Masha2008

DS230 Speeding Ticket

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

I am preparing for DS-230. I have a question. I got a speeding ticket and paid almost 180 dollars in Japan in this May. Of course I only had to pay fee and nothing else. No arrest or anything. And now I am filling out DS 230 Q31. It says Have you ever been charged, arrested, or convicted of any offense or crime? I called up the embassy in Tokyo and asked if I had to say yes or no. The lady had no idea what she was saying. All she said was to attack paper and explain. Well, what should I do? Should I simply say yes and explain? or should I just say no, but attach explanation with receipt of payment ? Please help me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know how they treat speeding in Japan. If this were asked the States. The answer would be no. A traffic offense is not considered being charged with a crime. Traffic offenses are a separate category completely.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Timeline

This is funny. What happened to just telling the truth? My suggestion is that you put "yes", and say you got a speeding ticket in May. I don't think u have to attach a piece of paper to report that. There are a list of offenses that make you ineligible for a Visa. Getting a speeding ticket, i promise, isnt one of them <unless u ran from the officer or tried to run him/her down to escape the scene of the crime or they searched your trunk and found a load of dope etc etc>.

Regards, and good luck

David and Nitadyah

Timeline

One of my friend got speeding tickets twice in Japan, but it was for a while ago. She put NO on DS 230. Now, she is waiting for an interview. Ummmm, yes, namly saying CHARGED, I would say yes, because I was chaged to pay fine, but i do not know if traffic ticket is considered offense. Did anyone who put NO on DS230 after getting traffic tickets?

Filed: Timeline
I am preparing for DS-230. I have a question. I got a speeding ticket and paid almost 180 dollars in Japan in this May. Of course I only had to pay fee and nothing else. No arrest or anything. And now I am filling out DS 230 Q31. It says Have you ever been charged, arrested, or convicted of any offense or crime? I called up the embassy in Tokyo and asked if I had to say yes or no. The lady had no idea what she was saying. All she said was to attack paper and explain. Well, what should I do? Should I simply say yes and explain? or should I just say no, but attach explanation with receipt of payment ? Please help me.

i dont think u need to put yes at all, speeding ticket is common, here in canada it does not matter, since u re not charge or arrested even convicted why putting yes. if u apply for ur police cert is going to show on the report that u got a ticket, so i dont think u realy need it.

Timeline

One more weird question. Q34 on DS230 is asking me where you assisted in completing this application? If answer is yes, give name and address of person assiting you, indicating whether relative, friend, travel agent, attorney, or other) well, I did not hire a lawyer or anything. But, I asked a couple of uncertain questions on this VJ forum, does it consider assisting?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't hear anyone telling the O/P to lie. The debate is is whether a traffic ticket is an offense worthy of even mentioning. In most places of the world it is not. Why open up a potential can of worms if you do not have to? In America, no one should put down "Yes". Traffic violations are treated a bit different from real crime. I don't think many (if any) people would consider someone that received a traffic ticket a criminal offender.

This is funny. What happened to just telling the truth? My suggestion is that you put "yes", and say you got a speeding ticket in May. I don't think u have to attach a piece of paper to report that. There are a list of offenses that make you ineligible for a Visa. Getting a speeding ticket, i promise, isnt one of them <unless u ran from the officer or tried to run him/her down to escape the scene of the crime or they searched your trunk and found a load of dope etc etc>.

Regards, and good luck

David and Nitadyah

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.