Sharon

Anyone applied for a new Canadian Passport from the USA?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Information for US Citizens and US Permanent Residents

United States Citizens and Alien Resident card (otherwise known as "Green Card") holders do not require a visa to visit Canada. You must have proof of your United States Citizenship or permanent residence.

If you are entering Canada directly from the United States, the following documents should be accepted as evidence of your Citizenship or permanent residence:

USA Citizens -

a. a valid USA passport; or

b. an original USA birth certificate plus photo ID; or

c. an original Naturalization Certificate

USA Permanent Residents -

a. Original Alien Registration Card (Green Card); or

b. Valid I551 stamp in the traveller's passport

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/can-am/new_yo...scitizen-en.asp

mvSuprise-hug.gif

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Sharon, you have no worries. My sister has been living in the USA since 1967 and she goes home (Newfoundland) every year and she only has to show her Green Card. She is in the process of getting her Canadian Passport (she never did give up her citizenship...........and that goes for me too), only because at the end of 2006/2007 Passports will be a necessity!! Enjoy your trip ...........as long as you have your AP and all that good stuff..you're a shoe in.......................((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” JMAC

June 25, 2004 - Bruce & I met through mutual friends in my hometown in Newfoundland the night before he was going back to Maine

July 1 - First email between us

July 3 - I called him to wish him a Happy Independance Day

Daily phone calls and emails from there on in

October 20 - Bruce drove back to Newfoundland. He planned on staying a week but it ended up being 3 weeks. We knew for a fact we were in love!

March 19/05 - Bruce back in Newfoundland

April 8 - Bruce picked me up in North Sydney, NS and we drove to Maine. I stayed for a week due to work

July 26 - Bruce back to Newfoundland for another 3 weeks. I can't bear to see him leave.

August 10 - He asked me to marry him.........I had already asked him anyway just to make sure*_*

September 30 - I flew to Boston to meet Bruce there and then we drove back to Maine for 2 weeks

November 18 - We filed I-129F

December 1 - NOA Receipt #

December 28 - Received Packet 3

January 6/06 - Received my Police Certificate of Conduct

January 11 - Sent DS-230 Part 1 back to Montreal Consulate

February 3 - Sent off my check list to Montreal Consulate

March 24 - Medical

April 5 - Interview Date.....APPROVED......Yahoo

April 17 - Moving to Maine

May 16 - Bruce & I became Mr. & Mrs. in Las Vegas (Oh HAPPY DAY)

Sharon, you have no worries. My sister has been living in the USA since 1967 and she goes home (Newfoundland) every year and she only has to show her Green Card. She is in the process of getting her Canadian Passport (she never did give up her citizenship...........and that goes for me too), only because at the end of 2006/2007 Passports will be a necessity!! Enjoy your trip ...........as long as you have your AP and all that good stuff..you're a shoe in.......................((((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Nah I don't need my AP if I am a permanent resident who has a green card. :no:

I'm a lot less worried now tho, I'll tell ya! :yes:

smilie_s.gifsmilie_h.gifsmilie_a.gifsmilie_r.gifsmilie_o.gifsmilie_n.gif

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid frickin' Passport Canada. :angry::angry::angry:

I got back BOTH my daughter and my passport applications today with a note that our pics are unacceptable. Apparently, there is a "glare" on our foreheads.

There's no glare. They take over a month to tell me this?

A$$holes.

Looks like I am depending entirely on our green cards to get us over the border and back now so they better work...lol.

I'll get new pics taken of us tomorrow but even if I send them express, i don't see the passports getting back to us in time for when we leave on June 23rd.

Just thought I'd keep you all posted in case anyone else needs to apply for one from within the US as well.

"Life is not measured by how many breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I sent my passport out to have my married name added. My passport doesn't expire until 2009, so I just amended mine

Total time from mailing it, to recieving it back was just under 3 weeks

tamz

I-129F

12.18.04 Mailed I-129F

12.31.04 NOA1

05.17.05 NOA2

08.22.05 Visa Approved in Montreal

08.24.05 POE at Lewiston, NY

08.27.05 Married

AOS/EAD/AP (K-1)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS/EAD & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS/EAD & AP

11.10.05 AP in mail

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

12.27.05 EAD arrives in snail mail

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

AOS&AP (K-2)

09.01.05 Mailed AOS & AP to CHI Lockbox

09.12.05 NOA1 AOS & AP

10.06.05 AOS/AP touched

11.25.05 AP arrived in snail mail.

12.22.05 Biometrics in Birmingham

03.01.06 Got Vacc Supplement in Tuscaloosa $50

04.10.06 Interview in Atlanta..APPROVED!

04.22.06 Green Card Arrives!!

I-751 Remove Conditions

01.10.08 Mailed I-751 to VSC

01.18.08 NOA

01.19.08 NOA/Extention letter for Abbey

02.15.08 Biometrics in Birmingham

02.20.08 Touched

05.16.08 ... waiting....

01.12.08 Approved! Card Ordered

.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Stupid frickin' Passport Canada. :angry::angry::angry:

I got back BOTH my daughter and my passport applications today with a note that our pics are unacceptable. Apparently, there is a "glare" on our foreheads.

