eekee

visa for single russian man

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Do any of you have experience with getting a tourist visa to US for a single Russian man? My boyfriend wants to visit me in a couple of months, and I was wondering what the best way to do this would be. Would it be better to say that he was staying with a mutual male friend of ours, rather than with me?

And I know it is easier for me to go to Russia... I am going in less than a week. And we were planning on taking a trip to a different country in the spring where neither of us would need a visa, but he would really like to see where I am from and meet all my friends.

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Do any of you have experience with getting a tourist visa to US for a single Russian man? My boyfriend wants to visit me in a couple of months, and I was wondering what the best way to do this would be. Would it be better to say that he was staying with a mutual male friend of ours, rather than with me?

And I know it is easier for me to go to Russia... I am going in less than a week. And we were planning on taking a trip to a different country in the spring where neither of us would need a visa, but he would really like to see where I am from and meet all my friends.

Does he own property in Russia? Does he have immediate family that he won't want to separate from (like children)? Does he have a good job/career to return to? Does he have anything that will act as strong reason for him to return to Russia?

From everything I've heard, getting into the US is notoriously difficult. Not only may it be easier for you to visit Russia, but it may be wiser. If he's rejected once for a visa, I'm pretty sure that it reduces the likelihood of him getting a visa in the future (what if you decide to get married later?)...

Of course, I reserve the right to be wrong... Who wants to take the next crack at answering?

Z

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
He has a good career, but no property or dependents. Also, I am planning on moving to Russia in June... if I could provide him with some sort of proof that I was going to move to Russia, would that help him?

In my opinion - no. But then again, I'm no expert on immigration law. As far as I know, the visitor visa process isn't meant to evaluate the reality or stability of your relationship together -- instead it's meant to ascertain his likelihood of remaining inside the United States after his visa has expired. He needs to prove that he's got substantial ties to Russia that would indicate a solid desire to return.

Perhaps Satellite or one of the other legal gurus on the forum will chime in once the sun begins to rise on the East Coast. :)

Z

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Does he own property in Russia? Does he have immediate family that he won't want to separate from (like children)? Does he have a good job/career to return to? Does he have anything that will act as strong reason for him to return to Russia?

All good points. The more ties back to Russia he can demostrate, the better his chances.

If he's rejected once for a visa, I'm pretty sure that it reduces the likelihood of him getting a visa in the future (what if you decide to get married later?)...

Not true. Being rejected for a visa does not reduce your chances of getting one the next time you apply. You'll just have to provide better proof that you'll come back. Neither will it affect the K-1/K-3 visas.

He has a good career, but no property or dependents. Also, I am planning on moving to Russia in June... if I could provide him with some sort of proof that I was going to move to Russia, would that help him?

What about his parents? He could claim them as dependents, especially if they are retired and need medical or some such care.

Has he been to other countries before? Europe? Any visas in his passport? This would show that he has been to other well off western countries and has come back to Russia.

If I were him applying for a visa, I would not mention an American girlfriend at all. No letters from you, not proof of anything, nothing at all. This would only raise questions from them about him marrying you and staying in the US.

My reason for asking for a visa would be that I want to visit a new country, travel to a few cities and see the local attractions. I would suggest coming up with some sort of an itinerary, a list of cities to visit. Maybe go to some tour company and have them put together an estimated tour for him.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Igor&Elina

Check my always up to date List of I-129F filers waiting for NOA2s. Now with some statistics. The data is from the VJ.com timelines.

I-129F Timeline

06/Aug/2007 I-129F sent to CSC, 24/Jan/2008 NOA2 171 days, 27/Feb/2008 Interview, 05/Mar/2008 Arrived together to US; POE SFO, 13/Mar/2008 Married!

10/May/2008 Our daughter Sophia was born, weighing in at 3.895kg (8lb 9.4oz) and 53.5 cm long (21.06").

AOS Timeline

01/Jul/2008 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP docs, 08/Jul/2008 NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130, 29/Jul/2008 Biometrics, 22/Oct/2008 AOS interview, 04/Nov/2008 Green card received!

