the service rep says you can't do it.

LMAO will do!

AOS Timeline

-02/07/06 EAD Touched

-22/08/06 AOS interview

-27/06/08 Biometrics

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.