There's no glare. They take over a month to tell me this?

A$$holes.

Looks like I am depending entirely on our green cards to get us over the border and back now so they better work...lol.

I'll get new pics taken of us tomorrow but even if I send them express, i don't see the passports getting back to us in time for when we leave on June 23rd.

Just thought I'd keep you all posted in case anyone else needs to apply for one from within the US as well.

You should be ok with just showing your greencards. My son and I were in Canada last summer for 4 weeks (drove) and when we were returning I handed the guy our greencards only. He never asked to see our passports even though I had them on hand. I figured also my D.L. would be acceptable.

Filed: Other Timeline

when you go up in June, have new pics taken there in Canada, you might have better luck with having them done according to Canadian spec. And if you've got a day to kill while there, you can sit and wait in the passport office to hand in your applications. ;)

Have a great holiday! :D

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Sharon, you can also use Birth Certificates (with photo ID, in your case a green card more than likely or DL or state ID) to enter canada also.. it wont be required to have a passport to cross the canada/US border until the end of 2006... maybe getting the passport pic done in canada will be that much easier... Have a good trip back to canada!!

Sharon, you can also use Birth Certificates (with photo ID, in your case a green card more than likely or DL or state ID) to enter canada also.. it wont be required to have a passport to cross the canada/US border until the end of 2006... maybe getting the passport pic done in canada will be that much easier... Have a good trip back to canada!!

Ummmm...in order to apply for our passports....I had to send our original birth certificates with the applications.

They will then send them back to me when they process the passports.

So lucky me, eh? No birth certificates. I have copies yes, but doubt they'd be any good.

I got our new pics done today. I went back to the same place that did our first ones and showed him that they'd been rejected and that they said we had that "glare". The photographer took our pics again but a notch darker and they do look better. As an apology, the photographer not only took our pics again for free but he also gave me back what I'd paid to have them done in the first place. Now I just have to get the pics notarized on Monday and send them back out.

Wanna take bets here, peeps? Who thinks that I will have our passports to go to Canada with on June 23rd?

I'm leaning towards....yes.

No.

I mean yes.

Hell if I know. :P

Edited by Sharon

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Iwouldnt loose any sleep over it. I told them I was a permanent resident, passed over my passport, he didnt even open it, he asked for my greencard and that was it. He paid more attention to my American wife than I!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update - I finally received my daughter's and my passport today via overnight courrier from Passport Canada. They even sent back my old (now expired) passport that they'd punched right thru with 2 holes and stamped "CANCELLED" inside of it. Which I had asked for but stipulated "only if possible" because I wanted it as a souvenir with my permanent resident (I-551) stamp in it....lol.

Total time from the first day I sent it out....2 months and a day.

Of course, there was a delay because of the so-called "glare" problem so make sure your face shows no glare when you send for your passport! :P

10 days till Montreal! :dance:

Yes, Stina, if your passport has your married name (mine now does) then you can get tickets in your married name too. :yes:

Altho....we are driving to Montreal this time. :)

9 days before we get there and I'm already packed! hahaha :lol:

But I'm not excited or anything....lol.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

You do NOT need a passport to travel between the US and Canada. That new law takes effect Jan 1 2008, and until then, you can just use your green card or birth certificate and driver's license, that's it, that's all!!!

Just to keep you all posted on this - I received back the "return receipt" part of the passport forms I sent "registered mail & return receipt requested". just this morning. It states that it was received in Gatineau, Quebec on May 1st. So far, from April 13th's post date, it's been a little under a month since I mailed them out. Hoping to receive the passports back by the end of this month now and will let you know when they arrive.

Marilyn, you telling me you just used your green card to cross over the border makes me feel much more secure, thank you. :) At least I won't be totally freaking out if I don't get our passports in time...lol.

Sean & Tanya

Norfolk, VA & Ottawa, ON

K-1 Journey

August 11, 2006- Sent I-129f ~ Finally!!!

August 12, 2006- I-129f received

August 16, 2006 - N0A1

August 29, 2006 - Touched

Sept 7, 2006 - NOA2 as per USCIS website ~ Approved in 27 days!

Sept 13, 2006- Received N0A2 by mail

Sept 15, 2006- Received letter from NVC dated Sept 13 that case will be sent to Montreal within a week

Oct 2, 2006- Received Packet 3 from MTL!

Oct 11, 2006 - Mailed back Packet 3 to MTL

Oct 19, 2006 - MTL received Packet 3

Nov 15, 2006 - Medical appointment in Ottawa

Dec 22, 2006 - Received Packet #4

Jan 25, 2007 - Interview date @ 14h30

Jan 4th 2007- Phoned MTL Consulate to reschedule interview for late April due to Navy deployment

Yes ma'am.

I tend to worry on the side of caution but that's just me. Better safe than sorry, eh?

Besides, when I had my interview for AoS and was approved, the AO "suggested" that it's a good idea to always have a valid passport to my country seeing I was now a permanent resident.

My passport was going to expire the beginning of this month as well so I thought it a good idea to send away for it. :yes:

That's it, that's all. :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.