Jason-Sasha

Interview date set!!

47 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Had a great trip to Russia!! But sad to be away from Sasha again :crying: Anyway, thanks everyone for your congratulations. Only little more than a month before our interview. She's very nervous but anxious at the same time. If all goes well, she'll be here on the 1st of April. Finally... Waiting through March will be a breeze if she has her visa. Can't wait for February :whistle:

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

27 May 06 - Sasha comes back for a 2nd glorious summer (spent 8 months apart)

01 Jan 07 - Jason travels to Moscow for 2 weeks with Sasha

27 May 07 - Jason again travels to Moscow for 2 weeks of perfection

14 July 07 - I-129F and all related documents sent to VSC

16 July 07 - I-129F delivered to VSC and signed for by P. Novak

20 July 07 - NOA1 issued / receipt number assigned

27 Sep 07 - Jason travels to Moscow to be with Sasha for 2 weeks

28 Nov 07 - NOA2 issued...TOUCHED!...then...APPROVED!!!

01 Dec 07 - NVC receives/assigns case #

04 Dec 07 - NVC sends case to U.S. Embassy Moscow

26 Dec 07 - Jason visits Sasha in Russia for the 4th and final time of 2007 :)

22 Feb 08 - Moscow Interview! (APPROVED!!!)..Yay!

24 Mar 08 - Sasha and Jason reunite in the U.S. :)

31 May 08 - Married

29 Dec 08- Alexander is born

11 Jan 10 - AOS / AP / EAD package sent

19 Jan 10 - AOS NOA1 / AP NOA1 / EAD NOA1

08 Feb 10 - AOS case transferred to CSC

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You should get your tax return just in time to pay for her flight here. Thanks Uncle!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Hey Slim, that has me thinking.....I was still technically married for the first couple of months of 2007. (my divorce hadn't been finalized yet). Does this mean I can still file as married for 2007?? Just wondering. Since I'll be getting my W-2 next week. Which is great because I made plenty of money in 2007 to support my I-134. 2006 was not so friendly. So, thankfully I'll have good tax history for 2007 for Sasha's interview. I've been stressing this a bit. But it seems I'll have the documents in plenty of time to send to her before the interview. Also, since I am working in the service industry and most of my income is from gratuity, I may owe money to the government. I claimed almost everything I made in tips because I needed my earnings statement to reflect I made more than the required amount. So, I'm kinda thinking I will owe money. If this is the case, will I need to pay when I file? I mean I know I can pay Uncle Sam over time if needed, but I wasnt sure if the embassy will require that I have my taxes paid for 2007, not only state what I was taxed on my earnings. Does this make sense to you? My wording is probably all screwy. Say I owe the government a cool grand. Will they send me the return document without being paid in full?? I've never owed before, mainly because all of my earnings were not claimed. Usually I receive a return. But like I said, this year I claimed damn near every penny. Or will W-2 be good enough on its own? Do I absolutely need to have the transcript for the year also? And will they give me this transcript if I owe them money? Do you think I can have what I need and send it to Sasha in time for her interview on February 22nd? If not, I'm simply going to have to go with the W-2, paystubs, employer letter, etc. Thanks for any info you can give... or anyone else for that matter.

22 Jun 05 - We met in a tiny bar in Williamsburg, Va. (spent all summer together)

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Jason, I get what your asking. Several questions to answer and I'm not sure about all of them but basically it goes like this.

The good -

The embassy doesn't care about your tax status - if you owe, are current, etc. All they care about is that you make enough money to support your beneficiary and she's not going to become a public charge if and when they give her a visa. You show them that on the I-134 you submit and then you "prove it" with your W-2, check stubs, etc.

You do not need to send tax transcripts. (That's for self-employed.) So don't even worry about that. Don't worry about if you owe or not, that doesn't matter either.

Basically, the only thing you need, tax wise, is that W-2 that "proves" you make $26,000+ (or whatever the current amount of 125%/poverty level is) I would use an employer letter, recent check stubs and bank statements to further support that as well.

Also, if you claimed most of your gratuities (and paid taxes on them) then you shouldn't have to pay the IRS squat. Even if you do, then it shouldn't be that much. That's the beauty of having all of your income reported and your tax status in line with that. Most people view a tax return as something of a savings plan or "extra" money. In reality, it's neither. You earn that money throughout the year. Use it!!!

The bad -

I don't know if you can file as "married" or not. You may have to talk to your ex-wife about this one!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Whew....Thanks Slim. Feel a bit better now. I just searched for the poverty guidelines and found that for a household of 2 the 125% requirement is only $17,112. seems so low. Its for 2007. But the bottom of the form says these guidelines are good until the spring of 2008 when they will increase a little. I made plenty more than this, so all should be good. Glad to hear that W-2 is all that's needed and not transcripts. I think I'll file as single for 2007 just to avoid any problems later. I'll be mailing the I-134 and other documents to Sasha next week. By then I should have my new W-2s. I took the last two months worth of paystubs, letter from employer, original birth certificate, original NOA2 to Moscow with me. So she has all of these things. All I need to send her now is the W-2, I-134 notarized, more recent check stubs, more recent letter of intent.....am I missing anything?? She has recent photos together, a ring on her finger, recent boarding passes and itineraries.