Igor/Игорь 3dflags_usa0001-0002a.gif & 3dflags_rus0001-0002a.gif Элина/Elina

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

b

As far as I know, the visitor visa process isn't meant to evaluate the reality or stability of your relationship together -- instead it's meant to ascertain his likelihood of remaining inside the United States after his visa has expired. He needs to prove that he's got substantial ties to Russia that would indicate a solid desire to return.
A visitor's visa is rarely denied for improper purpose baring a direct a acknowledgment by the applicant that he plans to work or study in the US. Europeans are even advised to use the VWP to get married in the US if they then plan to return to Europe. A lot of people on VJ will argue that a K1 visa should not be used to evaluate a future spouse. For personal reasons I disagree with that notion and stand firm that there is no way USCIS could prove private intetions. As for using a visitor's visa to scout out a spouse, sure, that is a valid purpose, but by acknowledging this purpose, your standard and burden of proof rises immensly befor the CO that you will return to Russia if you find this person. As mentioned in the past, proving your intent to return to Russia is the biggest hurdle. Because all non-immigrants are presumed to be immigrants when applying for admission to the US. See INA §214(b ).

" INA 214(b ) states that: "every alien (other than a nonimmigrant described in subparagraph (l ) or (v) of

section 101(a)(15), and other than a nonimmigrant described in any provision of section 101(a)(15)(H)(i) except

subclause (b1) of such section) shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the

consular officer, at the time of application for a visa, and the immigration officers, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status under section 101(a)(15)."

http://travel.state.gov/visa/laws/telegram...grams_2173.html

Perhaps Satellite or one of the other legal gurus on the forum will chime in once the sun begins to rise on the East Coast. :)
West Coast for me. But hey its Sunday and the holidays, what kind of responses do you think you will get?

If he's rejected once for a visa, I'm pretty sure that it reduces the likelihood of him getting a visa in the future (what if you decide to get married later?)...
Not true. Being rejected for a visa does not reduce your chances of getting one the next time you apply. You'll just have to provide better proof that you'll come back. Neither will it affect the K-1/K-3 visas.
It will reduce his chances if he lies on that B2 application. A common trick to get approved is to go to agencies that will create forged documents which state you have a good job, high salary, and you own property. If caught then you will be inadmissible for any future visas barring a waiver, of which I am not sure is available for misrepresentation of this sort.

Timeline
It will reduce his chances if he lies on that B2 application. A common trick to get approved is to go to agencies that will create forged documents which state you have a good job, high salary, and you own property. If caught then you will be inadmissible for any future visas barring a waiver, of which I am not sure is available for misrepresentation of this sort.

Absolutely. Lying on these applications is always a bad idea, and so is using forged documents and such. If caught it will hurt your chances of getting a visa, might even bar you from getting one ever again.

Your best bet is to put together a set of your documents and facts and such that shows your ties to Russia in the best way. Never lie, never misrepresent. It is better to be honest, get rejected and be able to reapply again then to get barred from applying ever again. Actually honesty can carry you pretty far in the process. It's like they can smell it. ;)

Check my always up to date List of I-129F filers waiting for NOA2s. Now with some statistics. The data is from the VJ.com timelines.

I-129F Timeline

06/Aug/2007 I-129F sent to CSC, 24/Jan/2008 NOA2 171 days, 27/Feb/2008 Interview, 05/Mar/2008 Arrived together to US; POE SFO, 13/Mar/2008 Married!

10/May/2008 Our daughter Sophia was born, weighing in at 3.895kg (8lb 9.4oz) and 53.5 cm long (21.06").

AOS Timeline

01/Jul/2008 Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP docs, 08/Jul/2008 NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-130, 29/Jul/2008 Biometrics, 22/Oct/2008 AOS interview, 04/Nov/2008 Green card received!

Igor/Игорь 3dflags_usa0001-0002a.gif & 3dflags_rus0001-0002a.gif Элина/Elina

Timeline
What about his parents? He could claim them as dependents, especially if they are retired and need medical or some such care.

Has he been to other countries before? Europe? Any visas in his passport? This would show that he has been to other well off western countries and has come back to Russia.

If I were him applying for a visa, I would not mention an American girlfriend at all. No letters from you, not proof of anything, nothing at all. This would only raise questions from them about him marrying you and staying in the US.

