Misty1979

Change of address before GC

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey guys:) Well I activated my visa last night, (will post a review later), and I'm a little confused about how to go about changing my address in the system before we move next week. The CBP officer last night told me I need to walk into an "immigration building" ASAP and let them know my new address, but I don't think we have any sort of immigration building anywhere near us :blink:

Also....we are moving, but this place will be vacant for quite a while. My MIL owns it, but doesn't live here. That being said..could we just have her check the mail weekly, and have her forward the GC to us in our new town, and avoid having to change address?

Thanks in advance for any replies :)

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

March06/06 USCIS Website States: "Approval Notice Sent."

March15/07 Approval notice arrives in snail mail

March 18/07 NOA1 for I-129F

April 10/07 DS-3032+ AOS fee arrive

April 17/07 Sent back DS-3032 + AOS fee via overnight delivery

May 05/07 AOS arrives in mail

May 07/07 IV bill arrives in mail

May 08/08 Sent back IV bill

May 21 NVC generates DS-230

June 4/07 Mailed DS-230 via overnight delivery.

June 7/07 DS-230 entered into the system

June 18/07 Case Complete!

July 25/07 Medical

September 4/07 Contacted State Senator Re: MTL backlog

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

Dec.18/07 Moved to the US

Oct. 29/09 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline

you could have your mail forwarded by the post office-a good idea regardless of the gc issue. I'm trying to remember if the gc envelope said do not forward-I don't think so but it's been a few weeks now so I'm not positive

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Timeline

Probably the least hassle would be for her to get the greencard and mail it to ya, then to the change of address thingy!! Not sure if they will forward ur mail, for some reason I dont think so!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

from what I heard USPS will not forward that kind of mail

AOS Timeline

12/05/2007 - Mailed AOS package

07/03/2008 - Received Welcome Letter and Green Card in Mail.

Timeline

from what I remember the envelope was very plain-no DOS seal or anything. just your typical plastic window type of envelope. The post office will forward everything that isn't specifically marked "do not forward". lots of bank envelopes have that, but I don't remember the greencard envelope saying anything like that

met summer 1999, summer 2000 hooked up-whoo hoo summer fling

summer fling failed to fizzle, married 2003

I-130 mailed 12/15/03

4/1/04 no word from NE contacted senators office, app found

NOA1 4/13/04

Gave up on ridiculously long US process-started Canadian

12/4/04 submitted app

LSS app returned because of missed signatures, lost in transit, resubmitted in June

9/28/05 landed, yippie

10/4/05 fly back to US to "finish up Master's" lose mind and switch to PhD

Damn it back to the US process

3/something/2005 finally get NOA2, no idea why it took so long

4/15/07 get case approval from NVC

8/9/07 Montreal here we come

10/14/07 hubby activated his visa

Filed: Timeline
from what I remember the envelope was very plain-no DOS seal or anything. just your typical plastic window type of envelope. The post office will forward everything that isn't specifically marked "do not forward". lots of bank envelopes have that, but I don't remember the greencard envelope saying anything like that

It doesn't - it's actually a quite nondescript envelope (I would think on purpose).

Timeline

Hmm ok...sounds like the best idea for me at this point would be to have the post office forward it to our new address. The place we are staying at now may or may not be put up for sale sometime in the near future, so as long as the post office is ok with forwarding it, that will probably be our best bet.

Thanks for the replies everyone :thumbs:

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Dec.6/07 INTERVIEW..... APPROVED!!!! (After being kept awake all night in dirty clothes standing outside my hotel because Air Canada lost my luggage and my hotel started on fire. Meh, sleep is highly over-rated anyways.)

"We come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly"

Timeline
Probably the least hassle would be for her to get the greencard and mail it to ya, then to the change of address thingy!! Not sure if they will forward ur mail, for some reason I dont think so!

Sorry, thought of one more question relating to your answer. I'm going to either have her mail the GC to me, or just have the Post office forward it along (sounds like they will), but how do I go about changing my address afterwards, or do I even need to bother?

I found two forms on uscis.gov, and both of them look like the proper form to file. The first one is called an AR-11, the second is AR-11SR (the SR stands for "special registration"...not sure if I fall into that category or not.)

Or do I make an Infopass appt and change my address there?

PS-If you so much as whisper Infopass...I may have to hurt you. The nearest office is about 3 hours from here and our car croaked yesterday, so getting there will present a slight problem :wacko:

Edited by Misty1979

Sept.09/06 Married!!!

Dec.21/06 Sent I-130

Jan.04/04 Received NOA1

Feb.23/06 Sent I-129F

July 25/07 Medical

Timeline

u wont have to do an info pass.

I believe the 1 form is the AR 11 and there is another, but at 0500 with no coffee I can't recall it!! I believe u can file the AR-11 online now, not sure about the second (unnamed one)

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Other Timeline

You are required by law to notify USCIS that you have moved within 10 days. The immigrant needs to send them form AR-11 and the sponsor/spouse needs to send them form I-865 within 30 days of the move. Failure to notify USCIS that you have moved could result in possible fines and/or jail time and/or deportation.

Send USCIS the forms as soon as you know your new address, AND have the post office forward your mail.

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.