Just hoping I have everything. You say to keep an extra copy of her vaccinations for adjustment later. How do you do this? Isnt it part of the medical exam? Those documents are sealed and not opened until the interview, correct? Again...thanks!

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline
Whew....Thanks Slim. Feel a bit better now. I just searched for the poverty guidelines and found that for a household of 2 the 125% requirement is only $17,112. seems so low. Its for 2007. But the bottom of the form says these guidelines are good until the spring of 2008 when they will increase a little. I made plenty more than this, so all should be good. Glad to hear that W-2 is all that's needed and not transcripts. I think I'll file as single for 2007 just to avoid any problems later. I'll be mailing the I-134 and other documents to Sasha next week. By then I should have my new W-2s. I took the last two months worth of paystubs, letter from employer, original birth certificate, original NOA2 to Moscow with me. So she has all of these things. All I need to send her now is the W-2, I-134 notarized, more recent check stubs, more recent letter of intent.....am I missing anything?? She has recent photos together, a ring on her finger, recent boarding passes and itineraries.

Just hoping I have everything. You say to keep an extra copy of her vaccinations for adjustment later. How do you do this? Isnt it part of the medical exam? Those documents are sealed and not opened until the interview, correct? Again...thanks!

Hmm... let's say you are working in Russia and therefore don't pay US income tax, but want to move back to the states with your spouse... how do you get around this requirement?

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

Hmm... let's say you are working in Russia and therefore don't pay US income tax, but want to move back to the states with your spouse... how do you get around this requirement?

Good question! You know, Sasha and I have actually considered this idea in the past. And we decided against it simply for the tax factor. But in the event that something should keep her from getting her visa on Feb 22nd, I am going to pack up and move to Moscow. And this question has come into our conversations several times. I think maybe Slim can help with this one.

Paging Dr. Slim, Dr. Slim could you please come to the information desk?......

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
That is one terrific Christmas present! I am so happy for you both! :dance:

Thanks everyone. Hope you're all enjoying a wonderful Christmas!! And....love the hats Jeff! Very cool touch :thumbs:

Wonderful news, Jason. I keep emailing the embassy every day and they still are saying they don't have our documents yet, even though NVC has confirmed over and over with me that it was sent on the 21st. Any ideas on what I can do? I am getting super frustrated, the patient one, Alane & Ramzis

9/5/2004 met

7/4/2006 visited for 1 week in Russia (Independence Day!)

12/26/06 three week visit in the U.S.

4/6/07 He came to US for 6 glorious weeks

5/20/07 He returned to Ufa, RU

5/24/07 Mailed I-129F to NSC!!!!!

5/25/07 Received and signed for by F Heinauer, NSC

6/11/07 NOA1 (NEVER received hard copy)

8/23/07 Ramzis comes to America for another visit

10/02/07 Ramzis returns to Russia

11/06/07 NOA2 at LAST!!!

12/17/07 Received at NVC (at last!)

12/18/07 Sent to Moscow Embassy & New NVC Case Number

12/21/07 Received at 11:08 a.m. Moscow Embassy

1/25/08 Received packet from Embassy

03/07/08 Interview 8:00 a.m. Moscow Embassy! VISA APPROVED!!!

03/13/08 Visa in Hand

03/14/08 Flying to U.S. - Detroit POE

03/15/08 Our Wedding Day!

AOS Timeline

3/21/08 - Packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

3/24/08 - Packet received and signed for

3/28/08 - NOA1 received in the mail - EAD & AOS - check cashed

4/15/08 - Biometrics

5/5/08 - AOS interview notice received in the mail (will be in Detroit, June 12, 2008)

6/2/08 - EAD card ordered (CRIS email)

6/5/08 - EAD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL

6/12/08 - Permanent Resident APPROVAL! Green Card on the Way!

6/23/08 - Green Card Received!!!

You would require a co-sponsor that is willing to sponsor your beneficiary. Basically, you still file the I-129 or I-130 or whatever it is that you're filing to petition for your fiancee/spouse and then when they go to their interview instead of them having an I-134 with your financial information on it, they'd have an I-134 from someone else; mom, uncle, etc.

This is actually a pretty common thing for students or those who have been living abroad for a while. Don't think that getting a co-sponsor is going to hurt your chances. In actuality, it may help! If you make $19,000 and you're trying to sponsor your spouse (and yourself since you're moving back to the States too!) you are technically "meeting the requirement." But, if your rich uncle, who makes $94,000 and is single decides to be your co-sponsor, then there's no question that he's "meeting the standard." (Don't worry if you don't have a rich uncle either, just make sure it's someone that makes a little more than 125% of the poverty guidelines.)