My reason for asking for a visa would be that I want to visit a new country, travel to a few cities and see the local attractions. I would suggest coming up with some sort of an itinerary, a list of cities to visit. Maybe go to some tour company and have them put together an estimated tour for him.

Hope this helps.

His parents are both employed and in relatively good health, so I don't really see how he could claim them as dependents. He has been to Thailand and Ukraine, but never Western Europe.

So would it be better to say that he would stay at a hotel, rather than with me? I suppose that it could be a problem to not mention that he had a girlfriend in the US when he visited, because we have already been together for over a year and have held apartment leases together in Russia and are getting another lease together in June. it might be an issue if we apply for a k-1 kind of visa when they see for how long we have been a couple, and then see that when he visited the US he did not say he was visiting me.

i suppose it will be a lot easier to just to go somewhere else in europe or asia, but i already know his all his friends and family and he wants to see my non-Russian life. :(

thanks for everyone's help!

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

• 3 weeks later...

Is he a university student? If so, then he can apply for a Work and Travel program to come and visit the States that way. He would live in the US for the whole summer. He just needs for you to find him an employer who is willing to fill out a form for him saying that he will work 20 or so hours a week.

That is the only way that I see young guys easily obtaining visas to go visit the States here in Ukraine. Any of my guy friends that have applied outside of Work and Travel have been denied visas.

• Jan 2004 - Met Sergey in Kharkov Ukraine when I substituted for his English teacher
  • August 2006 - Sergey and I are reacquainted and begin dating
  • February 2007 - Sergey proposes
  • May 19 2007 - Sergey and I are married in Ukraine
  • Jan 16 2008 - Filed I-130 petition at Kyiv Embassy
  • Jan 31 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 18 2008 - Medical Appointment
  • Feb 21 2008 - Final Interview Date - Visa approved
  • Feb 25 2008 - Visa delivered!
  • April 24 2008 - Arrived in America
  • June 21 2008 - Our son is born (3 months early). We made it to America just in time!
  • Waiting to "Remove Conditions" in 2010

Removing Conditions

• Feb 17 2010 - Sent off I-751
  • Feb 22 2010 - Date of NOA1
  • Mar 26 2010 - Date of Bio
  • May 10 2010 - Approved
  • June 2 2010 - Received Card in the mail

Timeline
Is he a university student? If so, then he can apply for a Work and Travel program to come and visit the States that way. He would live in the US for the whole summer. He just needs for you to find him an employer who is willing to fill out a form for him saying that he will work 20 or so hours a week.

That is the only way that I see young guys easily obtaining visas to go visit the States here in Ukraine. Any of my guy friends that have applied outside of Work and Travel have been denied visas.

thanks for this suggestion but he graduated from university several years ago and i also want to go back to russia for the summer myself :)

Первый блин комом.

Timeline

My fiance' (male) got a b-1 with NO problems at all. You just need to prove that he has a reason to return to Russia. Really it was no big deal and it really didn't cost any more for his multiple entry visa (good for 1 year) than when I went to Russia for 1 week. the interview lasted about 1 minute.

9/5/2004 met

7/4/2006 visited for 1 week in Russia (Independence Day!)

12/26/06 three week visit in the U.S.

4/6/07 He came to US for 6 glorious weeks

5/20/07 He returned to Ufa, RU

5/24/07 Mailed I-129F to NSC!!!!!

5/25/07 Received and signed for by F Heinauer, NSC

6/11/07 NOA1 (NEVER received hard copy)

8/23/07 Ramzis comes to America for another visit

10/02/07 Ramzis returns to Russia

11/06/07 NOA2 at LAST!!!

12/17/07 Received at NVC (at last!)

12/18/07 Sent to Moscow Embassy & New NVC Case Number

12/21/07 Received at 11:08 a.m. Moscow Embassy

1/25/08 Received packet from Embassy

03/07/08 Interview 8:00 a.m. Moscow Embassy! VISA APPROVED!!!

03/13/08 Visa in Hand

03/14/08 Flying to U.S. - Detroit POE

03/15/08 Our Wedding Day!