Good question! You know, Sasha and I have actually considered this idea in the past. And we decided against it simply for the tax factor.

The form you want to get it the DS-3025. It is a simple immunization record that she can request a copy of either at the medical or the interview. If they give her only a sealed document at the medical then have her request a copy of that form specifically. Or, have her get one from the interview. Simply have her ask them to make a copy for her to use during AOS.

I keep emailing the embassy every day and they still are saying they don't have our documents yet, even though NVC has confirmed over and over with me that it was sent on the 21st. Any ideas on what I can do? I am getting super frustrated, the patient one, Alane & Ramzis

Yes. I have an idea on what you can do.

CHILL OUT!!!

If you're emailing EVERY DAY then you're going to drive yourself crazy. First of all, your docs were sent from NVC on the 21st. That means they had to leave the U.S. during the Christmas and New Years holidays. Then, they had to be received by the embassy in Russia during the Russian New Years and Christmas (Jan. 7th, remember?) holidays. Then, they have to be processed and then after several more weeks, you get an interview date.

I understand you're excited and want to see when they get there and all that. But, truth be told, all you're going to find out by "confirming" they have your packet is another date to put on your signature line. Then, you're still going to have to wait a couple more weeks until you FINALLY get the interview date. I hope you're not calling and emailing the embassy every day during the time between when they receive your case and the time you get notified of the interview date. And I really hope you're not spending all your time in the K-1 forum asking what the tricks are to finding out the dates before they're posted on the website because the website doesn't update very often and you need to know. You've been waiting for six days. Where's your interview date?????

I know you want that interview to happen and this process to go on and get over with and the good news is... it will! But, it's not going to happen today. Try to calm down a little bit and not worry so much about when they sign for this or when they update that and what they're doing in relation to your case. Just have faith that it is going to happen.

I'd also recommend catching up on anything you really enjoy doing by yourself because once your fiance gets here, your freetime and your "me time" is going to be nil.

Good luck in all of this and I hope to see some dates posted soon. But in the mean time. Relax a little and just have a little more patience. It would be a tragedy if you had a heart attack trying because you were so stressed about finding out when this or that happened.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

You would require a co-sponsor that is willing to sponsor your beneficiary. Basically, you still file the I-129 or I-130 or whatever it is that you're filing to petition for your fiancee/spouse and then when they go to their interview instead of them having an I-134 with your financial information on it, they'd have an I-134 from someone else; mom, uncle, etc.

This is actually a pretty common thing for students or those who have been living abroad for a while. Don't think that getting a co-sponsor is going to hurt your chances. In actuality, it may help! If you make $19,000 and you're trying to sponsor your spouse (and yourself since you're moving back to the States too!) you are technically "meeting the requirement." But, if your rich uncle, who makes $94,000 and is single decides to be your co-sponsor, then there's no question that he's "meeting the standard." (Don't worry if you don't have a rich uncle either, just make sure it's someone that makes a little more than 125% of the poverty guidelines.)

Thanks, that's what I figured. And I definitely have family who could sponsor us. It just freaked me out because my Russian SO has a way better career and more job skills than me, so how could I prove that I could support him in the US if I had no semblance of a career there and he would probably find a new job sooner than me?!

Первый блин комом.

If not, I'm simply going to have to go with the W-2, paystubs, employer letter, etc. Thanks for any info you can give... or anyone else for that matter.

Jason don't sweat. My fiance only sent me I-134, employer letter and paystubs. When the embassy people asked why I didn't bring tax returns, I reminded them that they were optional and paystubs should be enough. No problem!

In reality, my fiance's lawyer advised him against sending his tax and SSN information to Russia, for security reasons. Enough said.

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

Timeline
If not, I'm simply going to have to go with the W-2, paystubs, employer letter, etc. Thanks for any info you can give... or anyone else for that matter.

Jason don't sweat. My fiance only sent me I-134, employer letter and paystubs. When the embassy people asked why I didn't bring tax returns, I reminded them that they were optional and paystubs should be enough. No problem!

In reality, my fiance's lawyer advised him against sending his tax and SSN information to Russia, for security reasons. Enough said.

Very helpful! Thanks alot. I'll still send the W-2s. But I feel much better now.

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

• 1 month later...
Timeline

6 more days!!! :clock:

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I get this ClockWatch2.gif at a very visceral level! I leave for Moscow in 5 days for Natasha's interview in 12 days! I hope you/Sasha posts about the interview/visa experience, even though I probably won't be able to read it until I get back! GOOD LUCK YOU TWO!!!!!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Timeline

Thank you so much. Good luck to you, too and have a good time in Russia! I will certainly post about my interview experience here.

Sasha

31 May 08 - Married

16 Mar 10 - AP received

16 Mar 10 - AOS approved

19 Mar 10 - EAD received

22 Mar 10 - GC received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.