AOS Timeline

3/21/08 - Packet sent to Chicago Lockbox

3/24/08 - Packet received and signed for

3/28/08 - NOA1 received in the mail - EAD & AOS - check cashed

4/15/08 - Biometrics

5/5/08 - AOS interview notice received in the mail (will be in Detroit, June 12, 2008)

6/2/08 - EAD card ordered (CRIS email)

6/5/08 - EAD RECEIVED IN THE MAIL

6/12/08 - Permanent Resident APPROVAL! Green Card on the Way!

6/23/08 - Green Card Received!!!

Timeline

My fiance' (male) got a b-1 with NO problems at all. You just need to prove that he has a reason to return to Russia. Really it was no big deal and it really didn't cost any more for his multiple entry visa (good for 1 year) than when I went to Russia for 1 week. the interview lasted about 1 minute.

how did he prove he had a reason to return to russia?

Первый блин комом.

• 2 months later...

It's pretty difficult for younger Russian men (I'm assuming your boy is not senile, etc.), but it's doable! We did it! The first time around Vasya (my fiance) was rejected, mainly because he was unable to show having enough assets (ie: enough important ####### to make him need to return to Russia), and also because I invited him personally.... The 2nd time around we figured it out, with the help of a couple others.... Instead of me inviting him, my mother agreed to help which allowed us to invited him as a "family" rather than just me. He got letters from both his jobs saying he worked for them and expected him back by a certain date, and then had them translated (very cheap translation services in Peter!). He also got his parents to write a letter saying when he was expected back home. I think there was one other thing, so when i remember I'll let you know. If you have any questions, etc., feel free to PM me (I added you as a friend since you're the only other girl I've seen here with a Russian boy! :thumbs: )

Good luck and let us know how thing's go!!!

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Timeline

He got a shengen visa instead and we're in italy together right at this very moment. :)

Right now I know it's impossible for him to get a US visa. He quit his job because he made enough money from a freelance gig to live for a few months without working. So we'll wait until he gets a new job.

I do know of a few people who were rejected even though the family invited them, and not an individual. We'll have to wait and see though, as it will be a long time before my guy gets a new job and vacation time. Plus i'm lined up to receive a russian student visa and then a work visa a few months later, so him coming to the us to visit isn't a priority right now.

It's pretty difficult for younger Russian men (I'm assuming your boy is not senile, etc.), but it's doable! We did it! The first time around Vasya (my fiance) was rejected, mainly because he was unable to show having enough assets (ie: enough important ####### to make him need to return to Russia), and also because I invited him personally.... The 2nd time around we figured it out, with the help of a couple others.... Instead of me inviting him, my mother agreed to help which allowed us to invited him as a "family" rather than just me. He got letters from both his jobs saying he worked for them and expected him back by a certain date, and then had them translated (very cheap translation services in Peter!). He also got his parents to write a letter saying when he was expected back home. I think there was one other thing, so when i remember I'll let you know. If you have any questions, etc., feel free to PM me (I added you as a friend since you're the only other girl I've seen here with a Russian boy! :thumbs: )

Первый блин комом.

He got a shengen visa instead and we're in italy together right at this very moment. :)

Right now I know it's impossible for him to get a US visa. He quit his job because he made enough money from a freelance gig to live for a few months without working. So we'll wait until he gets a new job.

I do know of a few people who were rejected even though the family invited them, and not an individual. We'll have to wait and see though, as it will be a long time before my guy gets a new job and vacation time. Plus i'm lined up to receive a russian student visa and then a work visa a few months later, so him coming to the us to visit isn't a priority right now.

Congrats on the Schengen!

And I just realized that you posted this topic a couple months ago...ooops :whistle:

You're sooooo lucky to be going to Piter...it's my 2nd home kinda and I miss so many aspects about... have you been there before? I went to SPBgU last year...

As of:

June 26, 2012 - The Hubbs received his 10-year Permanent Residency Card (aka THE Greencard) in the mail today!

At long last, this highly stressful leg of our journey has come to a close - for now - and we couldn't be more grateful and appreciative for all the tremendous help and support here on VJ! Without VisaJourney I doubt we would be where my husband and I are today! Thanks to all!

wub.pngwub.pngwub.png

<333

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.